Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

21 Suburban How to shift into neutral no engine

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2021, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21 Suburban How to shift into neutral no engine

Well I just experienced the collapsed lifter / bent pushrod with 13.5k miles. Tow truck driver did not know how to put in neutral without starting engine. Electronic Precision Shift. Youtubers say to push start button without stepping on brakes. Ignition comes on. Then push neutral. Message on dash says “CONDITIONS NOT RIGHT TO SHIFT”. Does anyone know how to get into neutral for next time?

On lifters, first dealer was clueless. Second dealer was great. Gm says to replace lifters on one side if first failure more than 8k. Second dealer said that he would replace both sides. GM bean counters rolling the dice willing to let me get stuck again.

Old October 17th, 2021, 8:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Sorry about your 2021, Jim. When word really gets out on this, even without a recall the information could kill GM truck/SUV sales. I wonder what percentage of the 2021 5.3 and 6.2 engines have had - or will have - this issue???? Anybody know???

[QUOTE=Fraserjim;471614]On lifters, first dealer was clueless. /QUOTE]

I question the integrity here - how could dealer NOT know by now????? Is GM just putting their corporate head in the sand????

Old October 17th, 2021, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

Dealer says that he has had 9 so far. Multiply that be all the Chevy and GMC dealers and you can get an idea of the scope. Only real problem with my 2004 Suburban, 187k miles was the fuel pump. But as a “senior” I started to question its reliability on long trips.

GM, like most companies, is trying to squeeze every penny out of their costs so this is the results. I am hoping, that at a minimum, GM will provide an extended warranty on the engine.

i am sure that one reason GM can’t get chips is because they beat up their suppliers and pay them late. So the suppliers move them to last on the list.
Old October 18th, 2021, 9:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraserjim
Only real problem with my 2004 Suburban, 187k miles was the fuel pump. But as a “senior” I started to question its reliability on long trips.
Pretty much why Mrs. Cusser wanted to sell her 2005 Yukon Denali with 235K miles, which broke its plastic radiator side housing and then its plastic heater hose connector within a couple of months in 2017, but still scared her. We picked up a 2011 Yukon Denali with 73K miles, and will investigate to see if it has that GM AFM or operational AF, then will decide whether to override that. I am under the impression that the older models don't have nearly as many issues as the 2021 models with AFM, GM surely changed suppliers, or specifications, or something to have so many failures.....
Old October 18th, 2021, 9:37 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

My 2010 Tahoe had AFM so I suspect anything after 2007 has it. Personally I never had any problems with it but then I sold it with about 30,000 miles on it. I know some people complain about the exhaust sound when it was in the V4 mode but I never noticed that even though I had the SLP resonator delete on mine. YMMV. 😉
Old October 18th, 2021, 6:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Bad batch of lifters from supplier. GM is taking a bath on it but with anything new being sold out they don't care and today's vehicle buyers are clueless and don't do any research when buying and lease people don't care as it's only a temporary affair.
Every V8 has AFM now.
My '11 5.3 Tahoe is at 132k now, bought it at 30k and put the Range AFM eliminator immediately. Only full synth. oils used changed by the OLM. I tow with it also.
I can feel the AFM go in / out and it doesn't take much pressure on the gas pedal for it to drop out not to mention real mpg screen shows the in / out of V8 mode. Had to run it with AFM active for a while to get evap. monitor to reset after a battery change.