Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Global A High Nav Disc

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol

we 'hope' there will be updated roads.

anyone here use "WAZE" on your smart phone?
Old February 9th, 2012, 9:56 AM
CF Addict

Default 2012s for 2011 and older...

So far... nothing

no new nav DVD for 2012 yet.

Apparently you need to buy a whole new vehicle to get newer maps!
Old February 9th, 2012, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
anyone here use "WAZE" on your smart phone?
I checked it out after you mentioned it here, I do like it so far, even more so then Google Navigation with traffic, the voice is much cleaner/clearer, the instant pop up traffic updates with a time stamp is really nice....
Thanks STS, another great find on the app front (the last one I liked was Mint)
Old February 10th, 2012, 8:23 AM
CF Addict

Default waze

I love the dynamic zoom on waze. I wish more GPSs had that.

if I'm doing 60, zoom to 1 mile, 80, 2 miles.

if I'm doing 20 zoom to 700 feet.

etc. etc.

Mint is nice, however it can't track 2 of my accounts, and when you pay off a loan, and thus remove it from mint, it's like it never happened, which isn't really the same as the real world... but it's a great product once you get past the 'feels like a scam to enter my info' part.

I do like the reminders "large purchase XYZ has cleared", etc.... you are at $26 of your $25 for fast food fatty

ok, i added the fatty, but still.

I see WAZE getting better over time, as well as the feature to "build road" is very cool, but too hard to use, I tried building a road (my neighborhood) by driving it at least a dozen times, but it doesn't get to the maps automatically, so it would just get deleted or some approval BS... ticked me off to the point of giving up... if I add a road, and I'm driving at least 20, it's safe to assume I'm not lying, and it's a road. if people complain, then REMOVE the road. It should be a free for all to add, then remove upon issues found.

Anyway, still waiting on that 2012 DVD for us pre 2012 Tahoes...

Speaking of tech, my dad bought a 2012 Toyota Tacoma pickup, with the optional sat-nav.

HOLY COW toyota, way to come out of left field with a GPS that WORKS.

within 2 min I had his whole iphone phone book synced. incoming calls show the NUMBER AND THE NAME on the dash! as do outgoing, you can say CALL "NAME" from ANY of your phone's address book, and it WORKS. you can enter your destination WHILE MOVING using your voice, in NATURAL speech

"1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC" vs. Reverse polish of GM world, and only under 8 MPH.

the stupid thing just WORKS. very easy. I even had Pandora streaming within the same 2 min! it could use a bigger screen, but the toyota head unit was VERY capable, and pleasing to work with.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe its Lexus that is starting to use a "mouse" to control the Nav/Ent system. I really like that idea because you don't have to reach across and block the view of the screen or even lean forward to change settings...
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl

"1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC" vs. Reverse polish of GM world, and only under 8 MPH.

So the GM nav voice recognition only works below 8 mph? I didn't know that. Probably explains why I can't get it to work except when I'm sitting in the driveway.

Why they don't just use a Garmin, I'll never know.
Old February 10th, 2012, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What version

I recently picked up an 08 suburban. How do I know what version nav disk I am running?
Old February 11th, 2012, 8:03 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Go into the Nav menu and select "change database" (I think that's what it's called) and the screen will rotate and come out and eject the map DVD.
Old February 12th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old February 13th, 2012, 9:19 AM
CF Addict

Default Voice

Sorry; let me clarify;

voice can be used any time

you can only enter addresses by touch under 8 MPH. so rather than driving along with the cruise at 55, and in light traffic, glancing down to enter a destination, you must slam the brakes, in the passing lane, drop to 8MPH, put on your flashers, then enter your destination.

Quick Reply: 2012 Global A High Nav Disc