Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban tow capability

Old May 10th, 2019, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Suburban tow capability

Hey all,
Quick question about towing with our '15 Surburban 4wd LTZ. We (family w/ 4 kids) are looking into purchasing a travel trailer. Our suburban unfortunately doesn't have the tow package option. Which leaves it with 5.3L V8, 3.08 axle ratio, 6000lb towing capacity, GCWR is 12000, curb weight 5775 and max tongue weight 1000 but would plan to add trailer brake system and and weight distributing hitch. Any other suggestions that would improve tow capability/stability? The trailer we are looking at is 4600 lb dry weight with potential GVWR of 6000. Would plan to tow with empty tanks. https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sport.../231BHKLE.html
Would you feel comfortable towing that trailer or should we look for something smaller? Let me know if other info is needed
Thanks again in advance.
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:18 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i could see you over the GCW just with the adults and 4 kids with that trailer. i wouldnt try to max it out, but thats me. on my 91 crew cab i know i maxed it out a few times hauling a trailer full of construction material. DOT doesnt really bother the average joe so to me as long as i could stop i was happy. the only real issue i would be worried about is overloading the trans, i would be monitoring the trans temp.
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trailer is too heavy for what you have. It's recommended to allow 15-25% safety margin. Irish is correct. By the time you load the Suburban and trailer you'll be close to or over the CGVWR for your Suburban even with empty tanks and no safety margin. My '06 Ram 1500 has a recommended towing weight of 7,750 lbs but that only allows for a 150 lb driver. Realistically I can only tow a trailer of about 5,000 lbs. I did tow a 7500 lb load (1500 lb trailer and 6,000 lbs of mulch) one time, but it was only my son and I in the cab and nothing in the bed. I was probably right at the limit, but was only going about 25 miles.
Old May 11th, 2019, 3:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Are you planning to tow the trailer locally, or are you planning cross-country trips?

The problem with Suburbans is the payload. You likely have a 1500-1600-lb payload rating, and if the trailer tongue is 1000, that doesn't leave a lot for people and gear. The second problem is the rear axle weight rating. You probably have a 4200-lb rating, which is easily exceeded due to the extra body panels and glass (compared to a pickup).

If you're smart, and don't pack a ton of crap, you should be fine. I towed a 7,000-lb trailer to Yellowstone with my '01 half-ton Burb.

The weak link is not the transmission (though you should keep an eye on its temp), it's the rear axle. If you're planning long trips, I'd get a diff cover with cooling fins, to keep the temperatures down. My '01 half-ton, now owned by a friend, is on rear axle #4 precisely because I was towing heavy over long distance.

The absolute key to being safe is weighing your rig. Make sure you're not overloading anything. If you can't interpret these, learn and research more before you tow:

2015 Suburban tow capability-jtfxz8o.jpg
2015 Suburban tow capability-eolcu27.jpg
Old May 11th, 2019, 5:28 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Taken from the below link
TRAILER TONGUE WEIGHT NOTES Trailer tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight up to 1,200 lbs. The addition of trailer tongue weight must not cause vehicle to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

Finally, the RGAWR is the maximum allowable weight the rear axle can carry. You can weigh your fully loaded vehicle and trailer at a multi-platform weigh station to determine the weight on the rear axle of the vehicle and ensure that you do not exceed the RGAWR. You can find both the GVWR and the RGAWR on the Certification/Tire label, which is found on the rear edge of the driver door.

NOTES ON COLORADO, TAHOE AND SUBURBAN Trailer weight ratings are calculated assuming a base vehicle, except for any option(s) necessary to achieve the rating, plus driver. The weight of other optional equipment, passengers and cargo will reduce the trailer weight your vehicle can tow. See your Chevrolet dealer for additional details. Trailer tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight (up to 1,000 lbs.). Addition of trailer tongue weight must not cause vehicle weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The HeavyDuty Trailering Package (K5L) includes auxiliary external transmission fluid cooler and engine oil cooler.
https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...ide_122215.pdf

about the cooling cover. there is a video on youtube where this guy take the covers and cuts the back off and applies a Plexiglas cover. he then shows how much "turbulence" they covers cause and how they effect the distribution of gear oil in the rear axle.
Old September 15th, 2022, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

It sounds like you're well-informed about towing capacity and safety measures, so that's great! From what you've said, it seems like the 4600lb trailer would be within your Suburban's lenght and towing capacity. However, I would recommend erring on the side of caution and maybe looking for a slightly smaller trailer, just to be safe. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to towing!

Last edited by Alex91; September 16th, 2022 at 7:36 AM.
Old September 16th, 2022, 5:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For short trips locally you may get by with it. For any real distance trips, I would suggest a bigger truck, or a smaller trailer.
Old September 17th, 2022, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Hi - I tow a TT with a 6000lb dry weight 7600lb gross weight. I am right at the max payload and rear wheel axle rating for my 2018 suburban. It does fine on flat roads but struggles on even the slightest incline. With a 6000lb gross weight trailer, towing won’t be a problem except in steep mountains, but the issue will still be the payload and rear axle weight. I am switching to a 3/4 ton truck for my trailer. If you’re planning on a few trips a year, you’ll be fine. You’ll need a decent weight distribution hitch. I use a ProPride and am very happy with it. The Tekonsha brake controller also works well and if the you get the $20 adapter it plugs right in to the panel in the suburban (in front of your left knee).
Old September 18th, 2022, 10:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason PM
Hi - I tow a TT with a 6000lb dry weight 7600lb gross weight. I am right at the max payload and rear wheel axle rating for my 2018 suburban. It does fine on flat roads but struggles on even the slightest incline. With a 6000lb gross weight trailer, towing won’t be a problem except in steep mountains, but the issue will still be the payload and rear axle weight. I am switching to a 3/4 ton truck for my trailer. If you’re planning on a few trips a year, you’ll be fine. You’ll need a decent weight distribution hitch. I use a ProPride and am very happy with it. The Tekonsha brake controller also works well and if the you get the $20 adapter it plugs right in to the panel in the suburban (in front of your left knee).
BTW, I recently weighed my 2018 Suburban Premier with 2 adults and 2 toddlers in car seats and nothing else in the back of the Suburban (and no trailer attached). Front axle 3240lbs, rear axle 3200lbs. The gross rear axle rating on my Suburban is 4200lbs. So that leaves only 1000lbs for the trailer tongue weight plus anything else in the back of the Suburban. Hence why I say payload and rear axle rating is the issue.