Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2022, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Very impressed with the dealer in Alabama. They put me at the top of the list for the parts, due to the nature of our breakdown (kids on the side of the road at night on I-20, stuck out of state for days, etc). Our repair should be done by Friday. So that's 5 days from start to finish, assuming it does get done. They're doing both full banks of lifters, which they offered. They also offered to pay for my plane ticket home. They're also going to submit to GM to get our current month's car payment reimbursed. Finally, they're going to handle the "reunite" process of getting our car shipped home to us. I didn't even ask for the plane ticket and car payment thing - they offered. Very nice service, in my opinion.

If this had to happen, at least it was towed to a dealer with a great service department. We're still going to sell the **** out of that thing when we get it back. Anyone want a '21 Tahoe RST with brand-new lifters????
The following 2 users liked this post by stream41:
Rednucleus (November 29th, 2022), repairman54 (November 30th, 2022)
Old December 11th, 2022, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question

Originally Posted by stream41
Just wanted to give a quick update.

Very impressed with the dealer in Alabama. They put me at the top of the list for the parts, due to the nature of our breakdown (kids on the side of the road at night on I-20, stuck out of state for days, etc). Our repair should be done by Friday. So that's 5 days from start to finish, assuming it does get done. They're doing both full banks of lifters, which they offered. They also offered to pay for my plane ticket home. They're also going to submit to GM to get our current month's car payment reimbursed. Finally, they're going to handle the "reunite" process of getting our car shipped home to us. I didn't even ask for the plane ticket and car payment thing - they offered. Very nice service, in my opinion.

If this had to happen, at least it was towed to a dealer with a great service department. We're still going to sell the **** out of that thing when we get it back. Anyone want a '21 Tahoe RST with brand-new lifters????
Glad to hear you were treated well by the dealership in Alabama. Question, how many miles did you have on your Tahoe? My 2021 Silverado RST had this issue at around 7,000 miles. Just one of the lifter banks was replaced. I have 37,000 miles on the vehicle now and still worry that the issue will happen again. Probably need to get rid of the truck but I really like everything else about the vehicle.
Old December 11th, 2022, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by txco
Glad to hear you were treated well by the dealership in Alabama. Question, how many miles did you have on your Tahoe? My 2021 Silverado RST had this issue at around 7,000 miles. Just one of the lifter banks was replaced. I have 37,000 miles on the vehicle now and still worry that the issue will happen again. Probably need to get rid of the truck but I really like everything else about the vehicle.
Just hit 30,000. I had been feeling little brief dropouts in power for several months now, but hadn't thought anything of it. So it was probably symptomatic for a while before it left us on the side of the road. They did replace all the lifters for us, which was nice. Car would probably go quite a while now without problems, but we just can't trust it anymore. Just got an offer of $61K from a local dealer! But we're right there with you - was a fantastic car....until it wasn't.
Old December 12th, 2022, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the reply

Just hit 30,000. I had been feeling little brief dropouts in power for several months now, but hadn't thought anything of it. So it was probably symptomatic for a while before it left us on the side of the road. They did replace all the lifters for us, which was nice. Car would probably go quite a while now without problems, but we just can't trust it anymore. Just got an offer of $61K from a local dealer! But we're right there with you - was a fantastic car....until it wasn't.
Wow, that's a great quote from the dealership!!!! I think I'll start shopping around soon. One thing that has kept me from doing it sooner is if the truck does malfunction again Chevrolet will install a new engine and that would be acceptable.
Old December 12th, 2022, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by txco
Wow, that's a great quote from the dealership!!!! I think I'll start shopping around soon. One thing that has kept me from doing it sooner is if the truck does malfunction again Chevrolet will install a new engine and that would be acceptable.
Well, won't the new engine just have the same lifter design?
Old December 12th, 2022, 2:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Well, won't the new engine just have the same lifter design?
Issue was not the design as it's been the same since at least '07. The problem was with the supplier of the lifters themselves. There were some bad batches supplied to GM.
The following users liked this post:
vettman (January 6th, 2023)
Old January 6th, 2023, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time lurker with both a 2021 Suburban HC and a 2022 Suburban RST.
I have hoped for a very long time that the lifter issue wouldn't affect me, but alas my 2021 just joined the failed lifter club. Truck was purchased new in April 2021 (w/ 28 miles on it) and now has 18,300 miles.

The suburban started making a clunking noise last night after driving for maybe 40 minutes (so vehicle was warmed up). Sound appeared to be in mid-engine or below dashboard. It happened right around the time the Suburban changed gears, so I thought for a few minutes that it was transmission related. But then a few more clunks happened and the RPMs fluctuated (car stuttered going ~40mph). Oil pressure remained good and I didn't get any alerts, so drove home and let it sit overnight.

Nothing uneventful happened when I started it up this morning to let her warm up (engine sounded normal). However, about 1/4 mile after driving, the clunk returned (louder this time) every 1-2 minutes. I still had no alert or system messages. The clunk was followed by more of a snapping sound when idling at a red light, with the engine shuddering slightly. When I parked and let the car idle there was a distinct, constant clicking noise. Again, no service messages or alerts.

I took it to the dealership and the service manager (which I have a good history with) agreed that it was very likely the lifters without even seeing the vehicle. He said they have a revised lifter part/sku that should take care of it. I would love to know how many design changes for these lifters GM has gone through since early 2021, or if they are still using the same part with a "non faulty spring"? If the latter, it looks like folks are still occasionally having the problem on replaced lifters.

In any case, I'm happy to report the outcome and any trouble I might have along the way.

Last edited by two_burbs; January 6th, 2023 at 9:59 AM.
Old January 6th, 2023, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like problem was the engines produced late 2020 into mid 2021. Both banks were replaced in my engine and I was given a 100000 mile warranty. Good luck
Old January 31st, 2023, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to followup to my Jan 6th post. The issue was indeed failed lifters and a bent rod. Dealership replaced only one bank of lifters since mileage was over 6k or 8k (can't remember the threshold).

Waiting game for the remaining lifters to fail....

Old August 10th, 2023, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Has anyone started getting inquires from law firms that are wanting to represent 2021 Silverado owners? Got a letter from Lemberg Law, LLC yesterday wanting to represent me for compensation from GM.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles