Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2007, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

Ok, here's another thought - But let's backup first. I believe that you first noticed this problem after you did the Voice command connect, correct? What else did you do at that time - did you add a Lockpik? before or after the VCI connect? If you did have a lockpik previously installed did you connect the JP provided wires direct to the lockpik connector that was plugged into C1 in the NAV, or into the lockpik pigtail connector that goes to C1. If so, on my 1st generation lockpik the wireswere not twisted, so if all you did was pull the wires at the original C1 then the lockpik wires could be acting as the "antenna"?

Also, are sure that the whine is coming from the speakers? Does it do it with the radio powered off?

You are gonna hate this, but you might have to backtrack to the point of disconnecting the lockpik and VCI and seeing if the whine is still there. If not, then you know that one of those two mods was causing it.

You've got my cell - fell free to call me if you want to brainstorm in greater detail, I'm just sitting in the house today watching the freezing rain accumulate and waiting for my power to go out!
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad news, I never had nor did I do the lockpick!

The whine is from something with the new nav unit. I did it all in one day! The unit itself, the vss wire, the onstar voice commands, etc. I was installed in one setting, the sound has been there ever since!

I honestly cant remember if the whine is there with the radio off. I do believe it is, and yes it seems to come from the speakers. When idiling or cruising with the gas pedal NOT being pressed there isnt much noise. It is in sequence with the throttle, the more I am on the gas, the more it whines! I might try to see if removing the onstar connector from the back of the radio creates the fix. But like I mentioned Gmgeek is going to get me a new connector with the appropriate wires. So hopefully that will work. However, I have to find a way to get the old pins out of the C1 connector.

The VSS wire wouldnt be causing this somehow would it?
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:35 PM
CF Active Member

I highly doubt that it would be the VSS, but if you wanted to try unplugging C4 you could do that as an experimentbut then your NAV would only update based upon actual GPS refreshes.

Old February 25th, 2007, 1:38 PM
CF Active Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: biglg

Bad news, I never had nor did I do the lockpick!

The whine is from something with the new nav unit. I did it all in one day! The unit itself, the vss wire, the onstar voice commands, etc. I was installed in one setting, the sound has been there ever since!

I honestly cant remember if the whine is there with the radio off. I do believe it is, and yes it seems to come from the speakers. When idiling or cruising with the gas pedal NOT being pressed there isnt much noise. It is in sequence with the throttle, the more I am on the gas, the more it whines! I might try to see if removing the onstar connector from the back of the radio creates the fix. But like I mentioned Gmgeek is going to get me a new connector with the appropriate wires. So hopefully that will work. However, I have to find a way to get the old pins out of the C1 connector.

Big

Another thought, I know you did the Kenwood rear camera. Where did you pick up +12 & ground for it. You could very well have a ground loop there that is your cause for noise. Pull C4 and see what happens....

Old February 25th, 2007, 2:03 PM
CF Addict

Konas,
The camera was done after the rest of the install. Whine was there before the camera.

However, I went out and pulled the 2 wire plug out of the onstar box. All I did was pull it out of the onstar, and left the two wires/pins in the c1 connector. SO there was no connection at the onstar box.

The whine is gone!! NO more whine. However, obviously I dont have the functions that went along with this connection. Is all I am going to lose is my voice commands?? Nothing else? This wont affect anything else at all??

If it only affects the voice commands that I could never get to work then I dont care. It was junk.

One funny thing about the voice commands, it would work for my wife 90% of the time. HOwever, it only worked for me about 10% of the time. I wonder if voice tone is the issue, her higher pitched voice, maybe more clear or something for the system???

So, if I can only get the two pins out of the c1 connector I can slap on the new connector that gmgeek is hooking me up with!
Old February 25th, 2007, 2:16 PM
CF Active Member

Ok, so then if simply pulling the plug fixed the issue I surmise that you have an issue that a drain wire would resolve. As for Voice Commands, as I said before - for me at least it never worked well whether for Nav or phone dialing. If I have to repeat myself several times before the system understands what's the point? Give me a fricken keyboard!

So now that you know the issue why do you want to doa new C1 connector (NAV C1)? - or do you mean a new C3 connector for the Onstar box (VCIM C3)? All you need to do is twist the existing wires and add a drain wire.

And yes, pulling the plug will only affect the voice commands - everything else works fine.
Old February 25th, 2007, 3:07 PM
CF Addict

I think gmgeek is sending me a new onstar c3 connector with the 2 wires that go to C1 pins 4 & 5 and also will have a drain wire. So I am wanting to completely remove the onstar c3(which is unplugged right now) and the 2 wires that go into the C1. This way I can take the new connector and wires from GM Geek and use his new harness and wires.

You simply think adding the drain wire would be a solution? If so, where can I get the little pins that go on the end of the wires and into the C1 and C3 connectors?? I checked everywhere locally and no one had any??
Old February 25th, 2007, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

When I got my kit from JP I asked them to send me some pins as well & they sent me like 6 with the kit.

Yes, I think the drain wire would solve, but then I'd be curious what gm_geek's recommendation would be for connection location on C1. I know where I put it, but I guessed & it works so I assume I guessed right.
Old February 25th, 2007, 3:15 PM
CF Addict

Yeah, I will have to try.

Here are my options, use the JP customs C3 connecor and wires to the C1, and add a drain wire IF I can find some PINS!

Or, somehow REMOVE the PINS from the C1 4 & 5 locations and completely remove the JPcustoms harness and wires. Then use the new that I am getting from gmgeek!

I thought you guys said the wires JP gave me are crap??? Wouldnt I want to remove that entire harness and wires from the entire setup?
Old February 25th, 2007, 3:58 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

Yeah, I will have to try.

Here are my options, use the JP customs C3 connecor and wires to the C1, and add a drain wire IF I can find some PINS! But you have to twist the wires as well......

Or, somehow REMOVE the PINS from the C1 4 & 5 locations and completely remove the JPcustoms harness and wires. Then use the new that I am getting from gmgeek! Yes, and that might be difficult unless you can get the correct removal tool

I thought you guys said the wires JP gave me are crap??? Wouldnt I want to remove that entire harness and wires from the entire setup?
No, I did not say they were crap, I just did not use them - I used shielded twisted pair cable instead - I just played it safe based on my electronics experience.But ifwhat you said earlier is correct ("JP saysthey all whine") perhaps their "no drain wire" implementation is lacking. We could answer this question by having someone with a factory NAV install telling us how theirs is wired (i.e., any twisted pair coming off their C1 connector) anybody doing a lockpik install could check.

I also added the VSS wire before I got the JP C4 connector by tapping it into my lockpik C4 harness - just used some teflon coated 20ga wire I had laying around from a recent tube amplifier rebuild. It is possible that simply adding the drain might alleviate the problem. Just a question of how deep you want to go in troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?