Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban 5.7 cranks no start

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2013, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, got my spark tester and fuel pressure tester in the mail last night.

Went right out there and did the tests. I found that the fuel pressure shot right up to about 61 psi on KOEO, bled down to about 40 within 10 seconds or so. From what little I know, 50 psi is sufficient to light it off. So, moved on to electrical.

Using the spark tester, I found no spark at the plugs. I pulled the high tension wire going from the coil to the distributor at the top of the dist, and had spark here.

This leads me to believe:

1. Fuel system is ok, no work necessary.
2. Ignition coil and wire are ok, no work necessary.
3. Distributor cap and rotor need replacement, ordered parts.

Any problems with this logic you see?

I found a cap and rotor on fleabay for about 17 bucks. Does that sounds right? I thought that was very cheap, but I went ahead and got it. The no spark explains why starting fluid had no effect. So, I'm hopeful.

After it lights up, I'll start tackling the water in oil issue.

Thanks.
Old February 6th, 2013, 8:11 PM
CF Senior Member

I got my cap and rotor off amazon try to use only OEM(AC/DELCO) these engines seem to hate aftermarket stuff,the fuel pressure should be between 62-66psi KOEO and shouldn't bleed down that quick,for now get spark out at the plugs and see how it goes

How old are the wires and plugs?
Old February 6th, 2013, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Evening Sean, got it on the cap and rotor. Thought it was too good to be true.

Wires and plugs are probably 100k old at least. The owner doesn't appear to do anything in the prev. maint. dept that I've seen. Ground through a brake pad and put the steel backing plate into the rotor if that gives you any indication...
Old February 14th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shamrock246
I got my cap and rotor off amazon try to use only OEM(AC/DELCO) these engines seem to hate aftermarket stuff,the fuel pressure should be between 62-66psi KOEO and shouldn't bleed down that quick,for now get spark out at the plugs and see how it goes

How old are the wires and plugs?
Sorry for the long delay, out of town for work. Got back this afternoon and put on the cap and rotor and it fired right up. Went ahead and got a set of plugs, too and this weekend will tackle the manifold gasket. Things are definitely looking up, just need to get the oil and water separated now.

Thanks for all the assistance.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Installed the new steel backed intake manifold gasket and reassembled. Fired up and it warms to about 200, oil and water in their respective homes for now. Thanks for all the help gents, case closed on this one!