Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2007, 4:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

The one wire connection was to C4 for VSS; there were two wires to C1 from the Onstar box for Voice command
EXACTLY. Damn, it had been so long I couldnt remember what I had done. Yes, the onstar connector JP sent me had two wires that went into the C1 Connecor. Pins 4 & 5 if I remember correctly. So what can I do to get rid of this damn whistling sound? Unhook the connector? If this will only affect the voice commands then i could care less, they suck anyways!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: biglg

ORIGINAL: konasmrz

The one wire connection was to C4 for VSS; there were two wires to C1 from the Onstar box for Voice command
EXACTLY. Damn, it had been so long I couldnt remember what I had done. Yes, the onstar connector JP sent me had two wires that went into the C1 Connecor. Pins 4 & 5 if I remember correctly. So what can I do to get rid of this damn whistling sound? Unhook the connector? If this will only affect the voice commands then i could care less, they suck anyways!
Yes, all you need to do is "pull the plug". I had the same thought that it wasn't worth the effort - no matter what I try to use voice for (including dialing the phone) I usually have to repeat myself several times before the system understands
Old February 22nd, 2007, 9:48 PM
CF Addict

Is there a way to get to the back of the onstar unit without going in from behind the head unit?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
CF Addict

Would cutting the two wires cure the problem??

Also, there is no way the VSS wire is causing the noise is there? Obviously it was from JP customs also and it is the same cheap wire!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
CF Active Member

I originally ran my VSS before I hooked up the Voice wires - no noise present. Also, to clarify the earlier "pull the plug" question, there are two possible sources for the noise problem you describe that I can think of :
1. Electrical "noise" (RFI) being picked up through the parallel, untwisted wires that are acting as an antenna (most likely cause)
2. Noise being picked up as the result of no drain wire interconnect between the NAV unit and the Onstar box

That said, if the cause of the problem is #1, then simply unplugging the connector from the Onstar box will still leave the "antenna" wires connected to the NAV unit, and if they remain routed in their present location the noise will still be there - you'd have to actually cut them at the C1 connector. However, if #2, then unplugging the connector at Onstar would stop the noise.

Since you need to tear it apart again anyway why not just try this:
1. Pull the NAV & unplug the Onstar connector. Twist the connector by hand until the existing two wires have 2-3 "twists" per inch. Try to keep the twists consistent.

If this does not work then you can:

2. Connect a drain wire between pin 5 on the onstar connector and pin 11 on C1 (I just tapped it into my GMlockpik harness)

- OR - just cut the wires at the back of C1 pins 4&5 & be done with it.......
Old February 24th, 2007, 5:35 PM
CF Addict

I went out to mess with my onstar wires for the voice commands to try and twist the wires to stop the whinning noise. I unplugged every harness in the back of the HU and pulled it out. I get it all done plug it back up and everything works, BUT the damn clock. I go into set it and it when I push the hours/minutes it never shows anything on the screen. There are NO numbers there. Does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on? Is there a wire for this that might be messed up? Is it something internally on the HU? Or does it just take a while for it to work. I dont ever recall having to reset the clock after unplugging everything on the HU and pluggin it back up? GRRRRR, what could this be? Anyone?
Old February 24th, 2007, 6:00 PM
CF Addict

Some pics of the issue!

Old February 24th, 2007, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

You did disconnect the battery first before you pulled the HU right? If not I'd disconnect the neg cable for a few minutes then reconnect so that the OS in the HU reboots.

So is the whining fixed?
Old February 24th, 2007, 6:41 PM
CF Addict

Ok, I actually didnt disconnect the negative battery cable? I actually forgot and remembered immediately after I had plugged it back up. Too little to late. WOuld this cause this issue?

I have since unplugged everything! I also unplugged the negative battery cable for 10 or more minutes. I have since plugged it all back up and NOTHING. No clock. I dont know what the hell is going on. I havent had this issue before! GRRR.
Old February 24th, 2007, 7:45 PM
CF Addict

This is crazy! I tried everything, and listen to the cure! Uninstalled everything from the HU again. I took the neg bat cable off, everything. Plugged it back up nothing still no working clock.

SO, I have tried everything, I THOUGHT. I hit the audio button, I adjust the bass one notch DOWN! THe radio all the sudden at least doubles in volume!!!!! I was like WTF! So then, I mess with a few more settings! DOnt know why, but it like WOKE something up!

I go back to the clock and sure enough it programmed right up? What the heck is up with the radio's in these things. HOw did adjusting the bass DOWN one notch cause my entire radio to double in volume. It added a lot more bass and the volume all of the sudden sounded amplified?

Oh well it all works, just strange how adjusting the bass down fixed everything!

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?