Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Caliper painting

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2010, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Caliper painting

I Just upgraded to Grey alloy 26's on a white tahoe i was thinkin about gettin my calipers painted red... good idea?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...5/IMG_0319.jpg
Old October 6th, 2010, 7:49 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum..
Painting the calipers can really add to the looks and detail of the wheel...
however you might want to consider cleaning the wheel well liners and armorall-ing them as well as the ones in the picture look pretty nasty and distract from the nice clean rim and wheel....
Attached Thumbnails Caliper painting-painted.jpg  
Old October 7th, 2010, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

nice.thx...i did a quick clean job but i usually do clean up the wheel liners and the inside of the rims near breaks real good...it brings it out soo much more...did you paint them yourself? local shop? i saw some caliper paint at the auto store but i dnt wanna really chance it myself..
Old October 7th, 2010, 7:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

painted them myself on my Cadillac. You can get hi temp enamel with gloss from AZ or PepBoys, etc. I went to Walmart, 2 cans of bright red and 1 can of clearcoat. PAinted the calipers and drums, right on the car.
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes painted them myself, the trick is that you only have to paint the portion that you see there is no need to paint the entire caliper (unless you really want to)
Do it in the early evening when you know you won't be driving anywhere for at least 4-5 hours preferably over night, and you have enough day light.

You can put the wheels back on even while they are still "wet" just be-careful not to bump them then park the truck in the garage over night if possible.

I used off the shelf Rust-Oleum enamel paint from Home Depot.

I have had no problems with peeling though I have a few chips from road debris but that will happen with any paint, and can be touched up every few months anyway.

The most important part (as in any paint job) is prep, prep, prep...
Clean the calipers throughly, hand wash them, use a good degreaser (simple green) you can even follow up with alcohol, a light scuffing with steel wool will also help.

80% is the prep 20% is the quality of paint ( enamel hi-temp preferred but not necessary IMHO) Mine are at least 2yrs painted now and the only issue I have noticed is they seem a wee bit faded and not as rich in color but that could also be due to age and heat.... they still stand out and I still get comments on there coolness factor

Plus I can tell my Tahoe apart from any other from a distance (of course so can my buddies and then they know where I am hiding out)
Old October 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

DupliColor makes good caliper paint in either brush-on or spray.

Might consider bigger brakes w/ those massive wheels.
Old October 8th, 2010, 3:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the feedback guys! im gonna take all of your guys comments into considerations... a few questions..
will it be cool if i take the wheels off & Reinstall myself? they're 26 inches...
will i have to get them rebalanced!?
will it be easier to tape off the brakes and just spray calipers?.. or take off the calipers and spray them...?
about how much will the cans of spray be?
shop labor? (if i decide to take it)

sounds easy tho...I'll def. check in before i do it.... within the next few wks...

if you have pics your welcome to post pics.. i would love to see...
Old October 10th, 2010, 6:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 cans for the front and rear.
you can take the caliper off but you ll have to bleed the brakes before you drive the car.
you dont need to rebalance the tires if you take them off the car.

I sprayed the calipers right on the car, pads included. Bright red calipers in front and bright red drums in the rear. Spin the drum while you paint it to get the paint to hit all spots. Rear calipers? Same as the front.
Old October 10th, 2010, 9:00 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Unless you had them balanced on the truck, you shouldn't have to rebalance if you simply remove and replace. Even if they were balanced on the truck, just mark the hub/wheel position and reinstall the same way.