Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Auxiliary tranni cooler question

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2013, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary tranni cooler question

Hey guys, I wanna install a tranni cooler on my 2008 burb. What kind of cooler would u suggest?
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Default cooler

drawtite makes a good one ,but are you shure you dont have one already ? follow the lines and double check . you dont want to keep it to cool .
Old January 30th, 2013, 4:55 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Factory cooler would be a good choice. If you have one, it would be in front of the bottom of the radiator.
Old January 31st, 2013, 8:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey, I have a in- radiator cooler, but when towing I went up to 211 on heat, and it's not even summer, it was 60 outside temp. Also, do u hook it up as a pre cooler before it enters the radiator or after it goes threw the radiator? Do I use the upper line or the lower line from the radiator?
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deryll1,

Actually, it's been done both ways (in radiator & external). All lubrication is designed to operate best within a range of temperature, so, as old dog said, not too cool, but not too hot as well.

So, IF your vehicle was intended to be operated in like Desert/Hot climates, then it would be a good idea if the Cooler (little Radiator) was external. And if operated in colder climates, then it would be good if the Oil had a boost in temperature, shared the heat of the engine (via the Radiator Coolant).

Actually, it probably would be best for the Transmission, if it's Lubrication was controlled by a Thermostat, but the temperature range of Transmission Fluid has a sufficient operating range, where that would be an additional cost, and whose effectiveness would be questionable.

Other than the Manufacturer of the Vehicle's intent to ship the Vehicle to be sold/operated at a given Latitude, it would be hard to say just why one Manufacturer did it one way, and another, the other way.

So in your case, why not both...
Leave it running through the Radiator to accelerate warming it up, then, put a External Cooler on it, to make sure it didn't overheat. However, 211 deg isn't anything to worry about with Transmission Fluid. I'd be more worried about why your cooling system, didn't keep the Engine Coolant nearer to 195.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 31st, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I did mine on my 2007, here is the thread... I recommend the factory one as it will come with everything you need and everything will fit properly.. no cutting, no clamping...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...install-35484/
Old January 31st, 2013, 1:43 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I suspect it's connected before the cooler in the radiator to ensure that the fluid doesn't get too cold in the winter.

I remember on my '89 Dodge Caravan, they had to add a thermostat to the external cooler as the fluid would "slush" in really cold places like Minnesota.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I can see in a XXHot climate, where one may just separate the Transmission Oil completely away from the Radiator, using one or more Coolers. Therefore removing any heating contribution from the Cooling System.

Or, in just a relatively hot climate, where it may freeze occasionally, that one might put the Cooler before the Radiator. Therefore removing the major part of the heat, and, still having the ability to get it warm quickly.

Then, since most Transmission Fluid can operate quite well at 195 deg and more, I can't see why one would put a Cooler after the Radiator. Why heat it up, just to cool it down.

However, given the efficiency of most all Cooling Systems on vehicles now a days, IF one had a overheat problem while Towing, I'd seriously be looking at deficiencies in the Cooling System as I stated previously, before I considered an add-on Cooler.

PS: And in places like Minnesota, I definitely would support an "in radiator" capsule, to keep the Transmission Fluid's temperature up.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 31st, 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old February 1st, 2013, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

I live in Sacramento Cali, so we get freezing temps like maybe once in a while. But maybe I should flush my radiator first. But I drove it last year in the summer without towing it went to 198. So I guess I will consider hooking it up before it enters the radiator....
Old February 1st, 2013, 9:15 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

If you use the factory one it ties into the radiator, I believe its, radiator then to aux cooler then back to trans...

Quick Reply: Auxiliary tranni cooler question