Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Global A High Nav Disc

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2011, 9:11 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 Hard Drive

are the 2012s HDD? then why are there discs online?

the web ****e shows the 2007 sat nav, so there's nothing to see on it.

leave it to GM to not bother to update there web site when trying to sell me a $60,000 SUV...
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SabrToothSqrl,

The newer HDD system has a single slot player for the navigation DVD or CD, as well as AM/FM/XM (if vehicle is equipped with XM) Radio. The user-friendly, 6.5-inch LCD touch screen also makes address inputs quick and easy. The HDD is a specially designed, highly durable, automotive version of the hard drive that you have in your personal computer. It is used to store digital music and other information that you might use while you're driving. It also may include Gracenotes, which is music software that will display information about the track currently playing on your vehicle's sound system, including the artist's name, the song title, and the album title on which the song was released.

I'm not sure which vehicle you were searching for, but the 2012 Tahoe offers a 2012 navigation disc. However, the latest update for the 2009 Tahoe's is currently the 2011 navigation disc.

Updates will be posted to: GM Nav Disc Center - Program Overview or by calling the toll-free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Addict

Default okay

So, the new HDD is only for storing music? Something that any 6 year old with an ipod already can do...

How much market research led you to believe that your target demographic didn't already own an ipod?
Yea, that's what people 30-55 want. something else to load up with mp3s, when they don't even know what a mp3 is!

Didn't the MyGig do this way back in 2006?

Your only 6 years behind the competition... that's... that's... something.. right?

So... from what I understand is, someone at GM saw this page (from 6 years ago) and said "we can do that"

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6199/

then... 6 years later... they did?

From what I've read on this forum the ipod/GM integration isn't working too well...

And it's most likely a laptop SATA hard drive. 2.5" so one could rip it out and throw in a bigger one if the kindergarten OS doesn't complain.

But, thank you for elaborating, shame that this 'new' feature is so old... Can you describe for us technology provided by GM that we haven't seen for 6 years? And if you describe the burst into flames letdown of a hunchback known as the Volt I might just vomit on my keyboard... It's a plug in hybrid. Toyota beat you to it. The engine has a direct power path to the wheels. It's old school.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 14th, 2011 at 8:19 AM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 7:57 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha - so right
Hard drives for storing music in vehicles is nothing "new" unless you are GM...at least they are finally getting on the bandwagon
Old December 14th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

Anyway, back on topic:

When will the 2012 update be available for my 2009?

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 14th, 2011 at 8:28 AM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 1:29 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

After using a Garmin in my RV, I'm wondering why GM continues to use a DVD based system that can't even get the voice recognition to work. Plus they'd save money. If my radio display wasn't on the screen, I'd just mount the Garmin there.

Taking it in next week (again) and leaving so they can see how when it's cold, it shows the "No GPS" symbol and sometimes doesn't even know where it is.
Old December 15th, 2011, 1:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Anyway, back on topic:

When will the 2012 update be available for my 2009?

Maybe they pull a Microsoft and just quit supporting the "old" Nav system.

PS: I liked your first version of Post #13.

Last edited by 73shark; December 15th, 2011 at 1:35 PM.
Old December 16th, 2011, 9:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have contacted the GM Navigation Center. I received much of the same information already posted, but was able to get a bit more. The 2012 Navigation disc is currently unavailable for Tahoe's. The latest version of the Tahoe disc is the 2011. There is currently no release date for the 2012 Tahoe discs, however, the Customer Service Rep stated that more often than not new discs are available shortly after the first of the year. When the 2012 disc is available for Tahoe's, it will be posted to their website for purchase. Check their site periodically for updates at: GM Nav Disc Center - Program Overview

Note: The 2012 disc (part # 22827639), currently available on the site is not compatible with the Tahoe.

If there are any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

Originally Posted by 73shark
Maybe they pull a Microsoft and just quit supporting the "old" Nav system.

PS: I liked your first version of Post #13.
I try to keep it professional and on-topic, but sometimes even I slip.

I don't know why I bother other than my own entertainment...

I've thought many a time about creating a car site where you enter any make/model/year and I give you the info on what's wrong with the thing. I could pick anything apart.

I 2nd the whole voice thing. WAZE on my iphone can say street names... as can my friend's 6 year old child.... GM headunits however continue on with the programming equivalent of 20 monkeys glued to an etch-a-sketch.

..But I digest.

I'll attempt not to berate the customer service person for pointing out the painfully obvious fact that I can 'keep checking' the web site. I was, after all, with my 10+ years in I.T. unaware that I could, for example, but obviously not limited to, re-check a web site, and say, perhaps if that web site was even slightly useful, unlike most GM web sites, that haven't been updated since JFK was around, it may possibly, or even conceivably contain pertinent information similar to the information I may be on the web site looking for.

I mean, right?

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 16th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old December 16th, 2011, 1:37 PM
Administrator

I just got a new AT&T cordless phone for the house and it actually speaks whatever is on the caller ID. Imagine that.

Quick Reply: 2012 Global A High Nav Disc