Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clunk Noise over bumps at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2019, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk Noise over bumps at low speeds

I'm at a loss right now. I have a 2007 Tahoe with 110k miles. I've been hearing a clunky noise every time I drive over a bump. If I hold the brakes, it doesn't seem to be as bad. I've replaced both upper and lower control arms, ball joints, hubs, axles, shocks (front and rear), sway bar links, rotors and calipers. I'm one of those refuse to take it to a shop kinda people, especially since I've been able to do all of this. please help!!!

Last edited by JoeyTizzle88; July 14th, 2019 at 3:20 PM.
Old July 14th, 2019, 4:06 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The sway bar mount may have broken off the frame. See this thread:2008 Suburban 1500 sway bar mount tore out of the frame

If that's what it is, make sure to scroll down to page 3 and 4 for info on where to get a new bracket to weld on. Someone here makes and sells them as does GM.
Old July 15th, 2019, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
The sway bar mount may have broken off the frame. See this thread:2008 Suburban 1500 sway bar mount tore out of the frame

If that's what it is, make sure to scroll down to page 3 and 4 for info on where to get a new bracket to weld on. Someone here makes and sells them as does GM.
Old July 15th, 2019, 11:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like you nearly took care of everything that could be making such a sound.

Did you do a complete strut replace on the front or just a rebuild where you reuse the springs, top mounting bracket, bushing and isolator?

Have you been able to identify from which general location it's coming from? Front, rear, left front, right front, etc?

How about the plastic splash shield that mounts underneath between the bumper and engine? They all break and can flap around.

Right engine mount maybe. If the left were broken, the torque of the engine would push the engine up on that side making a clunking noise every time you step on the gas from a stop. Although, I guess stepping on the gas from a stop in reverse should do the same on the left.

The only other thing I can think of is a tool or rock or something is sitting on something in the engine bay and moves when a bump is hit.

After I was finished working on my transmission a couple months ago, I kept hearing this rattling sound when the window was down. I then went to grab my LED flashlight and couldn't find it. It has a very high strength magnet attached to it and I remembered the last place I stuck it to was the catalytic converter. Sure enough, there it was and still turned on and working. I'm surprised the heat didn't damage it. Solved the rattling sound.
Old July 15th, 2019, 2:18 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't rule out the slip yoke clunk
Old July 15th, 2019, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
Sounds like you nearly took care of everything that could be making such a sound.

Did you do a complete strut replace on the front or just a rebuild where you reuse the springs, top mounting bracket, bushing and isolator?

Have you been able to identify from which general location it's coming from? Front, rear, left front, right front, etc?

How about the plastic splash shield that mounts underneath between the bumper and engine? They all break and can flap around.

Right engine mount maybe. If the left were broken, the torque of the engine would push the engine up on that side making a clunking noise every time you step on the gas from a stop. Although, I guess stepping on the gas from a stop in reverse should do the same on the left.

The only other thing I can think of is a tool or rock or something is sitting on something in the engine bay and moves when a bump is hit.

After I was finished working on my transmission a couple months ago, I kept hearing this rattling sound when the window was down. I then went to grab my LED flashlight and couldn't find it. It has a very high strength magnet attached to it and I remembered the last place I stuck it to was the catalytic converter. Sure enough, there it was and still turned on and working. I'm surprised the heat didn't damage it. Solved the rattling sound.
Originally Posted by in2pro
Don't rule out the slip yoke clunk
Everything was brand new, complete shocks. I pulled the skid plate off and still doing it. It sounds to me like either from either the front passenger side or the front middle of the engine bay. I thought maybe a tool got left up somewhere but theres no place that I could've fit a tool to match the size of the noise. I'm going to try to upload a video on Youtube and I'll share the link. The only other option that I could possibly think is a body mount that looks a little ratty. I'll see if I can upload a picture of it.

I dont think its the slip yolk only because it only rattles when I hit a bump, in 2wd or 4wd. And I can mash the gas and theres no other noise than the engine.

Last edited by JoeyTizzle88; July 15th, 2019 at 5:30 PM.
Old July 15th, 2019, 6:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clunky noise fix

[QUOTE=JoeyTizzle88;431655]I'm at a loss right now. I have a 2007 Tahoe with 110k miles. I've been hearing a clunky noise every time I drive over a bump. If I hold the brakes, it doesn't seem to be as bad. I've replaced both upper and lower control arms, ball joints, hubs, axles, shocks (front and rear), sway bar links, rotors and calipers. I'm one of those refuse to take it to a shop kinda people, especially since I've been able to do all of this. please help!!![/QU

You have nothing to lose here and everything to gain, so do what I did...it worked, and it's free. A similar situation occurred on my '01 Suburban. It was so bad that I could actually feel the problem through the steering wheel when I hit a bump, so bad that I considered getting rid of the vehicle. There was a common problem back then with intermediate steering shafts...many shafts got replaced at considerable expense, but my original remains and I haven't heard or felt anything in the over 5 years since I did this simple trick. Look under the dash at the steering column. Mine was spotless under there except for the yoke connection between the steering column and the upper intermediate steering shaft (I think I said that right). There was so much dust on the joint that it looked like a chia pet. I cleaned it off and sprayed WD40 or silicon on it (I don't remember which spray off hand). I also noticed that the solid upper shaft entered a metal sleeve as it went through the fire wall and there was some spotty surface rust at that point, probably from cold parts meeting warm parts in summer or winter. I sprayed that as well. The clunking noise and feel were gone nearly immediately, and have not returned in the five years since. Like I said, you have nothing to lose, and hopefully this will work for you...for free.
Old July 16th, 2019, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=subfan597;431724]
Originally Posted by JoeyTizzle88
I'm at a loss right now. I have a 2007 Tahoe with 110k miles. I've been hearing a clunky noise every time I drive over a bump. If I hold the brakes, it doesn't seem to be as bad. I've replaced both upper and lower control arms, ball joints, hubs, axles, shocks (front and rear), sway bar links, rotors and calipers. I'm one of those refuse to take it to a shop kinda people, especially since I've been able to do all of this. please help!!![/QU

You have nothing to lose here and everything to gain, so do what I did...it worked, and it's free. A similar situation occurred on my '01 Suburban. It was so bad that I could actually feel the problem through the steering wheel when I hit a bump, so bad that I considered getting rid of the vehicle. There was a common problem back then with intermediate steering shafts...many shafts got replaced at considerable expense, but my original remains and I haven't heard or felt anything in the over 5 years since I did this simple trick. Look under the dash at the steering column. Mine was spotless under there except for the yoke connection between the steering column and the upper intermediate steering shaft (I think I said that right). There was so much dust on the joint that it looked like a chia pet. I cleaned it off and sprayed WD40 or silicon on it (I don't remember which spray off hand). I also noticed that the solid upper shaft entered a metal sleeve as it went through the fire wall and there was some spotty surface rust at that point, probably from cold parts meeting warm parts in summer or winter. I sprayed that as well. The clunking noise and feel were gone nearly immediately, and have not returned in the five years since. Like I said, you have nothing to lose, and hopefully this will work for you...for free.

I'm going to check that out tonight when i get home. thanks for the insight lol
Old July 16th, 2019, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JoeyTizzle88;431748]
Originally Posted by subfan597

I'm going to check that out tonight when i get home. thanks for the insight lol
When you do this only spray the yoke, then take it for a spin. Because I sprayed both areas at the same time I wasn't sure which did the trick. It's possible both needed to be sprayed, but let me know, assuming it works for you.

Last edited by subfan597; July 16th, 2019 at 3:13 PM.
Old July 16th, 2019, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

[QUOTE=subfan597;431762]
Originally Posted by JoeyTizzle88

When you do this only spray the yoke, then take it for a spin. Because I sprayed both areas at the same time I wasn't sure which did the trick. It's possible both needed to be sprayed, but let me know, assuming it works for you.

i dont think thats the problem lol.

Quick Reply: Clunk Noise over bumps at low speeds