Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2020 Suburban- Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2024 | 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2020 Suburban- Squealing Brakes

I had the front and rear pads & rotors replaced on my 2020 Suburban at 52,400 miles. About 1,000 miles later, I started to hear my brakes squealing when stopping. Took it to the dealer (second visit) and they said that the rear pads were glazing. They cleaned up dirt and debris between the hardware and the pads. They also sanded the pads for the glazing, cleaned the hardware, and lubed the components. The squealing continued so they replaced the front pads during the third dealer visit. This did not stop the squealing. I took it back in for the fourth time and they claimed that they could not hear the squealing. They inspected the pads and rotors and all looked good according to them. No glazing.

The squealing continued so I took it back for the fifth visit. The dealer removed the brake pads and applied "brake quieter". The squealing continued so I took it back for the sixth visit. This was today. They said that they inspected the brakes and they showed no excessive wear or defects. They did apply brake treatment to the rear brakes to try to eliminate the squeal. They said that "the brakes are composed of metallic lining and metal rotor surface. Slight noise can be heard from time to time when brakes get hot." My service advisor told me that this is normal and that I should expect this. I asked to speak to a service manager. The service manager said that GM changed their formulation on their brakes about a year ago and that they are all metal to metal and that brake squealing is their most common complaint but there is nothing that they can do about it because it is normal. I asked him if all GM brake replacements should expect a squeal and he said YES! He said that his Silverado does this all the time!

If this is true, I will never buy another Chevy again in my life. My wife and I told him this. He then said that he would talk to his boss and decide what to do next with my vehicle. He suggested using an aftermarket set of rotors and possibly some ceramic pads.

FYI- the squealing gets worse when the vehicle has been driven for a few miles and things are warmed up.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Yesterday | 7:43 AM
CF Monarch

Try a different dealer and call Chevrolet customer service.
Old Yesterday | 8:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by CCHS82
The service manager said that GM changed their formulation on their brakes about a year ago and that they are all metal to metal and that brake squealing is their most common complaint but there is nothing that they can do about it because it is normal.
1. I don't know; we have a 2014 Yukon, and have had 2011 Yukon, 2005 Yukon, 1994 Suburban and have not had brake squealing.

2. I use Wagner Thermo Quiet brake pads on all my vehicles, and I do the installs.