Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Adding factory sunroof, which year headliner and wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding factory sunroof, which year headliner and wiring harness?

Im adding the factory sunroof to my car, I have the sunroof glass, track, and motor. My tahoe is a 2008 but my interior belongs to a 2007. Is there a difference between the wiring and headliner from a 2007 and 2008? I ask because the 2007 headliner is cheaper but looks the same. My complete dash is from a 2007 LTZ. Is there anything I should be worried about? Im not just cutting a hole in my roof Im actually putting in a whole new roof panel that is made for the sunroof (difference in cross members and what not). Thanks for any input on this.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 9:41 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OkAY?

I'm really not trying to be a smart ***... but can I ask.... 'why'?

I've heard horror stories about adding sunroofs to cars... I know you are using factory parts; but I don't personally like the idea of doing that to my Tahoe.. mine came with the sunroof and I couldn't care less... i like the storage overhead on my old one more than the hole in the roof

I mean sure I use it, its actually pretty quiet on the highway, more than the windows, but that seems like a LOT of work...

just asking!

get some before and after photos for us!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 2:08 PM
CF Active Member

Well honestly, Ive just always loved having sunroofs, all my cars have had them before the Tahoe, I was given the sunroof glass and rail for free, and all I really need to pay for is the new headliner, roof panel and wiring harness. A buddy owes me a huge favor so he will do it, his shop is very professional and always does quality work.

Ive also heard the horror stories but almost all of the stories are with aftermarket sunroofs where they just cut a hole and that was that. I'm going the extra length of getting a whole new roof panel. Believe it or not these additions are one of the few that actually add value to the vehicle, when done right of course.

Ill see if I can get pictures of the process for you guys.
Old June 5th, 2009, 9:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm with the squirrel on this one... that seems like a lot of work and potential for leaks galore... don't forget the drain tubes as the Tahoe sunroof's are NOT designed to be water tight, a hard rain will put water in the gutter around the lip , you can feel up there and feel the wet.
Its important to keep that area clean to ensure clear and quick flow to the I believe 4 drain tubes located in each corner.

Good luck with the install i hope it goes really well and hope to you can get some pictures...would love to see the fully convertible Tahoe....
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the quick tip, yes the drains are a must and in fact im trying to see if I can put bigger drain hoses to let more water drain through... Im only trusting one person to do this job for me, Ive seen the work he does so his credentials speak for itself.