Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2021, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txco
This reply mirrors exactly my interactions with GM over the past 4 months. I'm getting calls saying they're working on extending warranty and seeing if they can replace the other bank of lifters. I was on vacation the past two weeks so haven't had any communications, will call them this week just to see what their story is now. LOL, they offered me some reward points too, told them I didn't want reward points, I wanted a truck that would get me for point A to point B without breaking down!

If anyone has any other insightful information I would appreciate hearing about it.
Update #2 - Dealership picked up the tab on the rental. Had my truck for a total of 6 days. Received a call Friday night just before the service dept closed to tell me my truck was ready. Of course I couldn't make it before they closed, so I had to go Saturday monring. They were sure to let me know that the service manager would not be there when I arrived . I'd be scared too!

Ended up replacing cylinders 1, 3, 5 & 7 lifters and push rods, flushed coolant, oil system flush and oil and filter change. Then the work order said they changed some "pipes," not sure what they were. Left the other side alone.

GM still scheduled a call with me for this week to discuss "compensation," whatever that means. Still looking for anyones feedback on what to expect and/or what to ask for.

My wish list - Lift kit - Kicker speaker system for multi-pro tailgate, sub and amp kit for the inferior interior sound system. Ya know...all the GM goodies.
The following users liked this post:
Jayvee666 (September 20th, 2021)
Old September 19th, 2021, 2:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 215 Likes on 189 Posts

My wish list would be a new motor with full warranty, forget the other bling!!
The following users liked this post:
repete (September 28th, 2021)
Old September 19th, 2021, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
My wish list would be a new motor with full warranty, forget the other bling!!

GM was more than clear. They will not replace the engine. So it is what it is. Why beat a dead horse. At this point I’ll take what I can get. They don’t owe me anything. The repairs were covered under warranty.
Old September 20th, 2021, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the truck back after 4 weeks, all 16 lifters replaced. My next issue(s):

1) Damage to rear - someone must have drove into the rear while in the shop. Not major, but enough to create a 5 inch gash on the fender and leave a black tire mark - called the dealer and planned to take back (from the posts here - this seems like a normal event!!)
2) Drove on the highway Sat and noticed some rattling and loss of power again, engine light started flashing, turned around and headed home! AHHHHHHH!
3) "Chevrolet Customer Assistance' advised that a 'Component Coverage Letter' has been approved - "its like an extended warranty for the powertrain" she said - still waiting to receive the details.

Back to the shop today for the next installment of "Chevy makes bad cars and how to alienate your clients'.
Old September 20th, 2021, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 30 days in for the camera system, it's now back for a bad lifter

at 10k miles. Cannot imagine had this happened in the middle of nowhere with my wife driving with the kids. I am leaning towards getting rid of it - any thoughts on the diesel variety for the suburban?
Old September 25th, 2021, 8:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you get power train warranty?
Old September 26th, 2021, 11:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by drmoose00
at 10k miles. Cannot imagine had this happened in the middle of nowhere with my wife driving with the kids. I am leaning towards getting rid of it - any thoughts on the diesel variety for the suburban?
Diesel is not really happy just short tripping. It's more a heavy towing motor and work vehicle motor, and repairs are 4 times more expensive not to mention routine maintenance.
Old October 1st, 2021, 6:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update on extension of warranty request

Silverado truck failed lifter/bent rod at 7200 miles. I've been working with GM Customer Assistance Center since June requesting GM replaces the 8 lifters on the other side of engine and extend warranty. I've been in contact with them off and on since late June. I got a Component Coverage Letter today saying that GM was extending my warranty to 113,,610 miles or until September 23, 2026 whichever comes first. So basically they're starting my Powertrain warranty over at this point. The letter states that the Component Letter is at the request of the dealership where I had the repair made in June.
So I guess one of my requests was partially met. I still want them to replace the other lifter bank and plan to keep pursuing that request. Please leave an update if anyone gets additional relief from GM. Thanks!
Old October 6th, 2021, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Same - I just received a Component Coverage Letter until Sept 2026 or 106K miles covering all powertrain components.

My problem is - car is still running like a tractor and burning oil even after the repairs.

Old October 6th, 2021, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jayvee666
Finally got the truck back after 4 weeks, all 16 lifters replaced. My next issue(s):

1) Damage to rear - someone must have drove into the rear while in the shop. Not major, but enough to create a 5 inch gash on the fender and leave a black tire mark - called the dealer and planned to take back (from the posts here - this seems like a normal event!!)
2) Drove on the highway Sat and noticed some rattling and loss of power again, engine light started flashing, turned around and headed home! AHHHHHHH!
3) "Chevrolet Customer Assistance' advised that a 'Component Coverage Letter' has been approved - "its like an extended warranty for the powertrain" she said - still waiting to receive the details.

Back to the shop today for the next installment of "Chevy makes bad cars and how to alienate your clients'.
"Diagnosis was performed and coolant leaked on the plugs creating a misfire"

Car is now sitting on the driveway, still runs like a tractor at idle, makes an odd rattle when driving, and is now burning oil to add to my frustration.

I have just submitted for a full refund via the NY state lemon laws as the car has been in the shop for over 30 days in the first 24 months or 18K miles (which ever comes first).

Done with this truck and with GM.

Last edited by Jayvee666; October 6th, 2021 at 2:56 PM.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles