Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2017 Suburban 1500 with 3.08 rear end tow question

Old February 11th, 2019, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Suburban 1500 with 3.08 rear end tow question

Hello all. I have a 2017 Suburban that is not equipped with the HD/Max tow package, so I知 limited to a max of 6000 pounds towing capacity (it has the 3.08 rear end). I anticipate I値l need the trans cooler and will install a trailer brake. I知 interested in hearing if anyone has experience at towing at/near the top limit of this vehicle痴 listed capacity. I知 currently interested in purchasing a travel trailer that weight apps 4600 (dry weight) with a hitch weight of 515 (dry). I値l also be traveling with 6 passengers (4 kids). Thanks in advance to anyone who痴 able to share heir experiences towing with a Tahoe/Suburban w/ the 3.08 rear end.
Old February 13th, 2019, 1:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mmp227628 View Post
Hello all. I have a 2017 Suburban that is not equipped with the HD/Max tow package, so I’m limited to a max of 6000 pounds towing capacity (it has the 3.08 rear end). I anticipate I’ll need the trans cooler and will install a trailer brake. I’m interested in hearing if anyone has experience at towing at/near the top limit of this vehicle’s listed capacity. I’m currently interested in purchasing a travel trailer that weight apps 4600 (dry weight) with a hitch weight of 515 (dry). I’ll also be traveling with 6 passengers (4 kids). Thanks in advance to anyone who’s able to share heir experiences towing with a Tahoe/Suburban w/ the 3.08 rear end.
No experience with an SUV, just heavy rigs, 4X4 pickups and a Jeep, but if you have a 4X2, I'd put a 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio in the rear axle. Might have to reprogram your rig for the new axle ratio however.

Always figure that your total weight will be more then you think it is, even if you dont hit hit snow, mud, ect. Doing both axles on a 4X4 is a bit expensive but if you have the dough, I guess you could do so.

Me? I would trade up to what I needed, or keep your transmission out of overdrive and up into maximum torque range, particularly on any uphills. Make sure you have the best brake shoes or pads you can buy as well. Good idea about the transmission cooler!
Old February 14th, 2019, 2:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMP, first a couple of questions. What experience do you already have towing something of that size ? How often and where, flatland, hills, mountains ? Yes you can add all the needed equipment you mention but don't forget about synthetic lubes everywhere. I would suggest this to find a dealer and hook one up to your truck for a test drive. You might decide to get a different truck that is better equipped for your use as you have 6 family members safety and comfort to be concerned about . Sure someone might say you'll be ok as is but after the sale its all on you. Find a local rv group and visit with them. Hope all this helps. *BW*
Old February 17th, 2019, 4:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mmp227628 View Post
Hello all. I have a 2017 Suburban that is not equipped with the HD/Max tow package, so I知 limited to a max of 6000 pounds towing capacity (it has the 3.08 rear end). I anticipate I値l need the trans cooler and will install a trailer brake. I知 interested in hearing if anyone has experience at towing at/near the top limit of this vehicle痴 listed capacity. I知 currently interested in purchasing a travel trailer that weight apps 4600 (dry weight) with a hitch weight of 515 (dry). I値l also be traveling with 6 passengers (4 kids). Thanks in advance to anyone who痴 able to share heir experiences towing with a Tahoe/Suburban w/ the 3.08 rear end.
Welcome to the forum,
I tow a TT of about 4k lbs with my 2007 Tahoe with the 3.42 gears and the 5.3l. I have added the trans cooler. I haven't had any issues other then some sway due to the shorter wheel base of the Tahoe... Other then the trans cooler, the only other things I have added is the Tekonsha p3 brake controller, and the Husky WDH, the weight distributing hitch is a MUST. In hilly terrain I do stay in 3 , on flat road OD is fine, I have found the transmission stays cooler in 3. We have yet to do any mountainous areas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: