Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Stabilitrak problems

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2018, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was googling the same problem
just bought new Tahoe 2019 from local dealer in Saudi Arabia Jeddah
after I paid in cash the car price, and @ zero mile, at the show room when engine started it showed the same problem and they are telling me to come back in few days. they will do recheck at maintenance to fix the problem
the refuses to substitute the car, they didn't provide me a replacement car till they fix the problem , they are not willing to give me my money back I find that ironic when GM commercials speaking about warranty and road help while GM cars disabled and not functioning at the show room
I regret that I bought GM car
this just happened today 27/12/2018
car vin # 1GNSC7EC5KR165060
I FILED A COMPLAINT VIA CHEVROLET ARABIA BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T EXPECT MUCH FROM THEM
Old March 6th, 2019, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Welcome to the forum, Ricky

We’re very sorry to learn of these difficulties with your Chevy, and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused. If you would like to further discuss with our team, we encourage you to send us a private message with more information at your earliest convenience. We welcome the opportunity to look into your situation on our end.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
What was the final fix for this issue and were you able to reach Chevrolet? Our 2015 LTZ Suburban having the same issues but, at least for now, we're not included in the Chevrolet Recall #18289.
Old August 16th, 2019, 8:14 PM
ac1
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Service Stabilitrak

I have a 2015 Suburban LT with the heavy duty towing package and am getting the "Service Stabilitrak" message when at low speed. I'm also experiencing a loss of power steering occasionally when I get the message and it seems to have worsened since I had the EPS recall work performed (18V586000). Lately, when I get the message the AC fan stops or slows as well. I've also received the "Service Trailer Brake System" once or twice. This seems to be a common problem but no clear fix is apparent in any of the message boards I've read. Has anyone definitively identified the cause?

This vehicle is the first GM car I've purchased after a long string of vehicles from Toyota, Acura, and Honda. I bought it because I need the towing capacity and a comfortable fit for my family of 6 (it was either a Suburban or Expedition). I went with a 2 year old GM Certified Preowned model that I found at a dealer but I'm not sure what they "certified". Under the certified warranty they had to fix an oil pan seal leak, the rear defroster, a rear headrest, a middle seat release, and an air conditioner coil. Obviously, I've been very disappointed.

I'm hesitant to bring it in to the dealer because the problem is intermittent and I've seen a few examples of fishing expeditions resulting in several thousands of dollars of ineffective repairs. Even the service advisor I chatted with when I did the EPS recall was worried about being able to successfully troubleshoot it

How can an issue with a major safety system be as prevalent as this one seems without some fix from GM? Has anyone communicated with NHTSA? Is this a solved problem or not?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or guidance.

Last edited by ac1; August 17th, 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old August 17th, 2019, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ac1
I have a 2015 Suburban LT with the heavy duty towing package and am getting the "Service Stabilitrak" message when at low speed. I'm also experiencing a loss of power steering occasionally when I get the message and it seems to have worsened since I had the EPS recall work performed (18V586000). Lately, when I get the message the AC fan stops or slows as well. I've also received the "Service Trailer Brake System" once or twice. This seems to be a common problem but no clear fix is apparent in any of the message boards I've read. Has anyone definitively identified the cause?

This vehicle is the first GM car I've purchased after a long string of vehicles from Toyota, Acura, and Honda. I bought it because I need the towing capacity and a comfortable fit for my family of 6 (it was either a Suburban or Expedition). I went with a 2 year old GM Certified Preowned model that I found at a dealer but I'm not sure what they "certified". Under the certified warranty they had to fix an oil pan seal leak, the rear defroster, a rear headrest, a middle seat release, and an air conditioner coil. Obviously, I've been very disappointed.

I'm hesitant to bring it in to the dealer because the problem is intermittent and I've seen a few examples of fishing expeditions resulting in several thousands of dollars of ineffective repairs. Even the service advisor I chatted with when I did the EPS recall was worried about being able to successfully troubleshoot it

How can an issue with a major safety system be as prevalent as this one seems without some fix from GM? Has anyone communicated with NHTSA? Is this a solved problem or not?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or guidance.
So a year later with ours, I hope we're finally through it. There appears to be an under-designed power distribution system on these trucks. Our first fix was a new battery. Suspect it showed as charged, which caused the alternator to lower power output, which limited power to the electronic control systems (power steering is now electric too). With a new battery, errors went away for about 6 months. Symptoms began repeating with multiple error codes and would stall when braking (!) or driving slowly, so back to the dealer. They claimed to have measured a high resistance along the power distribution cable (big red one on the positive battery terminal) and replaced it. We also had them replace the left cheek driver assistance buzzer because it was also bad (I was worried it may be drawing power and contributing to the problem). Knock on wood... have not had more issues.

With so much being powered electronically, keeping ample voltage/current on the power side seems to be extra important. If your battery is 3+ years old, get a new one and see how it goes.
Old August 18th, 2019, 9:39 AM
ac1
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by r38040
So a year later with ours, I hope we're finally through it. There appears to be an under-designed power distribution system on these trucks. Our first fix was a new battery. Suspect it showed as charged, which caused the alternator to lower power output, which limited power to the electronic control systems (power steering is now electric too). With a new battery, errors went away for about 6 months. Symptoms began repeating with multiple error codes and would stall when braking (!) or driving slowly, so back to the dealer. They claimed to have measured a high resistance along the power distribution cable (big red one on the positive battery terminal) and replaced it. We also had them replace the left cheek driver assistance buzzer because it was also bad (I was worried it may be drawing power and contributing to the problem). Knock on wood... have not had more issues.

With so much being powered electronically, keeping ample voltage/current on the power side seems to be extra important. If your battery is 3+ years old, get a new one and see how it goes.
Thanks, I'll try the battery today. I had it checked fairly recently at Autozone and it got a clean bill of health but I'll change/upgrade it anyway. (update: I installed a Duralast Platinum H7-AGM, 850CCA/1000A nominal)

I think the manufacturer has a duty to address a design mistake, if that is the case, in the electrical distribution system that impacts stability control, steering, brakes, and even continued operation of the engine. There are already a few mentions of this issue in the NHTSA complaints section. I'll log some data and look at adding my voice. This thread has been viewed more than 31k times so we can infer that these aren't isolated problems.

Last edited by ac1; August 18th, 2019 at 7:22 PM.
Old August 19th, 2019, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Our vehicle was not included in the recall below, however, I suspect they just don't fully understand how broad the issue is.
  1. Also an ongoing recall for 2015 Suburban…. Just not for this car: Chevrolet Recall 18289: Temporary Loss Of Electric Power Steering (EPS) ? 2015 Suburban | CarComplaints.com
“”Chevrolet Recall 18289: Temporary Loss Of Electric Power Steering (EPS)

2015 Chevrolet Suburban

Date Announced SEP 07, 2018

Vehicles Affected1,015,918

Chevrolet Recall #18289

NHTSA Campaign #18V586000
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2015 Suburban 2WD Stabilitrak Issues

Similar to what some of you have experienced, our 2015 Suburban started experiencing loss of power steering, complete loss of power, stabilitrack warning signals and media until restarts. All but the media unit issues happen at extremely low speeds and mostly when making sharp turns at low speeds. Last year, at local Chevy dealers recommendation, I had f-module replaced, negative battery cable replaced, alll Chevy recall updateds, including 18289, performed. Nothing satisfied the problem. I had a relatively new Interstate battery replaced in Sept. 2018. This seemed to satisfy the problems until August 2019. I've recently started experiencing the same problems i had last year. After servicing at the local Chevy dealership last week, it was recommended that the throttle body be cleaned due to carbon buildup. This service was performed. There were no codes indicated on the diagnostic screening. Two days later, 9/2/19, I experienced media unit reset, stabilitrak, and loss of power steering issues.

What is concerning is that the Chevy dealerships can't identify the problem and perform service to satisfy the problem. Last year our dealership said they were talking with Chevy engineers concerning the problem. If that was the case, why can't they develop a solution? I don't consider buying a new battery every year as an acceptable solution. My first Chevy experience has not been an positive one.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrgunnells:
ARG2015 (January 13th, 2020), Nel Damian (April 6th, 2022)
Old September 6th, 2019, 7:47 AM
ac1
CF Beginner

Default 18 days later...

Well, after replacing the battery on my 2015 Suburban on 8/18/19 with the best thing they had at Autozone the problem went away for 18 days (!). See post 25 above. Yesterday I got the "Service Trailer Brake System" message about a dozen times. This was the precursor to "Service Stabilitrack" messages before.

Update 10/25/19: I don't think the "Service Trailer Brake System" was related after all. After reading that it could be a problem with the controls on the dash I exercised the buttons for the brake controler (gain and manual brake) and it went away. So, now I think the Service Stablitrak message was fixed with the new battery.

Last edited by ac1; October 25th, 2019 at 7:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ARG2015 (January 13th, 2020)
Old October 9th, 2019, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by brinson
I have a 15 Tahoe LTZ and it has several eledtronics issues and was wondering if anyone esle has experienced similar issues. It is giving a warning for Stablitrak disabled, and may cause difficulty steering. The side blind zone alert and lane change alert icons in the mirrors flash on and off intermittently with no other cars in sight. The park assist disabled warning is displayed. And lastly it will turn the steering wheel right or left while driving with no warning! I dropped it off at the dealership for the 3d time today for these issues. Has anyone seen any of these problems? I do not feel comfortable letting my wife drive this vehicle until it is resolved.
Stabiltrak ... check the ride level sensors my truck was doing the exact same an it was the height sensors
Old January 13th, 2020, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

I am experiencing the same thing with my 2015 Suburban LTZ. At low speeds, stabilitrac warning followed by instrument panel and radio turning off, power steering disables and vehicle shuts off. MOST of the time it flashes and all comes right back on. Ocasionally I have to pull over and restart my car. Battery has been diagnosed as still working, but looks like I may need to replace it anyway? Anyone else have any sure fix from a dealership?

Quick Reply: 2015 Stabilitrak problems