Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2013 Tahoe issue with Iphone 5 USB

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2012, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Tahoe issue with Iphone 5 USB

I got an IPHONE 5 a week after I got a new Tahoe. The Iphone 4 worked with the USB for music perfectly....but the 5 is not visible through the lightening USB connection. I am guessing that this is a firmware update, but the dealer has no clue. Thoughts??
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:55 PM
CF Senior Member

My iPhone 5 works fine in my 2013 suburban and 2012 tahoe
Old December 11th, 2012, 2:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

shineiton,

If you recieve a "Device Not Supported" message on the radio or are having a connection issue, the device may need to be restarted. To reset, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider.

To obtain full use capabilities of the device, it needs to be fully powered up when connecting to the USB port. If these devices are fully powered down or in “sleep” mode, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on the top of the device for a few seconds and if an unlock pass code is required, enter the pass code as well as slide the lower “Unlock” slider.

Inspect cable for quality, aftermarket cables can wear from use.

Try downloading the latest firmware from the Apple website at: Apple

I hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Having the same issue, everything i have tried has not worked, tried the iPhone5 in my buddies 2011 Denali worked without a problem

When i plug it into my 13 Tahoe i get this media is not compatible
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Also having issue with Iphone5 not working through USB AUX connection.

Hello - Interested to see some other folks are having bug issues. Strangely, my iphone 5 worked just fine in my 2011 Tahoe LTZ initially. However, I'm not sure if perhaps it was due to an iOS update or not, but it just stopped working. When the iPhone is plugged into the systems using the lightning connect, the truck will detect it - but NO Music will come through the speakers... It just stopped working. I've tried multiple cables, it is NOT the cable. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Eric Roberts
Hello - Interested to see some other folks are having bug issues. Strangely, my iphone 5 worked just fine in my 2011 Tahoe LTZ initially. However, I'm not sure if perhaps it was due to an iOS update or not, but it just stopped working. When the iPhone is plugged into the systems using the lightning connect, the truck will detect it - but NO Music will come through the speakers... It just stopped working. I've tried multiple cables, it is NOT the cable. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Eric Roberts,

Has the iOS been updated recently?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 18th, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

I just got a 2013 Chevy Tahoe and my USB will let me play songs from music on my iPhone 5 (i.e., downloaded from iTunes)...but I get a "Device not supported" message when I try to listen to my Spotify app. Anyone else able to play Spotify (or Pandora) through either USB or Bluetooth in their Tahoe?

Note: My iPhone software is completely up-to-date

Thanks!
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

From what I have read, the 2013 Tahoe does not support streaming audio over bluetooth or usb. The usb port to the Iphone is really treating the Iphone as a MPS player and reading the files, as it would a thumb drive. Unfortunately, if you wish to do this it looks like you need to seek an aftermarket bluetooth device that will provide this functionality.

You may be interested in the Scosche device called the motor mouth II. It will provide the functionality that you require.

motorMOUTH II stereo | by Scosche

You will see in their web images, the dash of a Chev truck as the example.

It looks like the chev mylink and other future systems from GM will support common functionality already found in aftermarket systems from Kenwood and Alpine.

You may also want to speak with your dealer and see if you can discuss options with their audio service company. There may be other options available to make this easier.
Old March 19th, 2013, 8:07 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jeep

My iphone 5 works great in my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon I bought last night

Makes the head unit on my GM look like an etch-a-sketch.
Old March 19th, 2013, 1:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by jay345678912
I just got a 2013 Chevy Tahoe and my USB will let me play songs from music on my iPhone 5 (i.e., downloaded from iTunes)...but I get a "Device not supported" message when I try to listen to my Spotify app. Anyone else able to play Spotify (or Pandora) through either USB or Bluetooth in their Tahoe?

Note: My iPhone software is completely up-to-date

Thanks!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> jay345678912,

Congratulations on your new Tahoe!

Pandora, Spotify and other streaming apps can be used using the auxiliary jack.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2013 Tahoe issue with Iphone 5 USB