Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban Issues

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2017, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 2015 Suburban Issues

Hi Folks - long time reader, first time poster.

I purchased a 2015 Suburban LTZ back in May 2017, had about 32K miles - 4K or so left on the bumper to bumper but had the additional 12 month / 12K CPO warranty attached to it as well. Dealer said that it was turned in right off of a lease, clean as a whistle, no issues with Carfax.

So far, I'm 6 months in and about 10K miles down, and the Chevy ownership experience has been nothing but a headache. The issues that I've encountered are below. Note, just because an issue is listed once, that doesn't mean that one issue = one trip to the dealer to have it addressed. My dealer doesn't keep much inventory so each time required parts to be ordered.

1. Air conditioner blower fan (first diagnosis, parts ordered, return trip to have it installed)
2. Driver side seat frame (first diagnosis was clips were added to secure the frame, second diagnosis and return were for a full frame replacement and installation)
3. Passenger side retractable side rail (techs could not replicate the issue the first 2 times I took it in, the 3rd time I had video proof, ordered a replacement and returned for install)
4. Air conditioner condenser (one time to diagnose, parts needed to be ordered, return visit to repair)
5. Metallic/scraping noise on startup - determined to be the Starter/fly wheel (first diagnosis was a starter cover, replaced, still making noise, second diagnosis was that the after marker oil filter was causing the noise, third diagnosis was the starter and flywheel were what was causing the noise)

This list doesn't include 5 hours in the waiting room for a tire to be patched, only for me to take the truck back home and wake up the next morning with half a flat again. I was really happy about that one AND the plastic trim next to the windows on the drivers and passengers side doors coming loose and flapping around in the wind.

Some of my issues may be attributable to the local Chevy dealer's service department...this is not the dealer where I purchased the vehicle, but is 10 minutes away compared with the 45+ for the other dealer where I purchased it - but if there were no problems I wouldn't have to take it there in the first place.

All of the repair work has been under warranty so I haven't had to pay anything out of pocket (except for the oil change/filter replacement) and they've provided a loaner when I've asked for one. I'm just soured by this whole experience...I've read a lot about the problems that some people are having with the Tahoes and the road noise - glad I'm not there, but still am I just full of bad luck with this truck or what?

Trying to be positive - this was the vehicle that I wanted and I was determined to "keep it until the wheels fall off" but I'm not sure how I can do this as the warranty ticks down and things continue to go wrong.
Old November 13th, 2017, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you are experiencing all these issues. There are definitely quality problems with some of GM's newer trucks (2015+). I hope the dealer can get them fixed for you as soon as possible.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

As soon as one thing is fixed another issue comes up - we had some rain in PA yesterday, there is a stain on my roof liner, drivers side, from a leak somewhere and it was wet to the touch this morning.
Will be bringing it back in again on Friday.
At this rate, I'll have an entirely new truck with all of the replaced parts before the warranty is up.

As an aside, I got a Flowmaster 40 muffler put on last week, sounds like an actual v8 and not a sewing machine.
Old November 14th, 2017, 8:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Sunroof drains clogged?
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Cleared them out not too long ago with a stretched out wire hanger and poured water down them to test the drainage. Can’t believe they would’ve clogged again so quickly without even opening the sunroof since then.
Not sure if there’s a hidden drain somewhere else along the roof that could be causing this.
Old November 16th, 2017, 8:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I learned way back in the '70s is that you never buy a vehicle with t-tops or sunroof if you plan on keeping it more than 3-5 years, especially if you don't park inside a garage. They always seem to develop problems after that. Either leaks, mechanical issues or drive motor failures.
Old November 17th, 2017, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Back in for service to look at the leak. Did some research, found that it's most likely the sharkfin antenna and the seal - people have had issues with that on the '15 Tahoe/Suburbans.

So at least I'll know how to direct them if/when they call me to tell me they didn't find anything and the sunroof drains are clear
Old November 20th, 2017, 7:19 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Thanks for the update. My sunroof is 9 years old with no leaks ( luckily)

SD
Old November 20th, 2017, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

It was the antenna (there's a thread around somewhere with people having the issues on production runs of Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans from this model year).

They're replacing the seal and detailing the water marks on the headliner out.
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds to me like the dealer is addressing and fixing every problem. No dealer can keep stock on every part. Even the other dealer would not have the parts you need. Most small dealers already keep $300 000 in stock.

One day away is the typical delivery time for any manufacturer. The parts warehouses are huge; city blocks in some cases and they don;t have everything.