Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Alarm Upgrade for 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2007, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alarm Upgrade for 2007 Tahoe

You areprobably gonna want a python990 or a viper5900. As far other sensors you can add a glass break sensor, proximity sensor, back up battery, etc. I believ if you go to directedelectronics.com you can see some of the additional accessories to add to the alarm/remote start.
Old July 19th, 2007, 9:56 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Are you wanting to keep your factory keyless and just add more security or are you wanting to use an aftermarket remote? Also do you have factory remote start, or would you like to add it?

Xclusive's idea on the 1mile are great. I have the clifford version of these units and I love it. I amhowever changing to the matrix 12.5 because it has the icon for thetilt sensor, glass break, prox, and shock on the remote. So when asensor trips I will know exactly whichsensor it is compared to just knowing that a sensor was set off. The only draw back isI'm losing the 1mile range.

tell me what you have and what you would like and I'll give you my opinion.
Old July 20th, 2007, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have an LTZ, so I'd like to keep the remote start and power liftgate and glass on my remote. If possible i'd like to keep the factory fobs. I'm sure aftermarket fobs could be programmed, but that of course is beyond my understanding.

Basically i would like to keep the factory and add on to it. Adding a shock sensor and some type of interior sensor would be a definite as well.

The range of the remote is nice, but not important.

Thanks again.
Old July 20th, 2007, 5:59 PM
e
CF Senior Member

well i would just add a viper 350 which has the shock sensor with the kit. This will keep your factory fobs and can accept additional sensors. Because your keeping your factory remotes and starter any qualified installer can install this system without the need of any interface or bypass, however it would make it easier to install with one,also it would require less splicing into factory wiring.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply.

I recently went to a local stereo/alarm shop in town, but the alarm guy was away at a show. I will be calling them back to see what they say.
I did however go into a Car Toys over the weekend and spoke to someone about upgrading the alarm. They suggested an "Automate" AM1 alarm body and a glass breakage sensor. I enquired about the DEI 1701 bus interface and possibly adding a Viper alarm, but they mentioned that this will basically do the same thing.

I know "Automate" is made by DEI, so I'm going to assume it's probably identical to the 350 and the python?? 700 serires?

Car Toys quoted me a price of 340 installed with the alarm, added sensor and what not.......good deal?

Thanks again for everyone's help. hopefully this is helping other as well.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 5:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 2004 I installed a Viper unit into my Avalanche... I had it installed at BestBuy. Before you shake your head in pity... let me explain why:

They can provide and install the same stuff (DEI) that most private shops install. The difference here is that in 3 years, BestBuy will still be around if there's a problem. Where is that private place?? Odds are that it will have closed.....

BestBuy provides a full warranty on anything they install for the life of the installation. In the 3 years I had my AV, there was not a single problem with the Viper at all. In fact, I wish I had the Viper in my 07 Hoe - the remote's range was beyond amazing.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 9:04 PM
e
CF Senior Member

yep on the automate its made by DEI, but technically the automate systems are for new car installs to the dealer. We use these as well but have been made well aware that no aftermarket installs period strickly dealers, so I would check on this.

As fars as the 1701 or any bypass or interface, in your case, is needed. You can access your doors, trunk, and hood triggers thru existing wires or by adding (hood). The system will use the lock/unlock signalof the drivers door to arm and disarm the system. The truck will lock/unlock and remote start via the factory remote. The bypass and interface as stated above will make splicing or installing easier but are not needed. If you were adding aalarm and remote start without keeping the factory remotes than the bypass and interface are a must.

Best Buyhas got the warranty for surebut as with any purchase make sure you feel comfortable with the persondoing the install and ask questions, and if you feel anything does not seem right than do not be afraid to ask. Just becasue itsa national chain does not mean they have the most experienced installers.

Im good friends with the guysat ourlocal BBstore about 3 miles from us and they call us all the time with little issues. Some of the guys do great work and some not so good. There are little more by the book installers and if something changes (like wire colors) or something doesn't work correctly they dontseem to have the experience to fiqure things out. HOWEVER, this can be said about all install shops.............Bottomline is find someone you feel comfortable with and things should be fine.....
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

That news to me on the automate, i'll be sure to call them up next week and ask them. I have some done research ont he automate and it doesn't seem like a bad piece at all, but i'm sure there are better.

I told the isntall shops that I wanted to keep my factory cause of cost and ease. I forgot to ask about the priority unlock though. I'm guessing with the automate that i'll still retain the unlock (once) driver, unlock (twice) all doors?

I checked my local circuit city but they were busy. Best Buy on the other hand I've had mixed feelings with before. I've heard good, decent and bad things about them, but of course I've heard the same with alot of places. They were busy as well, but will ask them after work one day.

I guess I'll wait to talk to the alarm guy at my local shop see what he says. I'll be sure to mention the 1701 this time along with my need to keep factory alarm with fobs and still have unlock priority, factory remote start, power liftgate and glass. I know that can all be done, fairly easily, I guess it's just finding the right place to do it and who knows what's needed.

Again....i appreciate everyone's replies.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 7:56 AM
e
CF Senior Member

Omni, everything will stay the same in your truck but you will have the added protection of the sercurity you were looking for.

edit: I just double checked myself on the automate stuff, and the automate warranty is designed to benefit the dealership but I was incorrect in the fact that it can be sold to the general public but it cannot be advertised in print or picture. It will have the lifetime warranty but not the product guaranty. The two models that will suit your needs by DEI will be the Viper 350 and Automate AM1. Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for keeping me up-to-date.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM
CF Active Member

Hi E. I shot you an email, hopefully you can help me out. Just give me a call at your earliest convenience if you could, 219-241-1099, or anyone else who is a professional and can assist me with what I need... Please advise.

Quick Reply: Alarm Upgrade for 2007 Tahoe