Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Tahoe and the "Service autoride" light comes and goes. I bought the refurbished shocks and comp from Arnott and installed them myself for $600. It did no good as far as the light goes. It still comes and goes and the dealer said that it might be the ESCM. $900!!! But that may not fix it either but they will not take it back if it doesn't. There is also a BCM computer that is involved and I didn't price it but it probably is just as much as the other one. The system can be defeated but the computers have to be reprogrammed to the no auto ride configuration. That takes a dealer or someone with the codes to use and the computer setup to do it with. GM should have gone bankrupt!
Old April 27th, 2011, 1:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Need to check the sensors and their connections. What led you to replace the shocks and compressor?
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

@inspectorudy , Welcome to the forum,
Your vehicle is 9 years old... that really isn't bad if you are just now getting these errors...
Vehicles are not meant to last forever, they can't and if they built them to be more robust most of us could not afford them....

Get yourself a factory manual and you can do a lot of the troubleshooting yourself, granted you may not have access to all the needed tools it should give you a reasonable reference...
Old April 30th, 2011, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default A manual will do no good

This system is so complex that a manual without the proper scanning equipment would do no good. I took it to a Chevy dealer and they could not get any codes from the system. Their usual repair method is to plug and play(you pay) until they get the right piece. To make a system that is so complex but which is so un-needed with no simple way to repair it is the typical engineer's way of doing something. I've had auto level on other cars and it is a good feature but this system lowers the ride height at 55 mph for better mileage. It will take me 20 years to get any results of mileage improvement to pay for this repair. This is the number 1 complaint on the German cars. Too many computer controlled devices that are so interwoven that when one starts to act up it can affect many other devices. This Tahoe is the best car I have ever owned and the most trouble free. To repair this silly system can easily cost more than a new transmission to repair and its usefulness is questionable at best. BTW Arnott will sell you the shocks and compressor for about $600 total but they offer NO HELP with any trouble shooting. The advice I got from them was to disconnect the ground on the battery before working on the car!
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by inspectorudy
This is the number 1 complaint on the German cars. Too many computer controlled devices that are so interwoven that when one starts to act up it can affect many other devices.
My co-worker has an Mercedes S class that has been in the shop several times for the auto leveling...fortunately he has an extended warranty otherwise it would be in the $1000 for repairs....
Old May 2nd, 2011, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Disabling Autoride

My mechanic is a real wiz when it comes to electronics, we will try to fool the system with resistors in the plug ins for the front shocks I replaced with regular shocks, backs still in Suburban. Reason I wil try this, I plugged in the old shocks to see if the light would go off, it did for a day or so, another way to possibly fool the system, cut off the ends of the old shcks-Bilsteins, stick them in the plug ins. We'll see.
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone tried the following solution:

PASTE FOLLOWS

I have the Helm manual for my 02 2500 Suburban (With Autoride) and have been reading it intensively and here is what I think I found out. First off, because my truck is a 2500 it doesn't have the load leveling feature with the air pump.
The system is controlled by the SCM (Suspension Control Module)which detects body roll and suspension movement and adjusts the shocks accordingly. This info is also fed to the BCM(Body Control Module)which also monitors wheel speed, ABS and the EVO. The RPO codes (Z55 and ZK3) are input into the BCM which monitors all the functions of these 2 codes and if you disconnect the shocks or the system detects a voltage flux or change you get the light show on the dash. The Manual states that if you replace the BCM you are supposed to input all your RPO codes into it. If you disconnect the SCM and then input all your RPO codes into the BCM except the 2 autoride codes the system shouldn't detect the Autoride. The reason for disconnecting the SCM is so the BCM doesn't receive any info from it about the suspension. I read on GM-Trucks that a guy with Autoride on his rig pulled the fuse and had no problems except for the light show on the dash. The only catch here is you have to have the GM scan tool to do the programming. I don't know for sure if this idea will work but logic dictates it should so I want to throw it out there to see if anyone has had success getting rid of this system. I don't want to spend $1600.00 to replace the shocks when they finally pack it in. The dealer wouldn't give me any help as well. Let me know what you think and feel free to throw any questions at me in case I missed something. Sorry for the long post.

Autoride Disconnect

Last update on this was one month after the conversion with no problems reported. Given the cost of all the of the components, if it works it is a no brainer.

Lastly - anyone know if it is true that the 2500 does not have the compressor?

thanks!
Old March 9th, 2016, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default convert autoride front shocks on 2002 gmc yukon to gas shocks

My 2002 Gmc Yukon Denali has a z55 suspension. What I want to do is change out the front shocks to simple gas shocks. My entire system has not worked in several years and I have no warning lights on. I am going through front tires almost every year due to bad shocks on the front. Can I go cheap and replace the OEM shocks out to Gas shocks?

Thanks,
Dargent
Old March 9th, 2016, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You should check out Arnott, a forum sponsor, for possible shocks that will fit.
Old August 13th, 2016, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

I recently purchased a yukon xl 2500 w/ non-functioning autoride and have been on a mission to rid myself of the system. My intention when I purchased it was to put a 6" suspension lift on the vehicle (without autoride - anyone with lift experience any advice would be appreciated). Little did I know the dark abyss into which I was jumping LOL... Anyway this may help... I found it at the link listed:

Autoride Disconnect Success - 1999-2006 & 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM-Trucks.com

Finally, [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.gif[/IMG]after reading my Helm manual until I was crosseyed, there is a solution to getting rid of the Autoride feature on your rig and not having to buy those ridiculously priced shocks. The only difference in the Autoride system between a 1500 and 2500 is the 2500 doesn't have the Auto leveling feature with the air pump. Anyway I will give a brief explanation of how the system works and then tell you the solution. The Shocks and Ride height are monitored by the SCM(Suspension Control Module) which adjusts the Suspension, Shock Damping, Body Roll, Steering control, Ride Height and ABS according to your speed and road conditions. This info is also sent to the BCM(Body Control Module)which also aids in these functions. If you disconnect any part of the system the BCM sends out an error code and your dash lights up. I was reading about the BCM and found out that if you replace the BCM you have to input all the RPO codes on your vehicle so every option will work. Once the Autoride RPO codes are removed(Z55 on the 2500) and(Z55, ZK3 on the 1500) the BCM no longer recognizes the signals from the SCM and you can now toss those stupid shocks out and replace them with whatever type of normal shock you choose. I plan on removing my BCM within the next week and have it sent out and reprogrammed. If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know. Also, non of the other functions like the ABS should be affected by this change. I will post an update when I get my BCM back and let everyone know how it works out.

OK, Final Update. I got back my PCM and BCM from Lyndon Wester and I am happy to say everything operates properly. [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image002.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image002.gif[/IMG]The Autoride is gone and there are no error codes displayed. Every other option and piece of Standard Equipment works perfectly in the truck. So, If anyone is interested in getting this done it's a piece of cake. You can now toss those Autoride Shocks and replace them with Bilstein 5100's, or whatever shock you prefer, and not worry about getting raped when you have to replace those Electronic Shocks. Let me know if you have any questions. [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image003.gif[/IMG]

Further to the above, everything works perfectly. No more"Service Ride Control" lights. The truck rides a little better with the Bilsteins, but my suspension is quite stiff to begin with.
If anyone decides to do this you have to get the BCM reprogrammed without the Z55 and ZK3 RPO's. You must also disconnect the SCM(Suspension Control Module) so that there is no error codes once you disconnect the shocks and the position sensors.
There is also a difference in the Autoride between the 1500's and 2500's. With the 2500 all you have to do is disconnect the SCM, Shocks and Position Sensors. With the 1500 you also disconnect the previous parts plus you will have to use a stronger rear spring because of the load leveling feature that doesn't come on the 2500 SUV's. I'm not sure if the Autoride is integrated with the load leveling feature on 1500's, but if it is you will have to disconnect it. It is important that you make sure the SCM is completely disconnected because Autoride also integrates itself with the EVO, Wheel Sensors and Antilock Brakes and the SCM monitors all these functions as well. The SCM on the Suburban/YukonXL is on the right side rear under the panel. I think the Denalis, Yukons and Tahoes have them under the drivers seat. I had Westers Garage do the reprogram for me and he did a fine job. I don't know if any other programmers do this, but it is possible. If you have any questions about this, Please let me know. I pulled all the Autoride wiring out of my truck, because I hate it so much, so it's like the truck never came with it.
And believe me, there is a lot of wiring for the Autoride.

Well, Ive been driving the truck for about a month now since I disconnected the Autoride and am happy to report that everything is working great. I drove the truck in all sorts of different conditions including offroad and the only thing that I noticed was that the ride with the Bilsteins was better. Now anyone with Autoride is not held hostage by the stupid prices that are charged for any of the components of this system. You now have another option. Just a small note, the SCM which controls the entire Autoride system in your vehicle has a list price of $730.00, and that's just one of the components of the system. If anyone is looking for one of these I have one for sale real cheap. Any questions, let me know. And someone said: "You cannot disconnect Autoride". [IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image004.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\DOCUME~1\lmallory\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image005.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Convert an Autoride 01 Tahoe to use standard shocks?