Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you disable rain sensing wipers?

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you disable rain sensing wipers?

My rain sensing wipers are hyperactive, the smallest amount of moisture and they overide the delay settings and go to full speed. Can the sensor be deactivated?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 5:12 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure if unplugging the sensor would do it. Why not get the dealer service check it out as there is something wrong w/ it.
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Now the delay doesn't work at all when there is no rain or any moisture. You get 1 sweep and that's it. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

My '07 did they same thing. I just disconnected the unit behind the rearview mirror and now it works like normal intermitten wipers. I have no warranty, but if you do, have the dealer look at it.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Unplugging sensor on 09 works! It's now back to normal delay via the stalk settings.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

with how pita these modern trucks can be i'm suprised that doesn't throw an error code!

I'm glad it worked for you.

I'm happy w/the rain sensor, it doesn't do snow as well as rain, but its acceptable...
Old February 7th, 2010, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

This is definitely one technical wonder we can live without. During snow fall (or with wet road spray) - the damn things don't wipe at all or if they do its inconsistent. I end up having to manually wipe half the time. During light rain - I'm doing same thing. Maybe I have an issue with my sensor - but really just give me back control with the old standard delayed wiper! I hope disconnecting mine (2008 Tahoe) works ?? The service man at Chevy dealer made me think its not possible.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
CF Junior Member

I've owned several cars, some of them high end (BMW, Audi), that had rain sensing wipers. I really hate these, I have yet to see a system that works with some common sense. They either don't turn on at all or they freak out and go fast.
I'm going to look into unplugging the sensor. Some things are better left up to the drivers input.
I was happy to see that our new Outback didn't have this system.
Old February 8th, 2010, 3:09 AM
CF Beginner

Good News! I unplugged mine today (2008 Tahoe) and I've got the old standby delayed wipers back - thank God. Now all I need to do is convince my Chevy dealer service man it can be done (odd thing he told me it couldn't be done).
Old February 8th, 2010, 7:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rain

i guess mine work well then vs all these?

When going fast on the highway they go faster, then slow down for off ramp / traffic and they slow... I like it... or when an 18 wheeler kicks up a splash, they wipe, then go off again... I like 'em...

Quick Reply: Can you disable rain sensing wipers?