Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you disable rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2010, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To last reply --- Do you drive where theres sleet and light snow - or where theres road spray when snow starts melting on roads (when temp is about 32'F). Mine aren't sensitive enough to kick on when truly needed. I would love to love these rain sensers if worked as needed. Maybe mine has issues. I'll see if dealer can replace or set some sensitivity adjustment (if not there should be?).
Old February 9th, 2010, 7:49 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yes

I live in PA, so today is 6-12" of snow... the wiper sensor doesn't do snow as well as it does rain, I guess thats why its a 'rain' sensor? I don't know... it doesn't bother me much, other than snow it does very well...
Old February 9th, 2010, 2:59 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

The original RainSense that I had on my 2002 TrailBlazer worked a whole lot better. I was sitting at a stop lite and the car in front sprayed their W/S and there was a small amount of mist that came back and hit my W/S and triggered the wipers. The '07 wasn't anywhere near that good. Not surprised that they deleted it. Wish they had just gone back to the original tho.

Last edited by 73shark; February 11th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default rain/snow sensor

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I live in PA, so today is 6-12" of snow... the wiper sensor doesn't do snow as well as it does rain, I guess thats why its a 'rain' sensor? I don't know... it doesn't bother me much, other than snow it does very well...
What you say proves my point - or possibly what GM design team missed. If it don't work consistently with snow falls or light freezing rain or constant road spray - then one has no choice but to put wipers at low speed (which will dry wipe the windshield) or do it manually when needed (which I was doing constantly during particular rains or snow falls). By going back to the normal delayed wipers at least one has better control of the situation. Its to bad GM just didn't include an on/off mode for the rain sensor so the driver could choose dependent on the weather situation. Or at least included a sensitivity control.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

The sensitivity control is the variable speed portion on the control ****.
Old February 12th, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Beginner

You're right -- but even at its highest setting mine are not sensitive enough (or at least on most light-rain or sleet/snow situations). I meant to say a "major hidden control" so one can set overall sensitivity. Before I confuse myself anymore let me just say I'm happy to have back the old stand-by delayed wipers (sensor disconnected)

Last edited by kgutzke; February 12th, 2010 at 2:38 AM.
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default What to unplug?

Originally Posted by kgutzke
Good News! I unplugged mine today (2008 Tahoe) and I've got the old standby delayed wipers back - thank God. Now all I need to do is convince my Chevy dealer service man it can be done (odd thing he told me it couldn't be done).
Are you saying to unplug the entire wire harness that plugs to the review mirror to disable the rain sensing wipers?