Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?

Hi.

My 2001 Tahoe LT has 155k and the airshocks are shot. The compressor kicks on several times in one 5 mile drive. Anyway, the cheapest I can find replacements OEM + Non-Oem shocks are $620 for each corner.

I plan on sell this vehicle and do not want to invest that much money into it. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the autoride and replace the shocks with standard shocks? According to GM and the local Carquest store, there is not direct conversion.

If there is an existing thread on this issue, please post the link.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 9th, 2009, 2:17 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Seems like you could unplug the compressor and disconnect the rods and put regular shocks on.
Old March 9th, 2009, 7:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Just beware that if you sell it without disclosing that you have bypassed the auto-ride you could be in for some grief from the buyer for such a costly repair.... I'm all for buyer-beware but just a thought....
Old March 9th, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I would certainly inform the next buyer.

I have already disconnected the compressor, but the problem is I can't seem to find the non-autoride shocks that will fit. From what i understand, there are no standard shocks that can be installed. I am hoping that if there is then someone in this forum that has done this conversion may come forward with their advice.
Old March 9th, 2009, 9:31 PM
Administrator

I checked out KYB's site and selected without auto ride and came up with these... I can't see why there would be any difference between vehicles with or without the auto ride. Your right thou they ain't cheap
Attached Thumbnails Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?-kyb.jpg   Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?-kyb-auto-level.jpg  
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I guess I was thinking the non-autoride shocks would fit.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Yeah, you would think. I found an outfit online that actually converts standard shocks to fit the suspension that an Autoride vehicle has. This is an indication to me that no aftermarket non-autoride shock is available. Actually, I have only found one manufacture that sells their front autoride shocks as an OEM replacement, but cannot find anyone other than GM that sells the rear ones. Can you believe that the MSRP on the OEM ones is $600 a piece?!
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Well, I just came across this on just answer.com.

"There is no way to bypass the factory setup without replacing with the correct shocks. The ride control module is looking for the inputs from the shocks and not seeing any data. That will set trouble codes and hence illuminate the telltale on the dash. On some older Cadillacs it was possible to replace these with standard shocks but the systems on the newer GM vehicles make it impossible to bypass the sensors and modules without setting trouble codes. And, unfortunately alot of the times the parts are available only thru GM."

So even if I can find a shock that fits, i may still ahve issues with the error codes. I am sure there is a way to fake out the system to appear that the shocks are autoride, but where do I begin?

Has anyone gone down this road?
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:59 AM
Administrator

I think you could probably use standard shocks in place of the auto ride ones but as you said it will flag it with codes.
As for fooling the system that is probably more work and effort then its worth, you could just pull the lamp out of the dash, however if you do that then you won't know when any codes set other then to check them regularly and you probably won't be able to pass state inspection without a functioning CE/SE light.
What about checking a junk yard for a set of auto ride socks?
Old March 10th, 2009, 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I think you could probably use standard shocks in place of the auto ride ones but as you said it will flag it with codes.
As for fooling the system that is probably more work and effort then its worth, you could just pull the lamp out of the dash, however if you do that then you won't know when any codes set other then to check them regularly and you probably won't be able to pass state inspection without a functioning CE/SE light.
What about checking a junk yard for a set of auto ride socks?
I have been on the look out for some, but it seems that the junkyardsmen know their value and want plenty of $$$ for them as well.

Quick Reply: Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?