Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Any information on removing the heads

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any information on removing the heads

First let me say hello to all. I am new on the the site for the second time (formally part of the Grand prix section). SO any way I am changing the gaskets and seals in the top half of the 5.7 liter engine I am down to the heads and they just don't seem to want to let go. I have all the bolts inside out as well as the ones beside the spark plug ports. am I missing something?

I have the intake off as well as the exhaust manifolds off. I am cautious to hitting them too hard due to them being alum. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure all bolts are off before attempting this. They will be on there good they were on there really good on my truck. Do not hit them with a hammer unless your have a dead blow. Take a block of wood and hit the wood with the hammer against the head working your way around. They will take some patience.
Old July 28th, 2009, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Yes as far as I know I have them all off. First row just below the keeers, second row in between the keepers, and the third row that sit beside each spark plug ports eight per side on that row. I'll try to use the wood again maybe give it a little more muscle.
Old July 28th, 2009, 6:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you have them all remember they have been torqued down and heated up for years. They will not slide off! Wack it around with a board and a hammer. To lift them I always put a bolt in the end where the accesory brackets bolt to. Good luck and be careful.