Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ac tensioner breaking and rattling

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2009, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compressor,orifice tube,drier replaced along with a factory tensioner and new belt. Problem solved-no more flapping.

New problem is the blower won't blow on high/auto or high at all and stays on when I take the key out of the ignition. Whats up. Need help.

Thanks for any and all.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 3:57 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Not sure if they are still wired this way but the hi blower speed used to be controlled by a relay due to the hi current. Might check that possibility.

Also might want to start a new thread to get more response.
Old September 5th, 2010, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by devilbird1979
I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3L and just a week ago started experiencing loss of cooling and heavy vibration with rattling noise when acceleration reached 2000RPM and then would stop. I notice that it wouldn't do it when I turned off the AC, so I figured it wasn't the Pulley, I had a rough idle when the AC was on and I was sitting still, almost stalled out, it would smooth out when AC was turned off, So I figured it to be the compressor. I found a REMAN compressor with 6MO warranty that came with Drier, O-Tube. and oil for $145. After I took the compressor off I found that the bearing in the tensioner pulley was loose, I think the strain from the compressor is causing the problems with the Pulley breaking on some vehicles and repeat tensioner problems. I purchased a new Tensioner assembly from Autozone for $33 with lifetime replacement warranty, so we'll see how this holds up.
DevilBird, I sent you a PM. Did you ever get this solved as I have the exact same issue/symptoms as you did?
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM
CF Beginner

I just crawled out from underneath my 2002 Suburban. The tensioner on the compressor is hitting the AC pulley. That's the screeching sound you hear at about 1500-2000 rpm. If you replace just the tensioner that will not fix it. The compressor is also apparently bad. Do I'm told and seem to read here.

My belt finally just broke as we were looking at it. I'm taking it all off and I'll get a new compressor and o tube and drier to put on. More reports later.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rvillarreal - question regarding AC compressor for 2001 Tahoe

Just recently had the A/C compressor replaced (new) - after about a week one of the valves busted - making a loud pop (thought it was a tire) then all the Freon just hissed right on out. This happened on the right side first, got that fixed, then the left side bust too. Now the other one has popped as well. Did I just get a bad compressor to begin with ?? The mechanic said we might have gotten a bad compressor. Not sure what I need to do next. Please help !!! It's been over 100 degrees plus here in TX !!

Thanks,
Old August 23rd, 2013, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rvillarreal
Just recently had the A/C compressor replaced (new) - after about a week one of the valves busted - making a loud pop (thought it was a tire) then all the Freon just hissed right on out. This happened on the right side first, got that fixed, then the left side bust too. Now the other one has popped as well. Did I just get a bad compressor to begin with ?? The mechanic said we might have gotten a bad compressor. Not sure what I need to do next. Please help !!! It's been over 100 degrees plus here in TX !!

Thanks,
Not a right and left side. I replaced everything and has worked better than new. Read my post above from 2009. Good luck!