Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ABS and Park Brk. Dash Light on

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2017, 9:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and Park Brk. Dash Light on

I just got this 2002 Burb, 5.3 ,,,4wd. The ABS light and the Parking Brake comes on after driving a while. Goes off when you turn engine off,,, but comes back on after driving a bit. I did the cheap fix, replaced the Brake fluid reservoir and sensor [ heard that the float hanging up in reservoir causes a false low level signal ] but lights still come on. Been looking into repairing the ABS brake module under drivers door,,, a few places offer to repair the unit,, and other places offer an exchange for a rebuilt unit. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, does this light issue warrant an different ABS module,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, after a thorough ground inspection, and connector inspection,,,, ????
Old May 5th, 2017, 9:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe need to start with a good scanner and see what it tells you before spending money on parts
Old May 5th, 2017, 9:42 PM
CF Junior Member

yea,, could do that,,,I have a scanner,,,,,good scanner ?? ,, dunno',,, it was less than 200 bucks, so it may not read the tricky stuff,,,,,,,,,,, my experience with it is it will kick out an error code,,,but sometimes other problems fool the scanner,,,, put it on a Monte Carlo,, said Cam Sensor was in error,,, replaced cam sensor,,, still got error code,, so I am not real friendly with 'my' scanner,,,, [ Innova 3120d ]
Old May 6th, 2017, 8:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the codes give you a starting point for diagnosis. It does not tell you what part to replace. that is what diagnosis is all about. If i had a scanner that could tell me what part to replace...I'd be rich.

the brake fluid sensor will not cause an abs fault but an abs fault can cause the brake service light to come on. you will need a full function scan tool that can access the ebcm.
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

I was thinking my code reader would be pretty generic,, or tell me it could be a list of things,,,,,, according to inter-web searches on ABS and Park dash lights coming on,,,, the two items most talked about were the reservoir float, and the ABS module,, So I did the $20 reservoir fix first,,,,,,,that did not hurt much,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I can get a rebuilt ABS module for $60, with exchange,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if I go to a dealer,,,, the scanner fee may be as much if not more than the rebuilt module, and still nothing is fixed... sure they may do a "Free" scan if I buy a new module from them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but a module from GM, is at the very least , $726 [ 19244883 - OEM GM Control Module | GMPartsCenter.net ] ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so here in lies the decision,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, $60, based on information from the infamous inter-web, with a fair-to-good chance for a fix,, OR,,,,,,, $726,,,,, for a no doubts or questions fix,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe.
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM
CF Junior Member

I put my code reader on,, , no current errors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the History of ABS error code : C0265,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, which is the Module or connections to module are causing error,,,,so maybe put the Burb-Car up on the hoist,,, and buff up the connections,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old May 6th, 2017, 2:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

c0265 internal malfunction in the ebcm...when this dtc sets:
the brake warning light, abs light, traction light and service stability system message will come on (if you have stability control)

read this before you replace the ebcm
https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/70161/2245394
Old May 6th, 2017, 4:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Way Cool Tech2,,,,, Thank You,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old May 8th, 2017, 7:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Got the Burb up on hoist,,,, the ground connection from ABS module looked pretty funky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, took it apart, buffed up the connect points,,, put some po-heek-um on connection and re-tightened it,,,,will see if it stays fixed,,,,
Old May 9th, 2017, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Doh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, !!! I thought maybe buffing up that grd.connection fixed the problem, but after 15 minutes,, lights came back on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then today,, drove for a half hour,,, no lights on,,,, then stopped. Then started back home and after 10 minutes lights came back on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so,, will replace the wire lug on that ground point,, maybe even run a dedicated ground back to battery or firewall ground strap,,,, if that does not work,,,,, I guess it may be the module,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,