Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2021, 8:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baraboyz
Take it to a mechanic. He will know better what to do!
Surely you jest.

With these sorts of intermittent issues there is very little live data to see. All they saw was a U code for loss of communication with the ECM. As to what was causing that they had no idea. When they discussed this issue with the GM TAS tech helpline (basically if the local mechanics get stumped) replacement of the ECM is what they suggested.

There was no guarantee that it would fix the issue, though. These random electrical problems are not your typical, easily repaired problems.
Old February 24th, 2021, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stacy Morgan
Same with my truck. No power steering and no reverse on start up. 2019 Chevy 1500. Turn off wait 10 min start again everything works. Happened about 6 times in 5 months. Have not gone to dealer,
I'm having the same problems with my 2019 chevy tahoe. Please help. Dealership says it's not throwing a code and can't help.
Old February 24th, 2021, 6:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mandy Smith
I'm having the same problems with my 2019 chevy tahoe. Please help. Dealership says it's not throwing a code and can't help.
I have provided as much information as I can to help you regarding the ground and ECM replacement that my local dealer performed. You can bring this information to your local dealer to try and help, you, or call General Motors corporate for assistance and tell them another instance of this same problem occurred and should already be in their system (if they have a searchable database like that.)
The following users liked this post:
Mandy Smith (February 24th, 2021)
Old March 21st, 2021, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
This topic concerns my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT. I wanted to reach out far and wide and see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

Back on January 13, I experienced this issue the first time. Here is a "copy and paste" of the same description that I have provided to the dealership where the vehicle presently sits as well as on other forums:

Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes. Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black. Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash. So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated. However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care." I did not have any power steering what so ever. I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though automatic lamps was enabled. I could turn the headlights on manually, but the automatic lamps function was not turning them on. Additionally, the heated seats would not work. Worst of all, when I shifted into either drive or reverse, I got no power to the wheels. The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral, and I could not leave my parking space.

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted each and every time.

So, to recap, what did I notice that did not work?

1) After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a second time.
2) Tachometer reads nothing.
3) Oil pressure reads nothing.
4) Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.
5) No power steering with warning message on dash for “reduced steering assist.”
6) Stabili-Trac warning light steadily on.
7) No forward or reverse transmission gears.
8) No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.
9) No heated seats.

For the past few weeks I have also noticed that occasionally I would have to press the start button on the dash a second time in order to get the vehicle to start. This may be unrelated, but is worth mentioning. Additionally, there have been a couple of times where the vehicle’s starter seemed to hesitate while cranking, and/or would cut out briefly and restart again.

Lastly, I was just in last week for my rain sensing wipers, and was told that a new sensor had to be ordered.

I also have video footage of last night’s events that detail quite well what I was experiencing. Please contact me to see.

LINK TO VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31w2FEdZuT4

Unfortunately, as much as I figured since the dealership claimed they didn't find anything out of ordinary the first time it was in on January 13th, I experienced the exact same set of symptoms yesterday on February 21st. However, this time, I restarted the vehicle a couple of times and was able to get all of the electronics back to normal, which was when I was able to drive to the dealership, rather than wait on a tow.

Since there are no codes stored, I am not confident in a suitable long term being performed, once again. Obviously, the TSB # 18-NA-161 that they performed back in mid January did nothing. Which of course it didn't because they claimed to not find anything out of the ordinary back then either.

Has anyone else with a Silverado or Sierra experienced anything like this? Obviously, TSB # 18-NA-161 does contain some of the symptoms I am experiencing but definitely not all of them. I am having many more electrical failures than what is listed in this TSB.

The dealership where it sits again claims that they might be contacting General Motors for assistance, but my confidence in a solid repair is even lower than it was the last time it was given back to me. "Could not duplicate customer concern" as usual.
we just had this occur to us with our Tahoe. Did you get any positive results?
Old March 21st, 2021, 8:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by the newbury
we just had this occur to us with our Tahoe. Did you get any positive results?
Yes, more than a year ago, the ECM was replaced in addition to having the main ground that attaches to the frame near the passenger front wheel was cleaned. I am not really sure which was the main culprit. The dealer told me that there were history codes stored for loss of communication with the ECM, so they were advised by GM TAS to replace the ECM. The technician also found that there was undercoating (wax) in between the frame and ground wire.

I never had this issue occur again throughout the last 12 months. Knocking on wood!
Old June 22nd, 2021, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No power Steering , No transmission , 2015 + chevy tahoe, yukon, cadilac silverados

Hola, buenas tardes a todos. Soy una chica a la que le gusta saber todo sobre autos, lo que puedo contarte del problema que tiene su trabajo, sin importar si tiene 1000 millas o 100,000, es que es eléctrico, luego la resistencia y todo lo que tienes que hacer. . mira con que empezará a fallar cuando haces un giro cuando haces una tabla repetidamente en algunas ocasiones el camión se defenderá y se protegerá solo, entonces es cuando tienen que buscar la manera de reiniciar el equipo y desconectar el Batería el cable negativo durante unos 15 minutos, los primeros 10 minutos tienes que encender las luces para que esto funcione. o pueden llevarlo al concesionario pero no es realmente necesario también hay un programa que puedes descargar en tu computadora, conectarlo al camión y reprogramarlo tú mismo es completamente fácil.
También es importante que revises el Prefuse Cwnter, es algo que está por encima de la batería, revisa que todo esté bien conectado que no esté sucio ni suelto, porque de ahí viene toda nuestra seguridad de nuestro camión a la hora de manipular esos fusibles. son los que nos hacen que el camión no funciona porque el stering poder deja de funcionar, que los que se apagan cuando se está en el camino, etc. Gracias, voy a publicar fotos 😎

Last edited by AthenaSweety; June 22nd, 2021 at 12:25 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 8:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by AthenaSweety
Hola, buenas tardes a todos. Soy una chica a la que le gusta saber todo sobre autos, lo que puedo contarte del problema que tiene su trabajo, sin importar si tiene 1000 millas o 100,000, es que es eléctrico, luego la resistencia y todo lo que tienes que hacer. . mira con que empezará a fallar cuando haces un giro cuando haces una tabla repetidamente en algunas ocasiones el camión se defenderá y se protegerá solo, entonces es cuando tienen que buscar la manera de reiniciar el equipo y desconectar el Batería el cable negativo durante unos 15 minutos, los primeros 10 minutos tienes que encender las luces para que esto funcione. o pueden llevarlo al concesionario pero no es realmente necesario también hay un programa que puedes descargar en tu computadora, conectarlo al camión y reprogramarlo tú mismo es completamente fácil.
También es importante que revises el Prefuse Cwnter, es algo que está por encima de la batería, revisa que todo esté bien conectado que no esté sucio ni suelto, porque de ahí viene toda nuestra seguridad de nuestro camión a la hora de manipular esos fusibles. son los que nos hacen que el camión no funciona porque el stering poder deja de funcionar, que los que se apagan cuando se está en el camino, etc. Gracias, voy a publicar fotos 😎

Thanks for the tip but in my particular case, the battery cables nor this pre-fuse block was to blame for any of the issues. I checked these connections all shortly after the issues showed up in early 2020 for corrosion or looseness and found nothing.

Ultimately it was either the ECU or the ground wire behind the passenger front wheel liner that was the cause. Most likely the ECM all in all as the dealership had notated that they were only finding stored trouble codes for loss of communication with the ECU.
Old September 30th, 2021, 9:46 PM
JJ2
CF Beginner

Default Same electrical issue

Originally Posted by BlaineBug
I would be interested to see how you G141 ground looks. If you take off the passenger wheel you can pull back the carpeted wheel well liner and look. It's basically right in front of the passenger compartment at the very bottom, very easy to access.

Last week I actually took this ground back off and used the wire wheel on my drill to clean up the mating surfaces even better than what the GM technician did, and then once reassembled, I covered the area with black paint for corrosion resistance.

I haven't had a problem since they cleaned this ground and replaced the ECM (knock on wood!) but I felt the need to take a look for myself. I have to say my cleaning of the ground was much more thorough than what the technician did, although that is to be expected.
I Have the same issue with my truck, dealership wants to charge me by the hour to track. I figured out turning off my lane keep assist, my truck does not experience this, so far for 9 mo. But now I want to address the ground issue, I am at 50k miles, I noticed this at about 40k. Thanks for the post, definitely getting stranded for a few hours at a time with kids on a road trip sucks, or at start up on the morning. GMC has to realize there is an issue, and should recall.
Old October 1st, 2021, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by JJ2
I Have the same issue with my truck, dealership wants to charge me by the hour to track. I figured out turning off my lane keep assist, my truck does not experience this, so far for 9 mo. But now I want to address the ground issue, I am at 50k miles, I noticed this at about 40k. Thanks for the post, definitely getting stranded for a few hours at a time with kids on a road trip sucks, or at start up on the morning. GMC has to realize there is an issue, and should recall.
I have posted about this issue in VARIOUS forums and on YouTube too and I have received quite a few complaints from men and women alike with 2019 (especially) and some 2020 model years too that all experienced the same or similar symptoms. However most times they don't reply anymore, I'm guessing they don't have email notifications enabled (as most forums default to OFF for some reason.) So most times it is a waste to try and communicate as they never return to follow up.

But in my case the two "fixes" I mentioned seem to have solved my problem. I am not sure if it was the ECU or the Ground (I'm leaning towards the engine computer, though.)

If you get stranded again keep cycling on/off/on/off as that should correct the problem eventually, that's what I learned as per the suggestion of someone else with the same issue last year. The dealership will likely never receive your vehicle when it is exhibiting this condition anyway and even if they keep it for weeks and start it daily it likely won't exhibit the symptoms while in their care. However they may be able to look at the history codes and find out which module isn't connecting or communicating, and in my case it was the ECU, which is why they replaced it. I don't believe it has anything to do with the lane keep assist.

Last edited by BlaineBug; October 1st, 2021 at 9:30 AM.
Old August 8th, 2022, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue easy fix

My 2019 Yukon Denali had all the same ills.

I disconnected the battery ground, left it off for a couple minutes. Reconnected, all is well.

good luck

Quick Reply: 2019 GMC Yukon Bad Electrical Issues, No Power Steering, No Transmission Engagement