Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Back Up Camera Problems

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 9:20 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,

You may want to try and update the firmware on the Lockpick. Coastal E tech has the process on their website. Unfortunately, it needs to be connected to the vehicle to do it, as it needs power. The battery disconnect may confused the unit. It is worth a try.

USB UPDATES
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the lockpick is so old that it doesn't even have a USB, must have been one of their first units for the new line of GM SUV's
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
CF Senior Member

OK. As you will see in the pictures the unit is very basic, just the main connector and the 5 dip switches. Now in the back ground you can also see that everything is disconnected. I have had the radio, override, and battery un hooked for several hours now.

The LockPick has 5 switches, when i pulled it ALL 5 were DOWN, as in ON. so from what i can gather from their website, that means that all the over rides are disabled

So if that is true I have no idea how on earth the thing worked,
Thanks for any info,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Back Up Camera Problems-img_0914.jpg   Back Up Camera Problems-img_0915.jpg   Back Up Camera Problems-img_0916.jpg   Back Up Camera Problems-img_0918.jpg  

Last edited by Joe In NY; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd contact Coastal Etech for help.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
CF Active Member

Joe,

It is too bad that it doesn't have the usb. Mine does have the usb and I was hoping that it may help if you tried to update the firmware. If you can find a model number of it, you may be able to check the dip switch settings. Based upon the new unit, everything should be off. I guess you should be able to try it that way and see if it works. If all else fails, send an email to support@coastaletech.com and ask them for some guidance.

Good luck. It is nice to have the unit when you are travelling with your family on a long trip. Hopefully you can get it resolved before your trip to Florida. We use ours to allow my wife to control the movies for the kids, while we are underway. Also, it helps with the nav.

If you have to get a new one, you may want to look at the GMX550. It provides for more features than your current unit or the GM2. Unfortunately, they don't have a GMX550 that works with the 2012 / 2013 models, but does work with the 2007.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
CF Senior Member

never mind its the stupid factory head unit. Right now i have the LockPick completely removed and its still doing it, but if i hit any button on the unit it gets out of the camera mode...

Idk what to do, I am NOT dropping $1500 on a new head unit.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery again to reset it? If that doesn't work, you might have corrupted the software.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 2:09 PM
CF Senior Member

yeah, i have been messing with up until 10 min ago, its all together, no auto camera, but all over rides in place.

i have no idea how the software could have gotten corrupt... With the over ride i have no auto back cam, but with out over ride i have auto back cam that stays on 10 sec too long...

errrrrr general maintenance alright
Old March 23rd, 2013, 2:10 PM
CF Active Member

If everything else on the headunit is working,ie Radio DVD, NAV etc; except for the backup camera and the lockpick will provide you with the option to turn it on, you may be best to reinstall the lockpick and use it to turn the camera on manually.

As you said, a new headunit is expensive. You can find used units on ebay, craiglist etc or go aftermarket.

As Shark said, disconnecting the battery may have corrupted the software. It shouldn't but it may have caused the problem.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 3:07 PM
CF Senior Member

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it again several times today, I left everything including the battery un hooked for several hours today to no avail. I have no idea how this could have upset the software.

Well, maybe when we are in FL we could take it to a dealer and have them take a quick look... they should only charge one arm for this right? and then an arm and leg to fix it?

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera Problems