2017 gas smell in cabin - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 gas smell in cabin

Old October 6th, 2018, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2017 gas smell in cabin

Hello everyone. Currently have a 2017 Suburban with about 1700 miles on. When starting, and once in a while when driving around, I can smell raw gasoline coming through the vents. It just started a week or so ago. I have an apt at the local dealer on Monday, hopefully they can find something. Couldnít find much on the Internet recently about this issue. Saw some 2014 trucks with leaking O-rings around an injector causing an issue like this. Hopefully itís an easy fix and they share what the solution is if they find it.
Old October 6th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Be sure to report back what you find to help others that might have this problem.
Old October 9th, 2018, 4:51 AM
CF Beginner

Started the Burb yesterday morning and the cabin wreaked like gas the whole way in to town (5mi). Drove in to the dealership and parked outside. Left the Burb there after talking to the service rep. Got a call at 5:00p that they didnít find anything. Said they had it up on a hoist and couldnít find any problems and no TSBs (?). Personally I think the issue is up by the engine, under all those plastic covers. The only thing I can think of is heat kind of ďsealsĒ or masks the issue because itís not as noticeable after driving it a while. Iím assuming itís leaking where the heat is evaporating it. So now I have to try and drop it off when the issue arises which seems like itís every cold start. Maybe I should have left it there to have them start it in the morning. Nonetheless Iíll keep trying to hunt this down.

Last edited by SDfromSD; October 9th, 2018 at 4:53 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Not sure if it helps, but the Ford 5.4l had issues with spark plugs coming loose causing a gas smell through the cabin vents after a cold start.
Old October 12th, 2018, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

It went back in on Wednesday. Luckily they could smell the gas in the cabin and under the hood when I got there. Got a call yesterday that they found an open bulletin on a similar issue. Something to do with o-rings on the injection pump and injectors. Hopefully Iíll get few more details. Likely wonít see it till next week so will have a loaner till then. Will report back with more info next week.
Itís hard to be frustrated when itís common sense that these things can happen, even if they are new. Itís under warranty and they put you in a 2018 Silverado. I guess if I was paying for the parts and labor it would obviously be a different feeling. First time Iíve ever had a vehicle in for warranty work so new to this.
Old October 17th, 2018, 6:40 AM
CF Beginner

Got the Suburban back yesterday. Talked to the service gal and they found a defective o-ring on injector #2. They replaced all o-rings for preventive maintenance. With 1740 miles on now, hopefully Iím not back in at this interval..
Will see how it goes this next week and see if itís resolved. Just thought Iíd post back and let you know what they found.
Old October 17th, 2018, 7:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the update
Old October 17th, 2018, 8:44 AM
Administrator

+1. /\ /\ /\

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: