Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

Getting back to the original topic as the poster above asked is there anybody that can furnish a pic of the connector that goes into the back of the nav that the two wires from the Onstar module connect into? I would like to know exactly what position the pins 4 & 5 are (where the two wires from the Onstar are inserted into the factory connector) looking directly at the connector when it has been removed from the radio?
Thanks for any help with this, getting ready to install the radio when all the parts arrive.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: genestoy

Getting back to the original topic as the poster above asked is there anybody that can furnish a pic of the connector that goes into the back of the nav that the two wires from the Onstar module connect into? I would like to know exactly what position the pins 4 & 5 are (where the two wires from the Onstar are inserted into the factory connector) looking directly at the connector when it has been removed from the radio?
Thanks for any help with this, getting ready to install the radio when all the parts arrive.
I hope this will help.
On C4 brown connector you guys use only pins_5_6_7_
the rest of the wires are for Denalis and Escalades

Old February 22nd, 2007, 1:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gmgeek,

After my navigation upgrade and hooking up the onstar harness and wiring for voice commands I now have a humming or buzzing/whistling sound when accelerating. Someone else recently told me theirs did this also. JP told me this was common and they all do it. Can you confirm this is common? Is there a fix? It isnt that loud, almost sounds like a quiet supercharger or throttle body spacer whistling!

P.S. I will let you know on the camera, try to sell mine first! Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: biglg

gmgeek,

After my navigation upgrade and hooking up the onstar harness and wiring for voice commands I now have a humming or buzzing/whistling sound when accelerating. Someone else recently told me theirs did this also. JP told me this was common and they all do it. Can you confirm this is common? Is there a fix? It isnt that loud, almost sounds like a quiet supercharger or throttle body spacer whistling!

P.S. I will let you know on the camera, try to sell mine first! Thanks.
the harness that they sent you for on star, was it 2 or 3 wires harness?. originaly, the way they come with 3 wires, one of them is a drain wire, as you can see on picture above.that takes care of any type of noices

also all those wires have to be twisted. that's what many manufacturers do in order to eliminate noise
Old February 22nd, 2007, 2:06 PM
CF Addict

I am trying to remember. TMW could probably help me out more. I am thinking the JPcustoms connector they sent me was brown (maybe white), and went in the back of the onstar box. I seem to remember it only having ONE wire? Could this be right? I also got a connector for the c4 location the back of the HU. I cant remember now! Can anyone tell me what I have, LMAO. I am 90% sure that I only have one wire coming out of the connector I added to the back of the onstar.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 2:27 PM
CF Active Member

connector for the on star should have 3 wire twist. 2 of them go to your C1 connector behined Your radio, and third one is blunt cut, and they should be all taped

Old February 22nd, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to remember. TMW could probably help me out more. I am thinking the JPcustoms connector they sent me was brown (maybe white), and went in the back of the onstar box. I seem to remember it only having ONE wire? Could this be right? I also got a connector for the c4 location the back of the HU. I cant remember now! Can anyone tell me what I have, LMAO. I am 90% sure that I only have one wire coming out of the connector I added to the back of the onstar.
JP sends out unshielded wire (I got their kit as well) - I removed the JP supplied wire (used only the JP supplied conncertor) and used twisted pair shielded RS232 (computer communications) cable. I connected the drains at both the ONstar box and C1 on the NAV and mine makes no noise at all. That said, I never did try it with the JP wires so I don't know if they are acting as an antenna and picking up RFI - but I assumed they would and at a minimum would have hooked up the old cordless drill & twisted the unshielded cable.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 3:37 PM
CF Addict

WELL SOB! Gmgeek, Can you hook me up with what I need to make this **** work right! What would you charge me to get me new connectors with the wires ready to go plug and play to make this simple for a rookie. Pisses me off that it is done, and now I have this damn noise and it is because of the wires used. GRRRR.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 4:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one wire connection was to C4 for VSS; there were two wires to C1 from the Onstar box for Voice command

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?