Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Chevy 5.3 issues continuing. Class Action time.

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2016, 7:26 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy 5.3 issues continuing. Class Action time.

Another friend, this one with a 2008 Silverado 5.3, now has to replace his engine after only 99,800 miles. He looked here on the forum and started counting the VAST numbers of owners of this engine who are all having the exact same issues and determined, it's time for some Class Action. He's speaking with an attorney here in Maryland tomorrow and I'm joining him. It's time for General Motors to admit they knew about these issues, yet, kept selling hundreds of thousands of these engines, without regard for the vehicle owners' safety. Anybody else fed up and ready for this?
Old July 7th, 2016, 7:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

What failed on the engine and what was determined to be the cause?
What is the timeline start to finish for a class action suit such as this?
Old July 7th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Good luck with your endeavor. My limited experience with class action is that each individual gets very little compensation upon winning. Just don't plan on getting a new engine or reimbursement for one you already paid for.
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:57 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
What failed on the engine and what was determined to be the cause?
What is the timeline start to finish for a class action suit such as this?
First started losing coolant. Got an oil change and the mechanic noticed an orange tint in the oil draining from the pan. Engine started blowing smoke and I noticed a knock coming from the bottom of the engine. Stabilitrak and traction control started malfunctioning. Engine lost power and was going through a tank of gas weekly. Took it to my mechanic and another shop, they both said the engine was gone. Then one Chevy expert told me that the heads on my engine were manufactured in Mexico and that GM knew all the heads coming from there were faulty. We're not going to the attorney until tomorrow. He's in court all day today. Something has to be done about this. They KNOW these engines are built to fail and they're doing nothing about it. It cost me $6400 that I want back. I've treated this truck like a baby, service records and all. I used to brag about how long a Chevy engine would last. Now, I can't wait to get rid of it.
Old July 7th, 2016, 1:53 PM
Super Moderator

keep me updated.
Old July 7th, 2016, 2:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Class action make the attorney rich, hardly ever if at all ever gets anything of substance for the people looking for restitution.

Your better off looking for a local atty that will right a nasty letter.
Old July 8th, 2016, 8:23 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to pinpoint the exact failure. the engine should be torn down and inspected...everything documented. loss of coolant, engine knock and the engine was gone won't cut it.

the majority of engine problems I have seen on this forum and working at a chevy dealer during the entire run of that generation of trucks...was oil burning and afm lifter failures. Cracked heads and bottom end knocks were uncommon.

If you can put together a case against one of the largest automakers in the world with no assistance from the nhtsa, that would be impressive.
Old July 8th, 2016, 6:43 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

How did the meeting with the attorney go today?
Old July 8th, 2016, 9:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would love to see the documentation on how/who said bad cylinder heads were being produced? I do know there were select cases of bad heads that would crack but in most cases that would have been covered under warranty anyway but I have only seen 2 or 3 of those. I sure hope you have more basis than just somebodys word otherwise you're just wasting more money. Other than occasional afm issues the 5.3s are almost bulletproof.
Old July 15th, 2017, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

Sorry for the year delay in responding. First off, the meeting with this Baltimore attorney went like crap. Said unless I could come up with a couple hundred people having the same issue, it would be moot. Secondly, the guy who informed me about the heads is a pretty well known, ASE Certified mechanic. He worked at GM here in Baltimore before it closed down. Then, he and his brother opened their own shop. He described every symptom to a T. Guessing I was better off just buying another engine. All that smoke going through my exhaust system also fouled my catalytic converter. Guess I'm buying one of those next and changing both sensors. My Hoe will be 10 years old in September of this year and I have no plans of getting rid of it. Thanks for all your insight guys.