Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 Suburban transmission

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2011, 6:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerheye
Well, new torque converter did not fix the problem either, then the dealer found a GM bulletin #06-06-05-001E 'information on change in exhaust tone or sound for active fuel management", that goes on to say a slight vibration may be felt when engine switches to V4 at low speeds. This is normal and no repair should be attempted!...
my dealer mentioned the same thing but it is not the same vibration - what I have just started recently and only happens for certain load increases when crusing on the highway
Old December 28th, 2011, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Have they test drove it with you to see/hear/feel the vibration(s)?
or are they shotgunning parts?
Seems like they jumped at the TC awful quickly....

Yes we drove it, they are convinced the bulletin explains it all. Except it just started doing this, and as others have stated theirs dont vibrate at all. If you push the throttle just a touch and put it into v8 it quits the shutter, so I guess its something I will have to live with until I get tired of it and trade. Also I am thinking the cold weather may have something to do with it, like transmission fluid not heating up enough with the trans cooler I put on since it did not do this in the summber. "shrug".
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont give up - we have the same thing going on. I will update more when I take it back in in a week or 2. with mine if I add OR subtract a MPH when crusing it will go away until it settles back in. and mine is not a slight vibration...this is a truck so I am not expecting it to be silky smooth but the vibration I feel is as bad as a tire out of balance - the whole thing vibrates

did they check the engine mounts OR the drive shaft balance?
Old December 28th, 2011, 4:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jerheye,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration with your Suburban. However, am happy to hear that your dealer may have found a solution. Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 29th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
jerheye,

I am sorry to hear of your frustration with your Suburban. However, am happy to hear that your dealer may have found a solution. Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Telling me its normal when its not is not a solution. If its normal why did it start at 28k, and why does the tsb say some people. I have contacted GM they called me back and are kicking it up to a district rep, whatever that means. Louis thanks for looking at our post, didnt mean to sound so abrubt to your post.

Last edited by jerheye; December 29th, 2011 at 8:16 AM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Well, after GM told me it was a normal operation and I said it wasnt, since it started at 28k not 1mile, I filed a complaint with the BBB. GM business contacted me almost as soon as the complaint hit. The GM guy said take it to another dealer,, I said cant they wont attempt to fix because of your bulletin, telling dealers not to attempt to repair, he said o, let me check, he called and said the same thing three diffrent times for three weeks, nothing changed, yesterday BBB called and said GM would like to fix your vehicle if you agree; they have thirty days, they will get in touch with you, of course I agreed, since that is what I wanted. Will update when I hear from them.
Old February 9th, 2012, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

This is a well known issue. I'd guess you'd say that officially it's "normal", but that doesn't mean that it's right. Mine has been doing it since day one. It's distracting and I hate it, my 2000 Yukon with 200K miles is much more pleasant to drive. It's caused by the stupid AFM. The GM dealer is not lying to you when they tell you they can't disable it. They can't. Not with their Tech2 tool.

What others have done - not that I recommend this of course -- is spend $389 on a Diablo InTune. You can leave it totally stock programming, and just disable AFM. Or you can put in the 87 octane tune, which is a mild performance gain. Officially changing the tune of your truck will cause GM to void your warranty. Diablo says that it's not traceable. Your original CAL id is backed up to the device so you simply restore the original file when and if you ever need to take it to the dealer. Other people say that GM can tell, even though your original calibration is on the truck. Diablo says they can't. I don't know who to believe.

I know that when my truck is out of warranty, that'll be the first thing that I buy. I really don't want to jeopardize my warranty even though I believe the chances would be miniscule, I don't want to take that chance. But the minute it's out of warranty, I'm buying the InTune and disabling the damn AFM.