Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

dash cracked in 2007 silverado

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2012, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the info on the letter. I probably will send them something.

I'm not looking to reduce the deductable, I'm looking for them to replace the dash. I'm pushing this to everyone and every outlet I can find. Its total crap when this happens. Its not a wear item, this dash should have lasted at least 10 years. Hell, the 71 Nova I have at home has been neglected for years and the factory dash pad still has never cracked.

My point is, while I like the truck, I've had too many little annoying issues with the truck. Had a water leak in the back window. The sealed it twice, replaced the window, then realized they realized the 3rd brakelight was leaking water in. The headliner was discolored due to this. They refused to replace the headliner (saying its not their issue). Was able to push this up a little and they finally replaced it. Only trouble was we were moving at the time and had some of our personal items in the back. They said it would be left inside overnite. Well, they lied and our wedding album and other items were ruined due to the rain.
The front door speakers stopped working around 60k miles.
The truck developed an annoying buzz in the engine bay, took 3 dealership trips before they figured it out.
Had a shock blow out.
Had a wheel bearing go bad.
Rotors were warped before 50k miles.
The CD player stopped ejecting the disc unless you push it back in and eject it again (right about 40k miles when that started).
Check engine light due to a crank sensor connector not fully seat (was a TSB about it tho).
Rear cup holder would not fold up

I wish I would have known about this while I still worked in the plant that built these trucks. They were still fairly new, so there probably wasn't many issues for us to look at. I still find it funny that someone can pay upwards of 80k for this platform (escalade) and it might have bondo in the body.
Old July 24th, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
Its not a wear item, this dash should have lasted at least 10 years. Hell, the 71 Nova I have at home has been neglected for years and the factory dash pad still has never cracked.
Agreed. I think most of us on this forum take greater than average care of our trucks. And the '78 Cadillac I'm restoring sat parked in the desert for years before I bought it. The vinyl top is shot but the dash is perfect.

Two more steps, if you haven't already done so. First, you can file a complaint with the feds by going here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. Also, fellow forum member ryan77699 has a website on this issue: www.tahoe-cracked-dash.webs.com. He just bought a new dash and replaced it himself--the comparison pictures of old vs. new are pretty interesting.

Good luck!

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE)
1978 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limousine (awaiting restoration)<!-- controls -->
Old September 25th, 2012, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

well, I've seen on facebook that alot of people are getting their dashes replaced for $100. I contacted GM and told them I would take that deal, but they refused. what a crock of ****
Old November 1st, 2012, 9:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
well, I've seen on facebook that alot of people are getting their dashes replaced for $100. I contacted GM and told them I would take that deal, but they refused. what a crock of ****
Originally Posted by mhanlen
Try contacting Louis at louis_henry@gmexpert.com He's been able to help a lot of guys.
Go to https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...67/#post231261
Over 600 post about the same problem. You'll see the same problems and that GM is changing their attitude slowly.
Get your sharp door handles fixed too!
Old November 1st, 2012, 9:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Locking this thread --- see the thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...cracked-26133/ lets try to keep it in one place for consistent answers and feedback