Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DIC Message: "Engine oil low add oil"

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIC Message: "Engine oil low add oil"

I have a 2007 Tahoe and this message has been popping up consistantly for the past 4 or 5 months. The oil level has always shown full on the dipstick. The oil pressure is fine. Just had another oil change today and message still appears.

What can I do to make this message go away?
Old August 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default swell.

well, if your sure you don't need to add oil, I'd check the sensor that reports that.
Old August 21st, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time you change your oil, you have to reset the oil life system. If you don't reset it, then the warning will keep coming on every time you start the vehicle.

Reset Option #1:
1. Turn the ignition key to the ON position (do not start).
2. Depress the accelerator pedal three times within 10 seconds.
3. Watch the DIC for a reset notice.
4. Turn off the ignition. Repeat the above steps if it does not reset.

Reset Option #2:
This is right out of the owners manual -

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message coming on, reset the system. Always reset the engine oil life to 100% after every oil change. It will not reset itself. To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC.

2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the Engine Oil Life System has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you have done this, and the problem still persists, consider a sensor as SabrToothSqrl suggests.

Last edited by ChevyFreak; August 21st, 2012 at 3:32 PM.
Old August 21st, 2012, 3:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't think its change oil light, as an add oil light.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

After my oil change yesterday the oil life was reset to 100%. The "oil life" message is not the problem its the "Engine oil low add oil" message that refuses to go away. I guess I've either got a faulty sensor or faulty DIC. Where is the sensor located?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 1:39 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by James Eagle
I have a 2007 Tahoe and this message has been popping up consistantly for the past 4 or 5 months. The oil level has always shown full on the dipstick. The oil pressure is fine. Just had another oil change today and message still appears.

What can I do to make this message go away?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Agreed, there may be an issue with the sensor! You may need to let the vehicle cool or warm up and cycle the ignition to be sure the message will clear.

If it persists, I recommend consulting with a certified technician. Keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 27th, 2014, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default sensor

replace sensor and unplug battery for 3 mins it will clear