Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Driver Mirror Replacement for Fluttering Glass - Painting Required????

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2007, 2:50 PM
bub
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Mirror Replacement for Fluttering Glass - Painting Required????

Took my 2007Tahoe LTZ 4x4 to the dealership yesterday and asked that they look into the TSB for this. TSB #06-08-64-027 as described in the Tahoe forum TSB list post.

They ordered me a whole new mirror. It showed up today, but they advised me that they have to "mask off and paint" the top portion to match for my LTZ. Can't they just save the factory housing from, or evenjust the painted insert from,the old one and replace the "guts"? I do not want to have to "paint" anything to accomplish this fix. That's a recipe for disaster.

I put the workon hold until I figure this out.

Does anyone have a service manual with the excerpt showing how this driver's mirror comes apart that they could post here as a PDF to help "me help to help them" figure this out?

How about a copy of the TSB itself?

Thanks in advance,
-CKB
Old March 6th, 2007, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Driver Mirror Replacement for Fluttering Glass - Painting Required????

Last check with Helm who publishes Chevy service manuals said it's still not available.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=
Old March 6th, 2007, 4:16 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Driver Mirror Replacement for Fluttering Glass - Painting Required????

Have the dealer install the new mirror but use your old cap.
The painted mirror caps snap off, you must be gentle to avoid breaking the plastic retaining tabs.
Most dealers have an upgrade shop or person that is adept at installing the chrome mirror caps; it may be worth it for you to have them make the change.
Old March 6th, 2007, 7:14 PM
bub
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the tips ZX.

I found the P/N's for GM accessory painted caps on eBay in 63U Sport Red Metallic.

Worst case if they break one, they buy the pre-painted GM accessory replacements P/N 19156272.

Can I try taking off the caps myself? Is is done from the outside, or do you have to get the mirror face off and access the tabs from the inside? Is it a matter of squeezing in the tops and sides of the cap from the outside?

Someone interested in changing out for chrome mirror top caps (late MY LTZ style) may be interested in this procedure as well.

Suggestions, other than let the dealer break it?

-CKB
Old March 6th, 2007, 7:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bub

Took my 2007Tahoe LTZ 4x4 to the dealership yesterday and asked that they look into the TSB for this. TSB #06-08-64-027 as described in the Tahoe forum TSB list post.

They ordered me a whole new mirror. It showed up today, but they advised me that they have to paint the top portion to match for my LTZ. Can't they just save the factory housing from, or evenjust the painted insert from,the old one and replace the "guts"? I do not want to have to "paint" anything to accomplish this fix. That's a recipe for disaster.

I put the workon hold until I figure this out.

Does anyone have a service manual with the excerpt showing how this driver's mirror comes apart that they could post here as a PDF to help "me help to help them" figure this out?

How about a copy of the TSB itself?

Thanks in advance,
-CKB
It kills me how little the dealers know. It takes 15 seconds to swap mirror caps. See the pics below of my DL3's - note the location of the tabs on the cap. Use a very thin flat blade screwdriver and push in the tab while applying pressure to the cap - start with the outside end, take your time and "finess" it off - don't just pull or you will break the tabs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/D9B0DF240F7642DBB585198DFE9D89C8.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 6th, 2007, 7:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/2803338164BB4EFC95452DB8894296FB.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 6th, 2007, 8:53 PM
bub
CF Junior Member

Excellent!

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Old March 6th, 2007, 9:00 PM
bub
CF Junior Member

There are a total of 3 "male tabs" on the bottom and 4 female "slots" at the top, right?

I blew it up, but black makes it a bit hard to see...

Thanks for posting the pics![8D]
Old March 6th, 2007, 9:01 PM
CF Junior Member

my driver's side mirror on my Avalanche does the same thing. I need to take it in.
Old March 7th, 2007, 1:19 AM
bub
CF Junior Member

Success.

Did this myself tonight...no painting required...

OMG! It does come apart!!!

Inside the cap showing the clips - no breakage !!!

While I was on a roll I took the whole damn thing off...

Door panel has to be removed to disassemble two mirror connectors from the LH DCM...

The guts of the mirror itself...

Door panel inside - Note the foam liner for noise/moisture protection. It is clipped to the door panel with press clips and bonded around the sides and bottom edges with really tacky black adhesive....multiple clips and guides around perimeter + 3 bolts = one behind door lever (removable trim panel closeout) and two behind door pull (removable trim panel closeout)...no breakage!!!

Now it's off to the dealership tomorrow morning for the new mirror install using my old cap!!!! + door panelre-assembly.

Quick Reply: Driver Mirror Replacement for Fluttering Glass - Painting Required????