Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

97 5.7 Vortec- injectors and poppet/spider issue

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2017, 5:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, with everything you replaced I'd be willing to bet it's the PCM, if you knew someone who would let you borrow one you could find out. The reason that's my guess is I read a while back that when an injector goes bad after a while it burns out the PCM controls then the injector stays open or partly even when the engines not running. If you want to check take the upper plenium off remove an injector from the intake be careful & get a friend to switch the truck don't crank it just switch it make the fuel pump run, if any of the injectors run or trickel it's probably the PCM or ECM think there the same thing. Let me know what you find out. Sorry I didn't notice that you said the previous owner had tried a PCM but sense you replaced the spider after he tried that I would go ahead and try another PCM again it can't hurt.

Last edited by Mr camshaft; August 16th, 2017 at 5:40 AM.
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1997 GMC Sierra gas leak issue

have a 97 GMC Sierra extcab sb ss. Recently had a cat code for bank 2. Told cats needed to be replacec. Cleared codes and fixed cats. Then the truck started stallin like no fuel. Now it will not start, cranks just no start. While taking iff tb cover noticed gas pooling where fuel lines join fuel regulator. Can this be caused ny clogged injectors or is regulator at fault??
Old October 2nd, 2019, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bronzebogen
Well, installed the new spider fuel meter today and have the SAME problem! Small backfires, black smoke out the tailpipe when you rev it up and the RPMs are on the way down. Rough running. Missing a little bit.

Fuel pump sounds like it's working, but I don't have a fuel meter to check pressure.

Only other things I can think of are the ECM or possibly bad fuel pump!

Anyone have any other ideas? Please?

Thanks!
You most likely have plugged catalytic converters
Old March 7th, 2022, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ur impossible Vortec. Check all grounds. Move sum if need be . Ur welcome

Originally Posted by bronzebogen
well, i'm pretty much ready to give up on this thing. It's got me beat.

Took it out for a drive because it got the power back, but was backfiring. Quit running. After a little while, it started, but now there's a knock in the engine and a squeak from the water pump.

Wonder where one can find a decent used 5.7?
​​​​​​
Old March 9th, 2023, 2:42 AM
CF Beginner

Yes the spyder bracket is supposed to be loose . That helps it fit through the plastic intake when you put it back on.So let it be loose.
Old March 9th, 2023, 3:17 AM
CF Beginner

The time is off . You can move the cap a small amount by just loosening the clamp on it , if that doesn’t work you are off by a tooth or more and you will need to pull the shaft up /out turn it and drop it back in. You must have a GM compatible box to set the time . You can get close enough to do what your is doing then put the machine on it to get it right it’s a must.