Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Suburban LTZ sunroof suddenly not working

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2019, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Suburban LTZ sunroof suddenly not working

Our 2016 Suburban LTZ sunroof suddenly stopped working last week. You could push sunroof buttons and it wouldn't open or vent. Took it to the dealer, they had it for 3 days finally telling me they had to replace the sunroof motor. They replaced it and we were immediately able to open and vent it. Now 3 days later it has stopped working again. Any advice?
Old July 30th, 2019, 8:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

We bought our 2005 Yukon Denali in 2010. I rolled my eyes when I saw it had a sunroof, which I would never use, and figured all it could provide for me was problems. But Mrs. Cusser loved the sunroof.

After about 3 years the sunroof intermittently would not close, but would always open, and sometimes just opened on its own !!! When it failed to close, there was no hum, no noise, and it Sunroof fuse did not blow. I checked the switch with an ohmmeter/voltmeter, seemed to be fine. Local independent mechanic said complicated, take to dealer. Disconnecting the battery for a while didn't help, was completely random.

Local GM dealer called me at work, told me it was a bad switch, about $230 to replace. I told them I'd pay for a fix, but not a guess, and wanted the "bad" switch returned to me. We picked up the vehicle that day, saw a $50 hazardous waste fee tacked on - even though NOTHING at all was disposed of, plus a laundry list of needed repairs which included upper radiator hose even though I had replaced that same hose a few months before, even had the aftermarket sticker on it, plus non-GM worm-style hose clamps, don't think they ever opened the hood !! Anyway waste fee was quickly removed after I complained, and we took the Yukon home. The next day sunroof again failed to close. After several follow-up trips to dealer, I was told "we have no idea what is wrong", so I finally got my money back, as dealer did not perform the task we had agreed upon. I did NOT have to dispute the charge with the credit card company (but would have), I had posted online asking if anyone had this non-closing issue, and a GM representative contacted me and facilitated the refund, after a few months.

So I removed the sunroof fuse after it closed one day. And that's how it is today. Here's the thread 2005 Yukon Denali Sunroof - I am so pi$$ed !!! - Automotive Forums .com Car Chat
Old July 30th, 2019, 2:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by ahester1971
Our 2016 Suburban LTZ sunroof suddenly stopped working last week. You could push sunroof buttons and it wouldn't open or vent. Took it to the dealer, they had it for 3 days finally telling me they had to replace the sunroof motor. They replaced it and we were immediately able to open and vent it. Now 3 days later it has stopped working again. Any advice?
contact the service manager and tell them the same problem has re-occurred 3 days after the repair. warranty or customer pay. You should not have to pay for a second repair as the first fixed nothing. go over this with the service manager. if you have a service contract or warranty coverage...you are golden
Old January 25th, 2020, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

I had the same problem on my 2016 Suburban. Dealer fixed it once, worked for a few days, then stopped. They checked with GM tech support and discovered a wiring harness under the center console was getting punched when the center console was opened and closed. Works fine, but now I'm having problems with the rubber trim bellows that covers the side mechanism. The rubber trim keeps falling out.
Old January 26th, 2020, 9:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
contact the service manager and tell them the same problem has re-occurred 3 days after the repair. warranty or customer pay. You should not have to pay for a second repair as the first fixed nothing. go over this with the service manager.

You should not have to pay for a FIRST repair as fixed nothing. If they cannot fix, fight for a full refund, and/or dispute charge with the credit card company. The legal term is "unjust enrichment" - you paid for a fix, you didn't pay for a guess.