Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban: new convert buying guidance?

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Suburban: new convert buying guidance?

I'm hoping to be a soon x-owner of a 15 year old pathfinder and brand new owner of a 2015 Suburban. After taking a spin through the dealer options and a couple of tire and aftermarket sites, I figured I needed some advice so I stumbled onto this forum. A quick search didn't help me locate the following so I'm posting my first post and asking:

Is there a guide for making your first Suburban/Tahoe purchase?

I generally keep my vehicles a long time, in good condition and just below average mileage. With that in mind, I'm planning on getting a fully loaded one, what would you recommend getting from the dealer and what would you not?

I was thinking of a 4WD LTZ trim with sun & destinations package, and towing. Figured go with standard wheels and then get aftermarket 22" & brush guard. Are there some that work better than others or most reputable after-market companies can sell something based on the model?

Thanks for any pointers and info.
Old December 11th, 2014, 7:26 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheels

skip the aftermarket wheels. the 20s will ride better and you won't have any TPMS issues.

Shop around, I guess, would be my advice.

test all the things that are supposed to work before you sign.

Also, the 2015 can come with either the old 6 speed or newer 8 speed transmission.

If you aren't in a hurry, find one with the 8 speed.
Old December 11th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. What's the easiest way to identify the 8 speed?

When are the 2016s out and do we know any of the changes slated for them?

I really wanted the larger wheels in black for the look. Are people not seeing success with those?
Old December 11th, 2014, 9:34 AM
CF Addict

Default wheels

2016s wont arrive until August 2015.

going to a larger wheel reduces tire sidewall. several other members have regretted this because it causes a harsher ride for what should be a living room on wheels.

I've had success with plasti-dip.

And you can remove it anytime you want

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Suburban: new convert buying guidance?-10702168_10203791337876772_4059815256821919008_n.jpg  
Old December 11th, 2014, 5:52 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

numloc: welcome to the forum.

Be sure to get in writing anything that the dealership promises to deliver after the sale. Most dealerships have a form for this called "We Owe You". This can include things such as free oil and filter changes for a specified period of time, free tire rotation and balance for a specified period of time, and a free floor mat for the third row seats. Unless things have changed since the 2010 model, the third row floor mat is not standard.
Old December 11th, 2014, 8:32 PM
CF Senior Member

They can offer you factory 22's with dueler hl's. But as had been suggested stick with the 20s. The ride and steering will be great. I am opting for the 4wd ltz too. No roof or the extra alarm systems.

I did not know about the 8 speed tranny.
Old December 12th, 2014, 7:57 AM
CF Addict

Default tranny

We Drive GM's Full-Size 2015 Pickups and SUVs with 8-Speed Automatic ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

also, plasti dip comes in spray paint cans at lowes for like $5.00

was $22 maybe total to do all 4 of my wheels and badges with 1/2 a can left over.

$22 in removable black spray vs. $2,000+ for actual black wheels... your call.
Old December 12th, 2014, 8:58 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

going slightly off topic , SabrToothSqrl I see in your photo of your ride, that you have security cameras mounted to your garage, what brand of DVR do you use? I have a NightOwl, and have not been able to get the email a frame shot feature to work ( maybe I just haven't set up the server correctly)
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

In reading the article and looking around, it doesn't sound like the Tahoe/Suburban lines will get this 8 spd. It looks like it's 'reserved' for the 6.2L engine. Is there any data to the contrary?

as a side question: being new to the GM SUV lines, what are the meaningful differences between a 2015 Suburban LTZ and 2015 Yukon Denali XL?

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
also, plasti dip comes in spray paint cans at lowes for like $5.00

was $22 maybe total to do all 4 of my wheels and badges with 1/2 a can left over.

$22 in removable black spray vs. $2,000+ for actual black wheels... your call.

This does look like a very appealing thing to try, especially given the ability to take it off if I don't like the outcome. Thanks.
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

They are for the most part the same sans some exterior styling and a few extra upgrades in the GMC version, the Chevy's can get pretty basic, where as the GMC's usually start out as a step up from basic and continues that trend up to the Cadillac...
The frame is all the same as is the body, but chassis enhancements in suspension and ride, interior detail and trim and insulation as well as electronic appointments go up with each model...
my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: 2015 Suburban: new convert buying guidance?