Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2023, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by two_burbs
Want to followup to my Jan 6th post. The issue was indeed failed lifters and a bent rod. Dealership replaced only one bank of lifters since mileage was over 6k or 8k (can't remember the threshold).

Waiting game for the remaining lifters to fail....
That's strange. My RST had 31K on it when this happened to us back in November, and they replaced both banks for us.
Old August 10th, 2023, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txco
Has anyone started getting inquires from law firms that are wanting to represent 2021 Silverado owners? Got a letter from Lemberg Law, LLC yesterday wanting to represent me for compensation from GM.
For those of you who had to come out of pocket for this, I wouldn't blame you for joining a lawsuit. I'd probably abstain though, since GM did us right when we had our lifter issue. They replaced both banks, paid for our plane tickets home (we were on a trip out of state), and sent us a check for one month of our car payment. At this point I wouldn't expect anything extra!
Old September 4th, 2023, 10:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Apparently, there is a class action lawsuit about GM's AFM, going back to 2014 year. However, in essentially all class action lawsuits, the law firm pockets the money and the "affected" class typically gets a coupon for like $500 or $1000 off a brand new GM vehicle.

That said: I bit the bullet and just ordered an electronic AFM delete module for our 2014 Yukon Denali with 83K miles (6.2 engine); this plugs into the OBD2 slot and does not re-program the ECU, just keeps the engine in V8 mode full time. I purchased one through Amazon for easy return should it not do what it claims, a "clone" of Range unit but only 40% of the cost. I'll follow up after it arrives in a few days and we try it out.
Old September 13th, 2023, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a lot of heat when I say to new owners "good luck" with their new motor and transmission combo. New owners absolutely love their new SUV 15+. Not so happy when a lifter lets go. The best thing to do is to delete and program. Rip out the tc and install new billet TC from a CTSV. Takes 2 days to delete it. That is what I did to my 2010 5.3 suburban. IDK about the 8 speeds though - that's too troublesome.
Old September 13th, 2023, 11:05 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Cusser
Apparently, there is a class action lawsuit about GM's AFM, going back to 2014 year. However, in essentially all class action lawsuits, the law firm pockets the money and the "affected" class typically gets a coupon for like $500 or $1000 off a brand new GM vehicle.

That said: I bit the bullet and just ordered an electronic AFM delete module for our 2014 Yukon Denali with 83K miles (6.2 engine); this plugs into the OBD2 slot and does not re-program the ECU, just keeps the engine in V8 mode full time. I purchased one through Amazon for easy return should it not do what it claims, a "clone" of Range unit but only 40% of the cost. I'll follow up after it arrives in a few days and we try it out.
The lower-priced module (not the Ranger brand, which is 2.5 times the cost) arrived. I looked in the Yukon owner's manual and set the Yukon display to show whether the engine was in V8 or V4 mode, and took this beast for a drive (Mrs. Cusser is the driver for 99% of its miles); I was able to go like 40 mph or a level/slight downhill and see it go to V4 mode on the Yukon's display. Then I stopped, turned off the engine, and inserted the AFM delete module into the OBD2 connector, started the engine and drove the SAME route in the same way. The Yukon display stayed in the V8 mode the entire time.

Since then, Mrs. Cusser drove the Yukon towing two horses 100 miles, and did not mention any difference in the driving ability (she has no idea about a display or anything)

In the 10 months we've had this vehicle she has never once looked in the owner's manual, just the way she is....you married guys will understand this !
For amusement on that subject, see
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...nderstand+this
Old September 23rd, 2023, 10:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Cusser
The lower-priced module (not the Ranger brand, which is 2.5 times the cost) arrived. I looked in the Yukon owner's manual and set the Yukon display to show whether the engine was in V8 or V4 mode, and took this beast for a drive (Mrs. Cusser is the driver for 99% of its miles); I was able to go like 40 mph or a level/slight downhill and see it go to V4 mode on the Yukon's display. Then I stopped, turned off the engine, and inserted the AFM delete module into the OBD2 connector, started the engine and drove the SAME route in the same way. The Yukon display stayed in the V8 mode the entire time.

Since then, Mrs. Cusser drove the Yukon towing two horses 100 miles, and did not mention any difference in the driving ability (she has no idea about a display or anything).
Update: Mrs. Cusser hurt her eye after returning, has been unable to drive. Since both Range and the clones detail how sitting a period of time that the AFM delte modules can drain a battery, I set up an experiment.

One full week of sitting: the Yukon started up just fine. 4 days after that, the battery was completely dead, no door unlocking, no lights on dash, etc. It turned out that the battery was fully 4 years old, which is actually good lifetime in the Arizona heat. So I still don't know if the AFM delete really drains the battery as I don't have a clamp-on DC ammeter, and when one tries to measure amps between the disconnected negative cable and the battery negative terminal, that renews the circuit and the horn/theft deterrent starts honking, so amps flow. It's quite doubtful that the Yukon will go unused for a week though, and I found that "Cigar" fuse #53 controls both lighter socket and OBD2 circuit. Anyway, I home-engineered a mount for the broken side of the OBD2 socket and I showed her not to kick that again to re-break that.

I did see some replacement OBD2 sockets with brackets available new, but then I'd need to solder about 8 wires together under the dash (as I wouldn't want to use butt connectors). Hanging loose without a bracket is not a huge deal unless I need to unplug/plug in the AFM delete module or if a shop or myself needs to read an OBD2 code.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 2:50 PM
CF Pro Member

This morning I purchased a fuse tap, and after searching around the fuse box in the engine compartment for an hour to find something not related to engine or AC, I decided to tap into a parking light circuit, as this circuit is energized when the headlights are in the on or automatic setting (which Mrs. Cusser uses) and turns off about one minute after the key is out. I used a 10-amp fuse and ran the wire (with a female spade terminal attached) into the side of fuse position #53, using a brass fuse tap that normally goes under the spade of a fuse.

So I think this will work. Fuse #53 originally had a 20-amp fuse (maybe too large for the fuse tap wire) but that is likely to protect when the power outlet is actually used to heat up a cigarette lighter.
Old March 20th, 2024, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2021 broke 2 times (Both Engine lifters ) in the first 8 months

Yes
Originally Posted by Kyle Level
So the dealership is taking care of me with loner and says they are also extending my drive chain warranty... How much longer? Not sure yet....but that is the least they should do, and that helps! Cause like your situation I am nervous about it happening again... My Service manager is a friend and says they are replacing the whole side of lifters that it happened on says they sometimes get a bad batch every now and then. So by replacing the whole side that it happened on "should do the trick" THEY SAY??? "TRUST" I LOVE my truck as well, my worst nightmare is it happening twice! Im sorry! If it happened to me twice I would prob want/demand a NEW engine or another suburban. But they prob won't do that. But maybe since its twice..... They should've replaced the whole side the first time..... Maybe they were figuring the prob out back then not sure.... The "Lemon Law" offers protection for buyers of new vehicles and requires that automobile manufacturers either repurchase or replace a vehicle which has defects that impairs its use, value, or safety.This usually means the vehicle has not been successfully repaired within a certain number of repair attempts, or the vehicle has spent an "unreasonable" amount of time in a service shop.
Lemon laws are different in each state, so you need to check and be aware of what your rights are. CarLemon.com provides a nice overview of lemon laws by state.
purchase a brand new 2021 suburban it brook in 5 months Needed to be towed to the Chevy dealership service I was told it needed right Engine lift they kept the car for almost 3 weeks to fix the problem then less then 3 months later again my suburban brook once again Had to be towed to the dealership service this time left Engine lifter needed to be replaced
Right after that my suburban was never the same lots of rattling and clicking coming from under the hood
this car Has been in the dealer ship service many times they refusing to fix it they keep saying they don’t hear anything and other times they say they do hear it but somehow they refuse to put that in Writing I was also told by General motors they were going to extend the car warranty but they didn’t they lied now 2024 the car still worse than ever never got fixed and this is not counting the other problems that the car came with that they tried to fix multiple times and still nothing got fix now they told me the car is over 36,000 miles and if I want the car to be fix I needed to pay for and was nothing General Motors can do for me anymore all this time sending me from one place to another for my car to be fix but this was their way to let time pass so they didn’t have to take responsibility and I’m stuck with a car that he drives and it sounds like it a 15 year old car sounds like it
Chevy suburban dealers are the worst to deal with being never tell the truth multiple test drives thy all confirmed they heard it but somehow they refused to put in writing last person I ask why they did not put that in writing he’s answer was SO . General motors and their car dealers they are all in cahoots with each other they don’t care about their customers at all
Old March 20th, 2024, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 5.3l v-8

Originally Posted by repairman54
Range AFM eliminator in my '11 5.3 Tahoe. 121k miles now and no issues. Only full synthetic oils in it. Lost 1-2 mpg highway depending if flat or hilly but worth it to me for dependability. I've got other less fuel using vehicles to use if needed.
Eliminator has been installed in it since I got it at 35k miles.
I purchased my 2008 GMC Envoy Denali in 2017 with 50,000 miles on it and put Mobile 1 in it immediately. Froze up after the oil O ring problem and no oil pressure situation developed and I had asked around immediately upon purchase about deactivating the AFM system - was advised at the time to keep it. Opinions ??

Last edited by Skiesfell; March 20th, 2024 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Mileage is 135,000 lots of trailers pulled as I am a contractor