Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Tahoe Fuel issue?????......

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2009, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Tahoe Fuel issue?????......

So im new to here but it seems like a good place to start..I have a 97 tahoe and out of no where it stopped running.Me and my friend troubleshooted a lil bit and found out that theres a problem with the fuel.we cant hear the fuel pump kick on but someone was telling me to find the fuel pressure valve and see if theres any pressure before i start tearing apart things.Has anyone ever had this problem before and can anyone tell me where the fuel pressure valve is?i would appreciate!!!!
Old November 7th, 2009, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

this is my first chevy..is it hard to change out the fuel pump?has anyone changed one out before and is there a link or DIY page that someone can help me out?
Old November 9th, 2009, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Welcome! Can't help you on the fuel pressure valve, but the fuel pump is located in the gas tank, so yes it is a chore to replace. Hope this helps some and good luck. Please post what you find.
Old November 9th, 2009, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

well thanks alot.atleast someone wrote back and said something.lol..thanks and i will post up the results when i get to work on my truck.it will probably be this weekend.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

im not sure where u would be able to find a valve to check fuel pressure, but i do know that the fuel pressure regulator if u have TBI is on the fuel injector pod on the back kind of between the 2 injectors, so u could try changing that out because its a pretty cheap part, also if its TBI u might want to try taking off the air filter and having someone start it and make sure that u have a good spray pattern and that the injectors arent clogged or something. Also if u think they are clogged u can buy some sea foam from checker or autozone or something and run that through the system that usually works pretty good
Old November 16th, 2009, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default fuel pressure

if you take the plastic intake off of the throttle body there is a little vavle for you to hook up a fuel pressure tester its right behind the throttle body
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

The pump is on top of the tank so, yes, you'll have to drop the tank to replace it. Or, I saw where someone cut an access hole in the cargo floor instead.
Old November 19th, 2009, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

so everyone...i think i might of fixed the problem but you guys decide...i went to go get my truck towed so i can work on it today..but instead..i got a rubber mallet and tapped on the outside of the gas tank...she started right up!!! i put some sea foam in the tank and put some more gas in it cus there was like only 1/4 tank in there..but now shes running perfect and starting everytime!!! does anyone know if im in the clear or should i still repplace the fuel pump?any suggestions would be nice..thanks alot again for everones advise before
Old November 19th, 2009, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Someone else will probably chime in, but I've always heard that hitting the tank will sometimes jolt the pump back into action as a temporary fix. I even tried it last weekend when my truck (98 Z71) wouldn't start...no dice. I got hit for an $800 repair bill for that fuel pump. Not fun.

To be sure, you could get a shop to test the fuel pressure and then you'll know for sure.
Old November 19th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

well thanks alot man.im gonna get that done today because im supposed to be taking it on a trip tomorrow.do you by chance know what the psi rating is suppose to be?

Quick Reply: 97 Tahoe Fuel issue?????......