Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Aftermarket Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Fuel Pumps

New to the forum but have learned alot while surfing the threads. My 2003 Suburban with Flex Fuel 5.3 needs a fuel pump. Local parts carry Delphi and AC Delco for the straight gas version(both listed as OE) but all carry Airtex for the Flex Fuel and it is a fit but not OE. When I found an AC Delco OE for the Flex Fuel the price was nearly 200 more than the Airtex. Any thoughts or experience with the Airtex pumps? I am going to try to tackle this job this weekend and wanted a little information before buying the part. Everyone carries the Airtex brand.

Thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default parts

I use after market stuff all the time for brakes, hubs, axles, etc, so I don't see a problem...
Old December 3rd, 2009, 5:09 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

+1

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by 73shark; December 3rd, 2009 at 5:12 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend spending the extra money for the OE pump unless you are willing to take the risk of doing it again. I have had positive and negative results with Airtex pumps (only used as a last resort). Remember you get what you pay for.
Old December 4th, 2009, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks to everyone for the answers and opinions. I ordered the AC/Delco OE pump and my autoparts store gave me a discount on it. Looks like Saturday will be a "fun" day of installing.
Old December 6th, 2009, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Red face

Weekend is over and I am still not finished with the job. I jacked it up and put the rear end on jack stands. I Unhooked battery, removed fuel filler line and vent line from the tank, siphoned about a gallon of gas out. The pumps you buy at the parts stores are junk. Took my chances with what was left in the tank. Then I removed the strap bolts with a jack supporting the tank. Then I dropped the rear end of the tank. The other end is supported by a jack. I removed one electrical connector, and one fuel line from the pump on the top of the tank. I can only get one hand in to work. I broke the plastic clip on the other fuel line and can't get it to release. The other electrical connector is new to me and I can't get it to release. Trying to find a way to release it without breaking it. Rain started and the temperature is below freezing. I am stopping for the night and will try again tomorrow. Anyone know how to remove the other plg? It is a 4 pin with a red piece in the middle. Also the new pump does not have the plastic retainer pieces on the inlets. Should they?