Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 hesitating

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 hesitating

I have a hesitation when I really get on it. Drive like grandma and it is like there is no problem. At idle it purrs. The code that was set pointed to #5 ignition. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Still same thing. I am thinking it is a fuel deliver issue. I have a new fuel filter to install tonight. Will also check the fuel pressure. Should it be above 60? On a side note, the dash guage works, but has a real fast flicker, makes the needle look blurry compared to the others. This been like that for more than a year. I wonder if that could mean a new fuel pump?

Anyway let me know what you guys think. TIA
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 99 hesitating

Fuel pressure should read between 55 and 62psi (key on, not running), the system should not bleed off more then 5psi over a 10 minute time span after the fuel pump shuts off (fuel pump will run for 2 seconds when the key is initially turned to ON).

A restricted fuel filter can cause a hesitation as can dirty fuel injectors, throttle body, valves as well as carbon'd up pistons and combustion chambers or even a marginal o2 or MAF sensor or fuel pressure regulator.

There is also an updated software PCM calibration that was released Nov of 2000 that addresses a lean hesitation issue, you can check with your dealer on this; GM Document ID #780734
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Well it turns out that the fuel filter was the problem causing the hesitation. The plugs, wires, cap and rotor definitly needed to be replaced.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Read my post a couple up about the Tahoe that won't start after new battery. It covers the injectors getting fouled...Or, your Throttle Position Sensor has a dead spot.. The dead spot is right where the throttle spends
80% of its time, at 1/4 open, equals 1,800 - 2,200 rpm in drive..It's the equivalant to the "bulge" that happened on the accelerator pump on carburators...The bulge would let excessive gas around the accelerator pump piston
right where "cruising" was...Any other throttle position and the fuel ratio would be fine...Guys would "rebuild" the
hell out of those carbs - with a big fat dead spot..

Good Luck !
Old December 21st, 2007, 1:10 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure that he said that "the fuel filter was the problem causing the hesitation".
Old December 27th, 2007, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

I have this same problem with my '99...hopefully replacingmy fuel filterwill correct this problem. My hesitation occurs right around 40-45mph when my truck shifts from 1st gear to 2nd.
Old November 15th, 2022, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default same Problem

Originally Posted by bamspringtx
I have a hesitation when I really get on it. Drive like grandma and it is like there is no problem. At idle it purrs. The code that was set pointed to #5 ignition. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Still same thing. I am thinking it is a fuel deliver issue. I have a new fuel filter to install tonight. Will also check the fuel pressure. Should it be above 60? On a side note, the dash guage works, but has a real fast flicker, makes the needle look blurry compared to the others. This been like that for more than a year. I wonder if that could mean a new fuel pump?

Anyway let me know what you guys think. TIA
My name is Charles here in Gainesville, Fl and my Silverado 4.3 V-6 has ran great until like mid August with sounds like same problem. Scanner said Misfire on number 5 so I did Cap, Rotor, Etc. Same problem accelerate a quarter inch at a time and it will haul *** but intermittently it slows down to like 60 MPH then it acts like it's not going to make it. Then all the sudden hard to crank up like no fuel. I changed fuel filter, TPS, 2 of the O2 sensors. Other 2 are on the way. Last Code was a P0131 which is O2 Sensor but there are 4 of them Amazon @ $25 each. Auto parts store wanted double and I have a Commercial account. I am at a point now i'm fishing? Fuel Pressure should be @55 PSI and its right behind Throttle body, not hard to get to but there is the Big wire harness that kinda of conceals it. Good luck and let me know what happens please. Charlie
Old November 15th, 2022, 9:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

Do not use cheap Amazon sensors. Best to use Genuine GM parts for any sensor or electronic part. Aftermarket stuff doesn't last or is bad right out of the box.
Try Rock Auto for good prices and selection.
I have had fuel pumps heat up after driving a while and loose pressure. Let them cool off and they would work Ok until they heated up again.
Old January 1st, 2023, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hesitating and misfire when acceleration

Hello I'm Fred,
I also own a '99 Chevy Tahoe for over 23 years and it still looks great inside and out. I have @ 195.000 miles on it and I can drive it anywhere without issues. But her about 4 months ago it started to have issues with misfiring, I've done just like you all have chased parts and replaced parts. It will get up and go as long as long as I don't push it getting on the interstate, but once I'm moving, I can gradually push down on the accelerator the problem goes away. I had a friend to look at it one day and he found one problem. He removed the driver's side valve cover and found one of my valve springs broke. He replaced it and the problem went away. But now it's back again. I will be taking it back and have him just replace them all.
I just wanted to share my experience I'm having.
Old August 7th, 2024, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default sometimes it's just plain simple.

Originally Posted by chashhb12
My name is Charles here in Gainesville, Fl and my Silverado 4.3 V-6 has ran great until like mid August with sounds like same problem. Scanner said Misfire on number 5 so I did Cap, Rotor, Etc. Same problem accelerate a quarter inch at a time and it will haul *** but intermittently it slows down to like 60 MPH then it acts like it's not going to make it. Then all the sudden hard to crank up like no fuel. I changed fuel filter, TPS, 2 of the O2 sensors. Other 2 are on the way. Last Code was a P0131 which is O2 Sensor but there are 4 of them Amazon @ $25 each. Auto parts store wanted double and I have a Commercial account. I am at a point now i'm fishing? Fuel Pressure should be @55 PSI and its right behind Throttle body, not hard to get to but there is the Big wire harness that kinda of conceals it. Good luck and let me know what happens please. Charlie
First thing to check when #5 is mysteriously misfiring
( assuming you're getting good spark and fuel )
Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve
( PCV valve )
if it's stuck open it'll give #5 too much air and causes it to be too lean.( because the vacuum port for it is directly above that cylinder )
it has caused many a headache because it is overlooked by 90% of those trying to diagnose a single cylinder misfire.
( half of the time it won't even throw a code just makes the misfire count go up )

next thing is the intake manifold gasket for the same reasons

lastly is there good compression on that cylinder? is it within 10% of the rest of them?

I may be a bit late for the OP but posting in hopes of this helping the next person...