Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Tahoe cranks but won't start..

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2010, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe cranks but won't start..

The truck has had a weak start, began about 2 weeks ago. Friday night it wouldn't start at all after running it for a few hours out to eat and a few other places. Got home and loaded up the fishing gear and it wouldn't start. Cleaned the battery terminals and put them back on and it cranked up fine, no more problems. Sunday I'm riding down the highway and the truck cuts off in mid-motion doing roughly 35-40MPH, I coasted to the side of the road. Wouldn't start. Checked the terminals again, nothing. Got it towed to the house..

Here's what's been checked.

Positive Batt. terminal was busted, It was replaced.
Cap & Rotor were corroded, they were both replaced.
Fuel Pump fuse is OK!
Fuel Pump cuts on with the key.
Engine is receiving gas up front.

The engine turns and sometimes it will start, but it cuts off immediately. Will not run more than 3-5 seconds.

The starter has began making a weird noise, wasn't doing this before tonight. It sounds like the gears are stripped almost. The starter was replaced about 6 months ago. The power wire seems loose, the lug that holds it on just doesn't seem to get real tight, can't tighten it too much because it's encased in plastic. I busted the lug out of the plastic housing when it was replaced and had to take it back for another one the same day.

Any help on the matter is appreciated.

Thanks.