Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2021, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAME ISSUE! 2021 Suburban RST 6,000 miles. Truck is in the shop 11 days and counting - 'all parts are on back order with no ETA'.

I was driving on the highway when I noticed a tapping - thought I had caught something around the wheel or had an piece of bodywork knocking. Stopped to check twice, but couldn't find anything. Then tapping / knocking started on both sides with a slight loss of power each time and I knew it was an engine issue (although no lights). Stopped in at a local dealer in CT who told me that it was probably a bad tank of gas and they had a notification from head office of the problem!

Next day started the truck and it sounded like a tractor and the dash lite up like a christmas tree.................although it definitely isn't christmas!

Manage to drive to the dealer I brought it from (out of state in NY) as no one else local to me would touch it in CT 'we have nothing available for at least a month' was the general conversation.

I managed to get a loaner from the dealership (although they said they had none) - it's a Bolt, so not ideal for my family of 6 a dog and not a lot of tow capacity!

So glad I found this forum - GM make out like this is all brand new to them - they know exactly what the problem is and should do a mass recall. Counting the days down until I can leverage the lemon laws.
The following users liked this post:
Lynntak (August 9th, 2021)
Old August 9th, 2021, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDrew
Hello again you wonderful people from the internet! we got out truck back on on July 23, they called us and told us to pick up the truck out of the blue 15 minutes before closing the shop so it was very weird for us but we went! they told us that they replaced all the lifters so we were happy of getting our truck back! as we got on the truck we realized we didn't have any more gas left in the tank? we left it full! (lol)

so we drove our truck for approximately for 600 miles and it finally broke down again on the 4th of august ( same issues sputtering engine, kicking and all TC and engine lights on) we left it there and we haven't moved it yet. tomorrow we are calling the GM road assistance thingy and get out truck back to the dealership where they fixed it.

let's see what they will say now, but from what I can see in this forum there's no escape to this curse.

I will let you guys know what happens after!

So after ALL 16 lifters replaced it broke down again? Same with me and we've not been able to get a 'diagnosis' yet from the dealer it was towed to. They've been really busy. Interested in seeing what the problem is with yours and with mine.

Old August 9th, 2021, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yup all 16! we have no idea whats going on! we left it today at the dealership after a long fight with GM road assistance because they didn't want to take our truck to the dealership because it was 45 miles away.

Lynntak (August 10th, 2021)
Old August 10th, 2021, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Tahoe broken pushrod

So my 2021 Tahoe has 10k miles on it and it broke down. The check engine light was flashing and the car was shuddering. Plus blue smoke was shooting at the tailpipe. Chevy roadside took 5 hours to get to me. When I complained, they only offered a $100 credit at the dealer, which I never got.

I had it towed to the dealer and they said it was the fuel injectors and replaced those but same problem. They didn’t have a loaner to give to me and apologized. I was told I needed to call Chevy to get a loaner car. Now they are saying it’s a broken pushrod. They will have to disassemble the driver’s side of the engine to fix it.

2021 Tahoe broken push rod pushrod

They believe there are no metal shavings in the engine. I asked how a brand new car can do this, and his answer was a poor design or a bad part from the factory. Ugh.
Old August 10th, 2021, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Sorry

Originally Posted by BrokenTahoe
So my 2021 Tahoe has 10k miles on it and it broke down. The check engine light was flashing and the car was shuddering. Plus blue smoke was shooting at the tailpipe. Chevy roadside took 5 hours to get to me. When I complained, they only offered a $100 credit at the dealer, which I never got.

I had it towed to the dealer and they said it was the fuel injectors and replaced those but same problem. They didn’t have a loaner to give to me and apologized. I was told I needed to call Chevy to get a loaner car. Now they are saying it’s a broken pushrod. They will have to disassemble the driver’s side of the engine to fix it.
2021 Tahoe broken push rod pushrod
They believe there are no metal shavings in the engine. I asked how a brand new car can do this, and his answer was a poor design or a bad part from the factory. Ugh.
Sorry, welcome to the club. You should open a case with GM and start documenting everything, Read through this thread, there's a lot of good info. While your car is at the dealer I would really try to get ALL lifters on both side of the engine replaced, Although, there are people in this thread that had that done and still had a repeat of the issue afterwards. When talking/communicating with GM try to get them to extend the warranty (100,000 miles). It seems the dealer can make this request.
It is shocking new Chevrolet vehicles are failing with this amount of frequency, not a good look for the company.
Lynntak (August 10th, 2021)
Old August 11th, 2021, 9:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Need some good TV investigative reporter to blow this all sky-high, and get national attention.

The 2011 Yukon XL Denali we recently picked up (at 73K miles) just returned from a 1000 mile trip with no issues. The 2021 models obviously had something changed, causing all thee issues, likely a supplier change of some parts, which had lower quality.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Cusser:
Lynntak (August 11th, 2021), Rednucleus (August 11th, 2021)
Old August 14th, 2021, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I guess I am lucky getting 45k out of my 2017 before I had to replace the fuel injectors and starter.
Hopefully you can get some good aftermarket heavy duty push rods to replace them with.

Last edited by abrahamx; August 14th, 2021 at 4:10 PM.
Old August 18th, 2021, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 months later... my Suburban is STILL in the shop
Old August 19th, 2021, 8:46 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Have there been any consumer stories about this on the national news???? Got a good local investigative TV reporter in your area???? TV stations like consumer stories, this could be a huge one.
Old August 20th, 2021, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@dutchdad I just dropped my 2021 Suburban off at New Smyrna Chevy on Mon with the exact same issue!! I purchased it from them on 4/30. Seriously cannot believe it! I'm dealing with Matt there, and luckily he got me a 21 Tahoe (which is leaking water from the 3rd row middle seatbelt above btw). Has no idea when they're going to get the parts to repair. I'm irate, and want them to just replace the engine!!

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles