Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

3 questions: Navigation issues and real-time Fuel economy

Old September 1st, 2014, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 questions: Navigation issues and real-time Fuel economy

Hi guys, i'm a newbie from canada and just bought a Tahoe 2008 LTZ. i have three questions:

1- There is a way to change the real-time fuel economy when stopped at a red light or idle. it's indicated 99L /100 km (0 miles/galon in the usa i guess) so it corrupt the real data.

2- my gps on the navigation system do not idicate the right position. looks likei'm always around my house.

3-how can i update my maps? where is the disc actualy in the navigation system? i hear it working when i insert the key

THANKS!!
Old September 1st, 2014, 3:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by guillo987
Hi guys, i'm a newbie from canada and just bought a Tahoe 2008 LTZ. i have three questions:

1- There is a way to change the real-time fuel economy when stopped at a red light or idle. it's indicated 99L /100 km (0 miles/galon in the usa i guess) so it corrupt the real data.

2- my gps on the navigation system do not idicate the right position. looks likei'm always around my house.

3-how can i update my maps? where is the disc actualy in the navigation system? i hear it working when i insert the key

THANKS!!
1 - That's not a question, so I'll guess at what you're asking. The fuel economy number shouldn't be affected when you're stopped at a light or idling. Then again, I only really look at the average fuel economy, and only then when I'm on a long drive.

2 - Not sure what's causing that.

3 - To remove the nav disc, press the menu button, then press NAV on the screen. Press the Map Database Information button on the screen, and then press the CHANGE button. That will tilt the display forward and eject the NAV disc.

Be aware - not sure if it's my system or a bad disc, but I bought an updated nav disc and my system didn't like it. My friend's system liked it just fine, so I'm not sure why it didn't work on mine.
Old September 1st, 2014, 3:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

guillo987 Welcome to the forum...
At a stop light or when the vehicle is not moving you are getting zero miles to the gallon... zero because the vehicle is not moving therefore no miles but you still burn gas.....

As for the GPS position, it sounds like the unit is not getting a satellite fix, the antenna I believe, is located in the dash. You might need to verify that it is connected to the unit.
Old September 1st, 2014, 5:08 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The 0 mpg when you're not moving is because you are using fuel w/o moving which reduces your average mpg.

Edit: I see I waited too long to post this. I agree about the antenna being the likely cause of your second problem.

Go into the Nav menu and press data. That'll bring up a pick that'll let you open the Nav DVD drive and change the disk.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
1 - That's not a question, so I'll guess at what you're asking. The fuel economy number shouldn't be affected when you're stopped at a light or idling. Then again, I only really look at the average fuel economy, and only then when I'm on a long drive.

2 - Not sure what's causing that.

3 - To remove the nav disc, press the menu button, then press NAV on the screen. Press the Map Database Information button on the screen, and then press the CHANGE button. That will tilt the display forward and eject the NAV disc.

Be aware - not sure if it's my system or a bad disc, but I bought an updated nav disc and my system didn't like it. My friend's system liked it just fine, so I'm not sure why it didn't work on mine.

1- Yes it was a question. Sorry for my bad english. in canada we use the L/100km. If i reset everything to 0 and i stay on D and idle, the average increase with the 99L/100km. The new model on Toyota or other brand indicate nothing, (like ---- L/100km) on idle to have an accurate average. I wonder if there is way to upgrade the computer or something.

2 - It looks like the GPS not responding anymore. I dont understand because it was working fine for the last month. There is a way to reset the navigation system?
Old September 2nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all your answer.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 8:20 PM
Administrator

If you're sure that the antenna is connected then you might remove the Nav DVD and make sure it's clean. Sometimes they get a film on them.

As far as the reading stopped and at idle, the instantaneous reading will be zero and the average will decrease.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 8:41 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mpg

you are correct, your country is smarter than us in making that switch.

Why We Should Measure by Gallons per Mile, Not Miles per Gallon - Popular Mechanics
Old September 3rd, 2014, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
If you're sure that the antenna is connected then you might remove the Nav DVD and make sure it's clean. Sometimes they get a film on them.

As far as the reading stopped and at idle, the instantaneous reading will be zero and the average will decrease.
I remove the DVD this morning and yes there was a film on... i clean the surface and put the disc back .... great i was at the right place on the gps..

but the point/arrow is not mooving when the truck is mooving.

its like im stop but i'm driving to work...

How can i fix i t?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing it's an antenna connection problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 questions: Navigation issues and real-time Fuel economy