Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AFM disable by Range

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2015, 4:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a strange issue today and the Range unit may have something to do with it? I remote started the truck and when I started to leave my parking lot the 1-2 shift was extremely hard. I made several start and stops and came back to work to take a look and see if maybe something broke or was loose? After finding nothing obviously wrong underneath, on a whim I decided to unplug the Range unit, shut off the truck and then restart, when I did the truck ran normal. A few miles from home I put the Range unit back in and no other issues?
Has anyone else had other issues with the Range unit? I've had to remove and reinstall mine on more than one occasion because I was still going into 4 cylinder mode.
This incident was strange to me, I know the Range unit claims to firm up shifts so I don't know if maybe some thing got scrambled or not so if anyone has any other information??
Old April 28th, 2015, 4:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have had no issues other then battery drain if I leave the Range plugged in and do not use my truck for several days...
Old April 28th, 2015, 6:06 PM
CF Active Member

Not had any other issues except like I mentioned in my op. I've read on other sites that some have had certain other things crop and reseating the unit solved some of them. My truck has had work done on the trans and other parts as well, I'm not sure right now that the Range unit is the problem here?
Old April 29th, 2015, 2:57 PM
Administrator

Might want to clean and check the data link connector as well as the Range devices connectors, make sure they are clean, not bent or stretched out...
Old January 12th, 2017, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, I just got range disabler, I have 2011 silverado that I bought new,, I have been buying chevy trucks for the last 40 years,, The 2011 was the first truck that I was dissappointed in.. All previous trucks had been good trucks,, My 2011 had accelerator hesitation, clunk in rear diff. and no acceleration unless I pushed pedal down far enough to make trans downshift 1 or 2 gears,, tried range disabler,, great acceleration, without having trans downshift, no clunk in rear diff, no accel. hesitation, drives like earlier trucks with 5.3L, I will need to check gas mileage, but since performance is more important to me than mileage, I am well pleased, My truck has 33000 miles,, I drive a company truck, so my silverado is low mileage for year model, will check oil use, as more miles are added to truck, Also, I read of battery drain on some vehicles when turned off, that does not happen on my 2011 silverado. My 2 cents worth, thanks
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Administrator

johdpic welcome to the fourm thanks for sharing your update
Old April 24th, 2017, 3:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by magician
Had a strange issue today and the Range unit may have something to do with it? I remote started the truck and when I started to leave my parking lot the 1-2 shift was extremely hard. I made several start and stops and came back to work to take a look and see if maybe something broke or was loose? After finding nothing obviously wrong underneath, on a whim I decided to unplug the Range unit, shut off the truck and then restart, when I did the truck ran normal. A few miles from home I put the Range unit back in and no other issues?
Has anyone else had other issues with the Range unit? I've had to remove and reinstall mine on more than one occasion because I was still going into 4 cylinder mode.
This incident was strange to me, I know the Range unit claims to firm up shifts so I don't know if maybe some thing got scrambled or not so if anyone has any other information??
Sorry to reply to an old post, but I too have experienced this issue twice, the hard 1-2 shift that is, once about a year ago, and today. I emailed Range and will report back if this is a possible issue with the device not being seated properly. I was not aware that the Range device claims to firm up trans shifting....
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Mine has done it a couple of times, but as soon I as unplug and replug the Range device back in, it been fine, I would check your battery status when ti does it, I thing one of the bugs with the Range device is that it can draw down the battery enough to make funky things happen until the voltage comes back up.
It has only happened on a hand full of times with the odd shifting but it clears up quickly, I think I have had my Range device for about 3 yrs now... and the anomaly has happened maybe 3-4 times tops. Its my opinion that the range device runs down the battery a bit and its the low voltage state that freaks out the ECM / TCM.
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Mine has done it a couple of times, but as soon I as unplug and replug the Range device back in, it been fine, I would check your battery status when ti does it, I thing one of the bugs with the Range device is that it can draw down the battery enough to make funky things happen until the voltage comes back up.
It has only happened on a hand full of times with the odd shifting but it clears up quickly, I think I have had my Range device for about 3 yrs now... and the anomaly has happened maybe 3-4 times tops. Its my opinion that the range device runs down the battery a bit and its the low voltage state that freaks out the ECM / TCM.
Thanks in2pro! I feel better that its not only me with the issue, and now it can be pinpointed to the Range device probably. I will check my battery voltage as well.
Old April 27th, 2017, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a i2 programer they cost more but no problems I still have the range too got for 2008 chevy silverrdo

Quick Reply: AFM disable by Range