Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 Tahoe - Need to find a switched fuse to use for a Dashcam

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2021, 2:12 PM
Baz
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2021 Tahoe - Need to find a switched fuse to use for a Dashcam

As the title says I'm looking to find a switched fused in the passenger side fuse box. I metered all of the Micro2 fuses while the car was off and got either 12VDC or 0VDC. I figured the 0VDC were switched so I turned the car on to meter them again, however, they were still 0VDC!

I did some research on older models (because I can't find anything about the new 2021) and read that the switched fused circuits could be on for as long as 30 minutes after the car is turned off, and even turn on when a door is opened. I can't verify or test this because you have to open the door to get the fuse box.

Anyone have any knowledge to help me out here? Even a technical manual would be better than the owner's manual I have.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 3:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

well GM doesn't include extra circuits, so you'll have to make your own. You'll have to tap into one of the RAP wires, splice a fuse and run a wire.

electrical diagrams are in Haynes repair manuals or online Alldata subscriptions. Or the library if you're cheap. Shouldn't be too different from older models.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 4:31 PM
Baz
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info! I should have included that I have this (
Amazon Amazon
).

I don't mind taking one of the other RAP fuses at all, and is almost preferred, but they all still meter at 12VDC when the car is off and the doors have been open and closed to reset the RAP.

For example, the heated steering wheel doesn't work when the car is off, but if I meter the headed steering wheel fuse it shows 12VDC. I'm fearful that the fuse is always on and some sort of logic is within the heated steering wheel to keep it from using a battery or something.

I'll check out the diagrams you mentioned to see what I can find.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

the stereo and dome lights should be on RAP
Old January 26th, 2021, 7:58 PM
Baz
CF Beginner

Lightbulb Solution Found

For those who are looking for this in the future, I used a Micro3 fuse tap in the passenger fuse box on the fuse F26 USB/SEO RAP.

Turns on and off with the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baz:
mountainmanjoe (January 26th, 2021), SurfNC02 (March 28th, 2021)
Old March 28th, 2021, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Originally Posted by Baz
For those who are looking for this in the future, I used a Micro3 fuse tap in the passenger fuse box on the fuse F26 USB/SEO RAP.

Turns on and off with the car.

Thank you for the solution. Saved me a lot of time. I was planning to find a fuse to tap Tuesday for our dash cam.
Old April 7th, 2021, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone know which fuse to use for always live fuse? My dashcam has a always hot fuse for the parking monitor feature..
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Use a power probe or test light.
A lot of components are hot all the time and modules ground the circuits to activate them.
I'd try not to use a fuse powering a electronic module as a lot of aftermarket stuff puts ''noise'' into the system causing weird issues and GM diagnosis has removing aftermarket stuff as a first step in diagnosis. I does happen a lot.
Old March 25th, 2022, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

I'm trying to connect my dual channel thinkware dash cam to the rear fuse box. Has anyone found a good ACC fuse to plug into?? Thanks!!
Old January 21st, 2023, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dome light fuse

Along these same lines…..Does anyone know what fuse handles the approach/courtesy/dome lights on a ‘21 Tahoe? Trying to add some approach lights underneath the truck that turn on when the dome lights come on. Can’t find anything in the fuse box diagrams that help. TIA!!

Quick Reply: 2021 Tahoe - Need to find a switched fuse to use for a Dashcam