Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2009, 8:04 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio

Actually the 2010 is rumored to be hard drive based, only time will tell...
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvw
The differance in the radios is the software that is loaded when the radio is installed

[/RANT]

sorry for that ....had to get it off my chest
Hope you feel better now Shawn ... When you say the "software that is loaded" when the radio is installed. What software are your referring to? Does the radio get loaded software? Again, just trying to figure out my NavTraffic Issue.
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most newer GM Radios are kind of like a computer. They have reprogrammable proms inside of them that store software that tells the radio what to do. When a radio is built, it has software installed into it. As the radios get older, software changes are made to make the radio operate better. Or, if the radio is going to a vehicle with different options(amplified or not, xm, video options etc), the software will vary.
the software that is programmed into a radio, will control things like AM\FM reception, cd operation, EQ settings, turn signal finctionality, auto dimming backlighting, region codes for dvd playback, wether is will read an MP3 or not, I-Pod functionality, and the list goes on.

As for the NavTraffic, I just found a bulletin that talks about replacing the map disc to fix a few areas that were not covered initially. So I think you are right about it being part of the map dvd, but you also must subscribe with XM for this service.

Here is a link to the cities that it covers
www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc
Old September 1st, 2009, 2:44 PM
CF Addict

Default yep

Map disc 4.0c I think is the disc you need to upgrade your firmware.

I don't know of a method to check the firmware from the nav unit...

if i wasn't so poor i'd love to tear it down and see if I couldn't get at the firmware.

maybe this weekend I will have time to look at the DVD, if that has anything useful on it, I will post!

I think also I will go ahead and do the switch on the VSS wire. 7 months and still no fix to voice commands for destinations...
Old September 1st, 2009, 4:54 PM
CF Active Member

Most newer GM Radios are kind of like a computer. They have reprogrammable proms inside of them that store software that tells the radio what to do. When a radio is built, it has software installed into it. As the radios get older, software changes are made to make the radio operate better. Or, if the radio is going to a vehicle with different options(amplified or not, xm, video options etc), the software will vary.
the software that is programmed into a radio, will control things like AM\FM reception, cd operation, EQ settings, turn signal finctionality, auto dimming backlighting, region codes for dvd playback, wether is will read an MP3 or not, I-Pod functionality, and the list goes on.

As for the NavTraffic, I just found a bulletin that talks about replacing the map disc to fix a few areas that were not covered initially. So I think you are right about it being part of the map dvd, but you also must subscribe with XM for this service.

Here is a link to the cities that it covers
www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/market_coverage.xmc
Thanks Shawn... I do have a subscription for NavTraffic and I received version 4.1c of the Nav disc and it didnt do any firmware update when it was inserted. As for the bulletin you are referring to, I think thsat was back in April and it was for other issues that I am not experiencing. I am trying to find out if the factory has a special disc to enable Nav Traffic on installs or if there is another piece of equipment that is needed. If this is a dealer installed accessory, which it is, I would imagine there are written install procedures for the accessory (Nav Radio)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

SabrToothSqrl have you installed the VSS switch? I too have a 09 burb and am wanting to enter addresses on the fly.

Wondering if this trick works on the '09s
Old December 31st, 2009, 7:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys and your part#'s.........Radio part numbers change ALL THE TIME. Why? I don't know. there may very well be 10 different part numbers for the nav radios in the NBS pick-up\suburban\tahoe\hummer\vue\enclave etc etc. The radios in all of these vehicle are EXACTLY the same. from the 07 NBS C\K's up to the 09's. The 2010's could be the same as well(haven't had the chance to work on one yet).
What i'm saying is if SabrToothSqrl, takes his hoe in, and they replace the radio, he could be getting a radio from an 07 vehicle. GM does not replace radios with new units. You get a REMAN radio. and if the radio is the same from an 07pick-up, to an 09 tahoe, you get what you get.
The differance in the radios is the software that is loaded when the radio is installed

[/RANT]

sorry for that ....had to get it off my chest
So you mean to say they can "firmware flash" any software to any unit? If that's the case why are people (like myself) going out to buy the "2009" navigation head unit in order to get XM Navtraffic, when all they have to do is flash the unit?
Old January 4th, 2010, 7:30 AM
CF Addict

Default 2009

Mine is a 2009. I wasn't happy enough w/the results so I pulled mine out

Just get a GM lock pick and use it... people have had good luck w/that...
Old May 17th, 2015, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I have 2 chevy 2007 suburban, I have removed the entire navigation system with Bose speakers to the other 2007 suburban. my problem is; the VSS cable was connect to X2 block with the H1 pin on one SUV, but the other 2007 has a Lt Grn/Wht cable already connected to the H1 pin of the X2 block. Is there another connect to connect the VSS Lt Grn/Eht cable that I took out from the first 2007 suburban. someone previously said the brown connector#4, pin #5, is this correct, I need to get this right, I have been working over 2 weekend doing this Navigation transfer from one SUV to the other SUV before I sell it. I am tired need a rest next weekend. Thanks I appreciate your help.