Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Anyone ever done a power steering pump job?

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever done a power steering pump job?

Whattup guys,

I think the steering on my Suburban is finally shot. After 298,000 miles, it's making the loud whining noises, is nearly impossible to turn, and has a fluid leak. I purchased a great-condition used 97/98/99 Tahoe power steering pump, but got quoted at $300 bucks for labor from my local Chevy guys. They also gave me an honest opinion, saying that if I was decently truck-savvy I could probably do it on my own. Has anyone ever swapped a PS pump before? I looked under the hood and it doesn't look terribly difficult to get to, but I definitely don't want to ruin my truck. If anyone can provide any advice/expertise/special directions I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone knows of a thread on here that talks about it, the link would be great (I couldn't find it).

If it's not on here and I do it successfully, I'll post the process w/ pics!
Old October 20th, 2011, 1:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by greatwhite99
Whattup guys,

I think the steering on my Suburban is finally shot. After 298,000 miles, it's making the loud whining noises, is nearly impossible to turn, and has a fluid leak. I purchased a great-condition used 97/98/99 Tahoe power steering pump, but got quoted at $300 bucks for labor from my local Chevy guys. They also gave me an honest opinion, saying that if I was decently truck-savvy I could probably do it on my own. Has anyone ever swapped a PS pump before? I looked under the hood and it doesn't look terribly difficult to get to, but I definitely don't want to ruin my truck. If anyone can provide any advice/expertise/special directions I'd really appreciate it. Or if anyone knows of a thread on here that talks about it, the link would be great (I couldn't find it).

If it's not on here and I do it successfully, I'll post the process w/ pics!
They pretty straight forward. You might check you tube someone might have one on there.
Old October 20th, 2011, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

This a Dodge, but it ain't rocket science Auto Repair: How to Replace a Power Steering Pump - YouTube
Old October 21st, 2011, 8:44 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

they are easy, and fairly hard to screw up. there should be high and low pressure lines that are usually of different materials, so I don't even think they can be mixed up... but just in case, take a photo of the old one before you start, and use a marker or chalk to mark how they go like a 1 and 2, then photograph it.