Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

One other thing I learned about the NAV & how it reacts - after you reinitialize it by a disconnect/reconnect of the battery - it takes time for it to boot the OS and complete its initialization cycle. In fact I'd venture to say from observing mine that 15 minutes or more might be the time it takes. So, this is my guess: while you think hitting the bass control made the NAV "wake up", I'm betting that it was simply coincidence that the NAV completed its initialization cycle while you were poking at the controls!

Lesson here is that new GM techs better have a computer science and electrical engineering degree........
Old February 24th, 2007, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

One other thing I learned about the NAV & how it reacts - after you reinitialize it by a disconnect/reconnect of the battery - it takes time for it to boot the OS and complete its initialization cycle. In fact I'd venture to say from observing mine that 15 minutes or more might be the time it takes. So, this is my guess: while you think hitting the bass control made the NAV "wake up", I'm betting that it was simply coincidence that the NAV completed its initialization cycle while you were poking at the controls!

Lesson here is that new GM techs better have a computer science and electrical engineering degree........
Oh, and one other thought. I noticed that on my NAV if you do the battery disconnect/reconnect in the garage the NAV will not complete the init cycle until it can sync the GPS which means that you have to put it outside until it pulls coordinates from the Sats. This drove me crazy some time back until I figured out what was happening - in that case half the onscreen buttons were missing from the NAV screen & when it did complete the cycle I had the same "volume up" experience you describe.
Old February 24th, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about the garage thing also. Because I was in the garage today, and I was not taking it ouside because it is raining and I just spend 3 hours cleaning/waxing the thing! I konw that XM wont work in my garage, however I thought onstar would!

As for the 15 minute idea, I dont think it was coincidental timing. I had been watching tv for probably an hour after it had been hooked back up! I dont know, I am just glad it is all working!
Old February 24th, 2007, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Was it inside or outside while you were watching TV?
Old February 24th, 2007, 9:27 PM
CF Addict

Inside the entire time. Like I mentioned it has been raining all day. I am badly wanting to go drive it to see if the whinning sound is gone. But I am not going to get it all dirty after its fresh bath and wax job!

HOpefully tomorrow will be better and I can check it then!
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:42 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only 2 things could happened.
1. You did not connect your GPS antenna
2. or just like konasmrzsaid, because you are inside of building and not getting any signal for GPS to initilize your clock
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:10 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Did you still have the increased bass level after everything got back to normal? I never did think my bass was very strong considering it's coming from a sub.
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:16 AM
CF Addict

Shark,
It sounds like normal, or like it did before today. I never really had the volume up once I reinstalled the HU so I didnt even notice there was a low volume issue. UNTIL, i pushed the bass down one notch and it woke it up. However, it is like it has yesterday. NOthing special.

The subs in these things are only 6" subs! They do pretty decent for tiny bose subs.
Old February 25th, 2007, 1:28 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

I was just comparing to my old TrailBlazer which had the Bose but no sub. Seemed like bass was better but maybe I'm just losing more of my hearing. Damn tinitus.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
CF Addict

Whinning is still there! GRRRR.

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?